CPG in Multiplayer?

ustio
Go to solution Solved by Wags,

BRAVO - so good to hear 🙂

Wonder if this was a planned progression or listening to the community. 

Either way, Brill!  I'll fly single player to learn the ropes then razzle dazzle my multi-player bretheren once I've mastered everything, which like all of you will be in.....two weeks 😉 

The Apache is fun, but looking for targets from the pilots seat is no fun really. George is doing a soso job. I fly mostly multiplayer, is there a way to change seats in multiplayer? Doesn't seem like it. This is a huuuuge bummer! Most people don't want to jump into an aircraft with a stranger and most people don't want to organize a friend when they feel like getting some combat action. But without being able to use the TADS this bird is basically a glorified Mi8.

20 minutes ago, Donglr said:

The Apache is fun, but looking for targets from the pilots seat is no fun really. George is doing a soso job. I fly mostly multiplayer, is there a way to change seats in multiplayer? Doesn't seem like it. This is a huuuuge bummer! Most people don't want to jump into an aircraft with a stranger and most people don't want to organize a friend when they feel like getting some combat action. But without being able to use the TADS this bird is basically a glorified Mi8.

I second that question!
Is there a setting in ME for MP sessions to not allow specific helicopters to be used in multicrew?

Cheers

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

On 3/21/2022 at 1:37 AM, Wags said:

We are working on the ability to be in either seat for network play. It will require careful testing, and it is coming

Thanks for confirming Wags. This is probably my #1 wishlist item for the module, along with VR performance.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

On 9/9/2021 at 10:31 PM, Northstar98 said:

Personally, in MP, if a seat is unoccupied by another player, you should be able to swap seats at will, just as you can do in SP.

This is exactly what I want.. Im finding it very difficult to find pilots who want human CP/Gs on the servers right now, so I would like to be able to use both seats just as I do in the single player missions. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dropbear said:

This is exactly what I want.. Im finding it very difficult to find pilots who want human CP/Gs on the servers right now, so I would like to be able to use both seats just as I do in the single player missions. 

I’ve had “Need CPG” in my multiplayer name and since launch have had one person join.

Where are you leprechauns at!?!?

On release day I saw a lot of questions asked in the ED Discord about being able to switch seats in multiplayer. I knew this feature was probably not going to be there as other multicrew modules with an AI crewmember (Hind, Tomcat) also do not have this feature yet. The response to this question was ''We are looking into this option, it adds an extra layer of complexity to multicrew'', which is completely understandable and logical.

I then saw that Heatblur actually managed to implement it on their Tomcat on the same update. I was wondering how this went. Did Heatblur develop this technology on their own? Or did ED 'ask' them to maybe, co-develop and test it on the Tomcat. I was curious how this process went and if the technology is transferable to the Apache.

The reason I'm asking for an indication of a timeline. If its transferable then one could assume the feature could be here rather sooner than later, if not then it might still be quite a while away, which is also fine. In a worse case, which I'm not hoping, Heatblur developed their own tech and ED developing their own for the Apache would undo or break the work Heatblur did.

For now, George is great and I even have some friends loitering around (they suck though 😆) who I can occasionally  fly with. But doing it all by myself in Multiplayer is something I'd like to do in the future if George doesnt quite get the job done or my friends are tired of me yelling at them.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• Wags pinned this topic
On 3/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, Wags said:

We are working on the ability to be in either seat for network play. It will require careful testing, and it is coming.

Kind regards,

Matt

I was about to add my +1 to this when I saw that Wags sayd they are working on it.

So I guess I'll just say thanks and hope it comes soon. Being able to play multiplayer with a couple of friends and everyone gets to man their own TADS and let their respective Georges take care of the flying sounds like a lot of fun! Doing coordinated strikes with hellfires and guns and such.

Also, just for good measure: +1

We are working on the ability to be in either seat for network play. It will require careful testing, and it is coming.

Kind regards,

Matt

That's amazing, thanks so much!

On 3/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, Faosmaster6151 said:

You can play as a CPG, as long as the server is set up so you cannot play multicrew. If the server is set up so multicrew is playable, you cannot get into the CPG seat unless you join someone else's apache. 

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to do this, as I cannot see any option in ME or server settings, or online reference to disable multicrew and allow single player to fly from CPG seat?

Would love to be able to do this in the F-14 as well.

3 hours ago, Sprool said:

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to do this, as I cannot see any option in ME or server settings, or online reference to disable multicrew and allow single player to fly from CPG seat?

Would love to be able to do this in the F-14 as well.

