Add point to the TSD through the KU, always got wrong coordinate as result

nyanrata

Figured out a bit more.

So first I'm at 38T KM. Add any coordinate inside 38T KM is fine.

Then it comes to 38T GG. It will offset to 39U UB. OK, edit this point. Repeat 38T GG thing does nothing. Then I edit for the second time, to change 39U UB to 38T KM. Magic! Now the point move back to 38T GG. But no matter whether I corrected the digits at this time, they will still be incorrect. Edit for the third time just for the digits and it's finally there.

Add another point, use KM instead of GG. Now the result is, square goes to GG but digits still goes off. Edit again to get it right.

Also keeped a track for this but it's oversized.

I had this issue but managed to fix it. Just let the INU Confidence on the TSD UTIL page go green. Takes just under 4 minutes from APU start. 

Once you've got good INUs the MGRS grid that auto-populates on the KEU when creating new points will have the correct grid. If you don't want to wait for full INU alignment you can just use the KEU arrow keys or BKS key to overwrite the incorrect grid.

EDIT: I've just watched the first 90 seconds of your track and I'm almost certain that what I've said will solve your issue. You started adding points in about 60 seconds after the APU power came on, so the INU confidence wasn't good enough to give you the right grid. 

I hope that helps.

Edited by frostycab
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, frostycab said:

I had this issue but managed to fix it. Just let the INU Confidence on the TSD UTIL page go green. Takes just under 4 minutes from APU start. 

Once you've got good INUs the MGRS grid that auto-populates on the KEU when creating new points will have the correct grid. If you don't want to wait for full INU alignment you can just use the KEU arrow keys or BKS key to overwrite the incorrect grid.

EDIT: I've just watched the first 90 seconds of your track and I'm almost certain that what I've said will solve your issue. You started adding points in about 60 seconds after the APU power came on, so the INU confidence wasn't good enough to give you the right grid. 

I hope that helps.

YEs, that did it for me. Waiting for alignment is the key!

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having this issue, even after aligning the INU, some points I enter have different coordinates that I entered on the Keyboard. I tried waiting but it doesn't happen all the time but I have tried editing the point and it still changed to some other grid that I didn't enter, and even when i delete it and try again it still does it.

This is on one of the included missions, but I did just notice that some of the Kneeboard locations had a strange grid on them so that might have been part of the problem. I seem to remember having this issue on MP as well, but I think it was the alignment issue. I might need to do some more looking/playing around to narrow it down.

4 minutes ago, frostycab said:

OK. Break it down a bit for me. Is this on one of the included missions? if so, which one? There are numerous errors on some of the kneeboards.

Do me a favour if you've got DCS running. Load up the Caucuses cold start mission from the instant action menu and look at the kneeboard points. You'll see that most of the grids start with GG, but a couple start with KM. The fact that there's such a big difference in these codes is a massive clue that your flight is going to cross into the next 1000km grid, which could explain your problem. 

Open the F10 map and make sure you have MGRS as your coordinate system. (LeftALT-Y in case you don't know how to cycle it.) Now put the cursor over your heli and look at the grid reference. It should start with "38T KM." 38T is the 1000km grid square. Now point the cursor at the coast West of you and read the coordinates. It should now say "37T GG" which is in the next grid.

If you then enter the coordinates into your TSD using the appropriate major grid at the start you should hopefully get the right results. It's purely down to the kneeboards only giving you most, but not all, of the full MGRS data. It's something you need to watch out for, and familiarity with the local area will help you to recognise it in the future.

Let me know if that solves your issue or if I've misunderstood..

Do you know which mission it was? I can have a quick look and see if it's one I recognise. I know the kneeboard for the SCUD Hunt mission had a couple of extra points on it that the creator just forgot to erase. It was reported and acknowledged, so might have been sorted in the hotfix. 

EDIT: Just a little "good practice" thing that I do is always compare the KEU altitude entry that pops up to the one on the kneeboard. If it doesn't match then it's a good sign that you've got the wrong grid and need to check.

Edited by frostycab