Rockets, any ways to fire them in FIXED mode.

Frag
Go to solution Solved by Wags,

Hi guys,

I do like the Apache so far ... lot of fun with it. The gun is super effective when you get used to it.

However I do HATE the rocket system and I really wish that I missing something. I hate it so much that I put my alarm clock at night to hate it more. The ole chasing of the vertical bar while trying to figure out if your head is centered enough is completely ridiculous.

Is there a way to set the rocket in FIXED mode, like we can do for the gun. I did not find a way to do this but maybe someone can enlighten me.

I do know that the rocket pod can tilt vertically, but I would be all fine having it fixed while having a target displaying where the rocket will hit (like all the plane and chopper we are used to). I find a bit odd that the option would be offered for the very dynamic gun while not having it for the rockets.

Thanks

Edited by Frag

you can set it to ground stow mode I think it's called so it's in a "fixed" position for the ground crew to refill ammo. it sets it at a certain angle and locks it in place. kinda hard to shoot that way too but it makes them 'fixed' apparently this was fixed in the later versions of the the apache.

yeah, i do wish there was a CCIP style cue where i can fly over the targer and just fire it instead of trying to line everything up.

You use your head to move the crosshair on the target and keep it there. (This is the point where you want your rockets to go.) You move the vertical line with the helicopter, not with your head. It takes a bit of time to get used to it. You don't have to be 100% in line to hit properly, tho. 

Rockets are area effect weapons to start with, not precision.  Per FM 1-140 Helicopter Gunnery, 7.5.b "Crews can expect 7 to 12 mils of dispersion from rockets fired from helicopters."  The gunnery table standard is 2 out of 6 rockets need to land in a 300mx400m area at <3000m.  Per the manual, in combat the expectation was to fire 2 pair of rockets for sensing before firing for effect.  We tend to use rockets as precision fire options, which they we never designed to be.

With that said, I agree the I-beam seems like a less useful option than some sort of CCIP sight.  However remember the Apache is a 2 person A/C in the real world.  A COOP rocket engagement (George locking up a target for you), is as a simple as fly the I-beam onto the flight path line and if it's solid pull the trigger.  A pilot initiated rocket attack you'd be shooting at targets you can see with the naked eye, like a building or a static terrain feature, so it wouldn't be near as hard to hold the IHADDS sight steady on target.  From there simply fly the beam onto the reticle and fire.  The articulating nature of the pods, allow you to maintain either a conventional hover, or diving attack from a much longer (ie safer) range. 

22 hours ago, Jenrick said:

A pilot initiated rocket attack you'd be shooting at targets you can see with the naked eye, like a building or a static terrain feature, so it wouldn't be near as hard to hold the IHADDS sight steady on target.  From there simply fly the beam onto the reticle and fire.  The articulating nature of the pods, allow you to maintain either a conventional hover, or diving attack from a much longer (ie safer) range. 

Interesting point of view!

I believe when you stow the rocket pods, you would then aim using the dashed crosshair just under your ADL (centerline) diamond.  While your IHADSS would move with your head movement, at least this fixed sight will remain stationary relative to the helo’s direction within the IHADSS field of view.  You would just need to try and keep your head somewhat stationary :).

Just put in the time to get it working.  Make sure you're using auto range.  Once you get it the sight is super effective and allows you to make very accurate and complex rocket attacks.  By accurate I mean the sight is accurate...  the rockets...  well...  they're predicatable which is all you really need in a weapon.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)