Modules which have the Solo Flight checkbox:

• C-101CC
  • C-101EB
  • Christen Eagle II
  • L-39C
  • L-39ZA
  • Mosquito FB Mk. VI
  • Yak-52
  • UH-1

Modules which do not have the Solo Flight checkbox:

• F-14A-135-GR
  • F-14B
  • AH-64D BLK.II
  • Mi-29P
  • Mi-8TV2
  • SA342L
  • SA342M
  • SA342Minigun
  • SA342Mistral

I tried out jumping in the Huey checked as solo flight, and it only let me use pilot seat, I could not move to any other seat. So the solo flight checkbox is not related to anything relevant about disabling multicrew in server to be able to fly the Apache on your own as CPG, online. That was the point of this thread and this was Faosmaster's claim above, but has not been proven correct or accurate?

20 hours ago, Sprool said:

I tried out jumping in the Huey checked as solo flight, and it only let me use pilot seat, I could not move to any other seat. So the solo flight checkbox is not related to anything relevant about disabling multicrew in server to be able to fly the Apache on your own as CPG, online. That was the point of this thread and this was Faosmaster's claim above, but has not been proven correct or accurate?

There is currently no way (that I know of) to sit in the front seat of the Apache and having George AI in the backseat in multiplayer. This works, as we all know, in single player by simply pressing 1 and 2 to switch seats. The buttons don't work in multiplayer, as the other seat is kind of another client or something. Also, you can't spawn directly into the front seat without a human in the back as it is not clickable in the list of roles.

Only way currently to be in the front seat in multiplayer is to have another real human first spawn into the helicopter (and get the back seat) and then requesting multicrew for the front.

But, as Wags said, they are working on it being possible.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yngvef said:

Only way currently to be in the front seat in multiplayer is to have another real human first spawn into the helicopter (and get the back seat) and then requesting multicrew for the front.

But then George ai wont fly the heli for you. I just wanted to dig deeper into Faosmasters earlier claim but it seems it is not correct.

Kind regards,

Matt

Thank you so much for adding this in the future! Would be a bummer if not possible!

• Like 2

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Just want to ask question to make sure I understand how it's supposed to work before I assume it's a bug or something else.

Yesterday I have flown with my buddy in the Apache and we wanted to switch seats. I was in pilot, he in CP/G seat. So what we tried to do was for him to leave the seat, I switch to CP/G and then he joins in the pilot seat and we have effective position switch. For this to happen I landed the bird to minimize the issue of desynced flight controls.

The issue I had was when he vacated the CP/G seat, I couldn't switch to it. I have verified that the controls for occupying the seats are bound (default keyboard bindings) but it didn't help. 

Is switching seats getting disabled internally when someone other joins in? That would be the logical explanation why I couldn't switch.

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Vakarian said:

Just want to ask question to make sure I understand how it's supposed to work before I assume it's a bug or something else.

Yesterday I have flown with my buddy in the Apache and we wanted to switch seats. I was in pilot, he in CP/G seat. So what we tried to do was for him to leave the seat, I switch to CP/G and then he joins in the pilot seat and we have effective position switch. For this to happen I landed the bird to minimize the issue of desynced flight controls.

The issue I had was when he vacated the CP/G seat, I couldn't switch to it. I have verified that the controls for occupying the seats are bound (default keyboard bindings) but it didn't help. 

Is switching seats getting disabled internally when someone other joins in? That would be the logical explanation why I couldn't switch.

switching seats in multiplayer adds an extra layer of complication to multicrew, currently it is not possible, but the team are discussing it internally. 

In multiplayer you can play with a friend and choose your position or use George AI to control your gunner position if you fly solo in multiplayer 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ah, sorry guys. For some reason I thought it was actually included in the latest hotfix, but I gave the changelog another look and found out I was mistaken. Don't know what happened 🙂

Yeah, I understand the complexity and seems like I've seen it somewhere and took speculation for granted. Will watch out better for that next time. 

I can see why one would get confused on this subject....wags stated its wip....heatblur just implemented mp seat switching for the tomcat...and now we are back to its complex and we are having  internal discussions 

Even a quick update so we can play from the front seat would be welcome instead of the pilots position, the back seats the boring bit in this bird in MP when your a single player without a human CPG :), all the funs in the front seat and with the sub par ground AI your not really too worried about how hi George would be flying you as the AI isn't really a threat in most MP coop missions.

Edited by Hotdognz

• 3 weeks later...

Can we use George as the pilot in Multiplayer so we can go to the front gunner seat to fire Hellfire missiles ? I know it can be done in single player but we can't seem to get it to work in multiplayer. 

If not, why not? 

I know it's good to go in pairs in multiplayer but sometimes it's good to have more the two Apache's on a mission. There are usually 4 of us that fly together and all being able to fly their own Apache would be great as well as pairing up from time to time. 

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:09 AM, NWGJulian said:

nope, not possible in MP

HB has made it happened in F-14 to switch between two seats in MP.  So, it is required the addition efforts (I guess that it takes a while for HB to do so)....

Edited by scommander2
  • Like 1

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro