Has the Hornet Flight Model changed?

tasimm

I basically only fly the Hornet around the boat these days, because I just don’t have the time for missions. Its basically launch, get in the stack, break, 3 or 4 passes, then a trap and I’m out.

I was flying today and I had a <profanity> ton of trouble trimming it up after the break. I’m usually on the numbers at paddles and today I couldn’t get it to do anything right.

Gear down at 250, let it ride, flaps half, trim to bracket, flaps full, trim to bracket. At that point I’m nose down AoA at 15, WTF, and working the throttles just to get back to a reasonable altitude for the groove.

Something has changed. I went from having a problem with ballooning at paddles trim, which I could deal with because I was still on speed at 9-11 AoA, to now having a lead weight on my nose and trimmed out to 15 AoA. Even though the bracket says I’m on speed, it’s obvious I’m not.

Once I’m settled it seems to be manageable, but it still feels nose heavy. And there was no way I was even close to the numbers after the break. I tried multiple times. Just wasn’t happening.

What gives? Anyone else having this problem?

The target is 8.1 degrees AOA not 9-11

I haven't noticed anything majorly different, the tiny bit VVI float thing others have mentioned I noticed a little bit. BTW, You don't need to go to half first, just go straight to full, it's an extra step you don't need.

DCS 2022-03-20 03-15-20.png

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

The 9-11 AoA is when I start to balloon on flaps down, usually. It’s easier to manage because I’m so close to on speed. Yesterday it was 15 and impossible to manage.

I’ll try a repair and see what happens. Maybe something got borked in the update.

Was doing some testing recently. Haven't tried it with the latest patch but, in a sustained turn, setting the flaps from auto to half actually made the jet less draggy. Where I was bleeding off speed like at a given G set to auto, putting the flaps to half not only prevented the speed loss, in some cases I was actually able to gain speed at a given throttle setting. I'm wondering if the flight computer is too aggressive with the flaps set to auto or perhaps it's just a bug. Try it yourself and see, I haven't done any extensive testing for much observation of the external model to see if I can tell a difference in flap angle. Just something to look in to.

7 hours ago, rfxcasey said:

Was doing some testing recently. Haven't tried it with the latest patch but, in a sustained turn, setting the flaps from auto to half actually made the jet less draggy. Where I was bleeding off speed like at a given G set to auto, putting the flaps to half not only prevented the speed loss, in some cases I was actually able to gain speed at a given throttle setting. I'm wondering if the flight computer is too aggressive with the flaps set to auto or perhaps it's just a bug. Try it yourself and see, I haven't done any extensive testing for much observation of the external model to see if I can tell a difference in flap angle. Just something to look in to.

Just tested it (with the latest OB). I didn't see any issues with PA to UA transitions. Above 280kts (?) or around, regardless of flap switch position the jet was loosing energy at the same rate, at least on my rig.

45 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

Just tested it (with the latest OB). I didn't see any issues with PA to UA transitions. Above 280kts (?) or around, regardless of flap switch position the jet was loosing energy at the same rate, at least on my rig.

Hmmm, perhaps it was a bug and they've patched it then. Haven't flown the Hornet since the update, it's been all Apache.

Edited by rfxcasey