The New Al Tanf Looks Awesome

Rex

I now gladly get to destroy the second-rate version I made a year ago out of general objects. 

Very nice job!

Screen_220319_185428.jpg

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, Eldur said:

Certainly does. But I'm using that chance now to ask the probably dumbest question on the planet. Is it At-Tanf or Al-Tanf? Regardless where I look, I find both, and apparently they're both the same.

I always understood it to be AL Tanf (with an "L"), but I looked it up too and like you said, both are used. I dunno why.

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Wikipedia uses Al-Tanf, the other might just be a widespread misspelling. That said, Arabic is weird. There are sometimes multiple ways to romanize a given word, such as Osama/Usama and Quadaffi/Gadaffi, to name the two well known ones. I'm no Arabic speaker, but I do know that the sounds in that language don't always match English ones very well.

It might be worth noting that 'Arabic' isn't exactly one monolithic language either, it has many 'flavours', as in dialects and accents, which is possibly one of the reasons these things get so chaotic. Someone from, say, Tunisia pronounces things differently from someone from Syria, for example.

Yes, but as luck would have it, there's only one written variety of Arabic, this being Classical Arabic (yes, Westen linguists distinguish between it and MSA, but native speakers usually don't, and the differences aren't great anyway). As such, in a written medium, there's only one relevant variety, but as it happens you don't even need to bring in the dialects to have issues with romanization. The alphabets just don't correspond very well.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1