cannot set gun to auto ranging

skypickle
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Watched the track file, even tho it says 3000 on the display when you pressed enter on your IHADSS it immediately shows A followed by range number example A0.2 and it is changing depending on where you are looking. I took control and the gun hit where I was looking without issues.

Edited by XPACT
  • Like 2

• ED Team
  • Solution
29 minutes ago, skypickle said:

Thank you for the reply. I guess that's a bug in the MFD display then. I'll report it in the bugs section.

It's not a bug, the MANRNG readout at B6 on the WPN page will always display the last entered manual range value, even if an auto-range is entered.

• Like 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

2 hours ago, XPACT said:

Watched the track file, even tho it says 3000 on the display when you pressed enter on your IHADSS it immediately shows A followed by range number example A0.2 and it is changing depending on where you are looking. I took control and the gun hit where I was looking without issues.

I'm sorry for being so dumb, but what does that mean, ".. pressed enter on your IHADSS .."?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

30 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

I'm sorry for being so dumb, but what does that mean, ".. pressed enter on your IHADSS .."?

You are not dumb haha that whole sentence was poorly written by me.

What I wanted to say is that when he typed A into KU and pressed enter, immediately after that, IHADSS and TADS showed automatic range mode       with Ax.x       where x.x represents range in kilometers    

in other words... automatic mode engaged correctly but on his WPN page it was still shown as MANRNG 3000 that was confusing him but from reply by Raptor9 that seems to be correct operation. So basically only way to know that you are in automatic range mode is to check your IHADSS or TADS it won't show up on WPN page.

Edited by XPACT
  • Like 1

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

It seems that auto-range-mode is on a per/weapon basis. If you have one weapon selected, set auto-range, and then select a different weapon, mode is not auto-range. Switch back the the previous weapon and it's auto-range again.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

54 minutes ago, admiki said:

Also, If you can't get A to show on IHADSS or TADS, that means you are too high. You need radar alt for it work.

Im at 1600ish set on the mission editor hot start in the air and auto range is not working for me. IHADS still shows M1.5 after setting the range to auto.

I feel the need The need for jet engines to create thrust in order to have differential pressure on the wings which achieves aerodynamics lift at high velocity Ooww!! :pilotfly:

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, AUS_Heracles said:

Im at 1600ish set on the mission editor hot start in the air and auto range is not working for me. IHADS still shows M1.5 after setting the range to auto.

Switch to cruise symbology on IHADSS. If you don't have a number displayed in the mid right side, you are too high

• Like 1

I noticed, when I set the gun to auto range, change to rockets and back to gun - it is reset to fixed 1500m.

Don’t know if this is intended behavior.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

5 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I noticed, when I set the gun to auto range, change to rockets and back to gun - it is reset to fixed 1500m.

It is programmed that way.  Do believe I saw that in one of Casmo's videos.

I do believe Casmo mentioned that auto ranging isn't stored in the buffer, so you have to do it again if you switch away from guns and back again. 

At any rate, I've been finding that lasing targets just before and while firing the gun produces better results. I hadn't realized that lasing ranges your gun, but it seems to do just that (correct me if I'm wrong). 

13700k, 64GB DDR5, RTX 3080, 1x 4TB M.2, 3x 2TB M.2, @ 3440x1440p, Windows 11

• ED Team

Autoranging incurs two issues which is why a lot of pilots dont use it for rocket and/or gun engagements.

1) Because it uses the geometry of the TADS or HMD elevation look-down angle and the radar altimeter value, it is only accurate over flat ground where the target is at the same elevation as the ground directly beneath the helicopter.

2) If the calculation is off due to the reason above, it can be difficult to adjust fire based on landing short prior to the target or landing long beyond the target. If you adjust the elevation angle of your sight (HMD or TADS), it also adjusts its calculation, adding additional ballistic correction to your correction.

Between Manual and Auto, most pilots use Manual ranging for this reason. And yes, it is correct behavior to automatically switch to Manual range if your selected sight is HMD and you action the gun.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

43 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Autoranging incurs two issues which is why a lot of pilots dont use it for rocket and/or gun engagements.

1) Because it uses the geometry of the TADS or HMD elevation look-down angle and the radar altimeter value, it is only accurate over flat ground where the target is at the same elevation as the ground directly beneath the helicopter.

2) If the calculation is off due to the reason above, it can be difficult to adjust fire based on landing short prior to the target or landing long beyond the target. If you adjust the elevation angle of your sight (HMD or TADS), it also adjusts its calculation, adding additional ballistic correction to your correction.

Between Manual and Auto, most pilots use Manual ranging for this reason. And yes, it is correct behavior to automatically switch to Manual range if your selected sight is HMD and you action the gun.

Thanks @Raptor9, that clears things up very well.  Appreciate it!!

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

Yeah, makes sense.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

I noticed something different.

1. On the MPCD, on the WPN page, if the manual range is not boxed, you are not in manual range. Observer the IHADSS to the left of the box to discover the actual mode. If it says "An.n", you are in Auto-Range mode.

• Select Gun.
  • Select Auto-Range mode. You will see that you are in Auto-Range mode in the IHADSS.
  • Select Rockets. You will see that you are no longer in Auto-Range mode (probably in manual - on the WPN page 1500 is boxed.
  • Select Gun. You will see that you are in Auto-Range mode in the IHADSS, again, because the Gun itself is set to use Auto-Range mode, not the Apache.
  • Like 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• ED Team

@Captain Orso, the MANRNG option at B6 on the WPN page is only boxed when the KU is activated for manual range editing/entry, and then un-boxed when Enter is pressed. It doesn't denote that the range is set to Manual.

Regardless of your range source, Auto, Manual, or any other, MANRNG> will always display the last entered manual range value.

Again, to clarify the behavior to everyone as stated in the thread already:

1) If the selected sight is HMD, and the gun is actioned, the range source will revert to Manual when the gun is actioned.

2) If the same thing is happening to you (range reverting to Manual) when HMD is your selected sight and rockets or Hellfire are actioned, this is a bug. Please identify when this is happening as a bug report because it shouldn't.

Keep in mind you can still use other range sources for shooting the gun with HMD, but you must change the range source after the gun is actioned.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1

DCS Rotor-Head

20 hours ago, admiki said:

Switch to cruise symbology on IHADSS. If you don't have a number displayed in the mid right side, you are too high

yea re tried and it works till radar altimeter which is just under 1500. Thanks.

Strange though that is you enable Auto ranging below the limit and then climb above radar altimeter it stays in Auto range. wonder if accuracy get diminished though.

I feel the need The need for jet engines to create thrust in order to have differential pressure on the wings which achieves aerodynamics lift at high velocity Ooww!! :pilotfly:

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

so if the auto ranging is using radar elevation and lookdown value.... correct, it won't give correct range if target is on a hillside or something...

So why doesn't it lase the target to get an accurate range? that would give the correct distance. the apache is capable of lasing targets for distance, correct?

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, razorseal said:

so if the auto ranging is using radar elevation and lookdown value.... correct, it won't give correct range if target is on a hillside or something...

So why doesn't it lase the target to get an accurate range? that would give the correct distance. the apache is capable of lasing targets for distance, correct?

Yes, the CPG is capable of using the laser rangefinder/designator for calculating correct slant distance to the target, but only when using the TADS as his selected sight while he is using the gun. There are times when it may not be appropriate to use the laser, and the pilot is not capable of lasing a target when employing the gun.  This is why a manual range is typically used for HMD gun engagements, and azimuth and elevation corrections are manually performed by adjusting the aiming point of the helmet. But with training, the gun can be quite effective, even with the HMD and a manual range.

DCS Rotor-Head