George freely search for targets?

Mr_Blastman

Any plans on giving George the ability to freely search for targets like our gunner would in Gunship 2000, Longbow 2 or Gunship! ?

This would be really nice for him to call out these targets/threats as he sees them without the pilot having to spot them, turn the Apache and then issue a search area command.

In Gunship 2000 he would say stuff such as "target right" or "target left" etc. but nowadays I bet he could call them out by the o'clock position or bearing.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Mr_Blastman said:

Any plans on giving George the ability to freely search for targets

0:57 - 1:02

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Currently, unless I am mistaken, you need to authorize every single target for him to engage. Once he destroys it you have to look at the same area, de-slave, scroll through list for next target, confirm the next target.

Then repeat this for however many targets there are. This is massively distracting especially for the Apache, as mostly I just want him to kill whatever is in the target area while I focus on flying. I don't want to have to slew my helmet towards the target area between every kill and handhold him for the next target.

This was kind of irrelevant with the Hind since you usually engaged only like 1 or 2 targets per run anyway, but the Ah64 can just sit there and kill 16 targets back to back. I want this to happen fast and efficiently, not having to give him written consent for every individual target.

Obviously this also goes for the gun, when flying over a target area with multiple light targets, authorizing each truck/infantry to shoot at is nearly impossible especially when I'm focussed on flying. Plus I can't even really see down there like he can.

I should be able to permit him to just engage everything in a certain area and search & destroy targets himself, or is this already possible in some way?

• Like 6

I would also like to see a option where you can select multiple targets from the list at once so after he is done with one target he will go to the next. It could be as easy as doing a right long press on the target list instead of a right sort. If you do the right long the list will stay up so you can select other targets.

But yes I do agree there should be an option to engage all ground targets, air defenses, and so on. Just like in the communication menu for your wingman. 

Edited by A Hamburgler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, A Hamburgler said:

I would also like to see a option where you can select multiple targets from the list at once so after he is done with one target he will go to the next. It could be as easy as doing a right long press on the target list instead of a right sort. If you do the right long the list will stay up so you can select other targets.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this is something they implement once the FCR is done and feature-complete. Once we have that I believe we should be able to create priority fire zones, so we might be able to tell him to just go ahead and engage anything he sees in Zone B or whatever.

I wouldn't necessarily like to be able to give George an all-encompassing "Engage Ground Targets" command, especially as using the Hellfires requires some crew coordination to ensure that the aircraft is oriented towards the right target and remains there long enough to complete the attack. If you're ducking an diving in the back seat then a lot of missiles could go astray. I'd suggest a middle ground where he's able to search autonomously, but will then call out something like "Hey, I've got armour at 2 o'clock, 4km." which would then be your opportunity to use the existing system to find and engage specific targets in that area.

• Like 1

After you scanned a region with him and he engaged a target press george command down long and he will rescan the original area without you having to put your sight there.

Helps a lot and speeds up retargeting / next-targeting to down long => left => fire at 2 seconds / target.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, idenwen said:

After you scanned a region with him and he engaged a target press george command down long and he will rescan the original area without you having to put your sight there.

Helps a lot and speeds up retargeting / next-targeting to down long => left => fire at 2 seconds / target.

Nice idea, though I wouldn't recommend trying to ripple of laser hellfires that quickly. You've only got 1 laser and that needs to stay on target until it hits. 😉

I Wonder if it be possible, that George would use the gun in free fire mode without me selecting targets for him like the gunners in the huey. 

When im attacking a target with unguided rockets and give george the gun i would love to see him shoot without me selecting every single infantry guy.

• Like 3

Maybe it would be a good idea to add something like this:

On the target list, where you select what the CPG has to attack, add some few options like:

1. Engage AA

2. Engage Tanks

3. Engage soft targets

4. Engage Infantry

5. Engage targets of opportunity (Here George would have the freedom to choose targets, depending on threat priority)

6. List of specific vehicles start like we have it now.

But esentially, the options above this would make him fire at targets until you tell him to stop, or he looses visual.

Edited by Mr.Scar
  • Like 2

• Wags pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's say you fly over a field where few dozens enemy soldiers are being positioned. We can tell George to use the gun, but is there a way to tell him to fire at will without having to assign the target one at a time. It really slow down combat to always select the target for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, csdigitaldesign said:

Who is saying you can't? Yes you can. You just HOLD up on the George controls until the indicator on the George controls turn green. He will then be in fire at will mode. You can put it back the same way.

What you are describing is to give him the permission to fire at will ... but AFTER you gave him a target to shoot at. What I was asking for is for him to choose his own targets.

The OP are is wanting “independent George”. Not “micro-managed George”.

Just don’t agree to any pact or anything about proposing to a girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

From the IRL cockpit videos I've seen neither crew member seems to shoot any weapons on their own. It always appear to be a coordinated attack, where one will prepare the attack, but the other must consent to firing. Imagine flying along and suddenly a missile flies off your aircraft when you weren't expecting it, or George fires just as you decide to make a turn that would mask the laser.

I'd like to see George searching for targets autonomously, but only if he reports them back to you as the pilot, so that you can check his LOS and the TADS video to confirm that it's something you want to attack. For example, let's say you discover a SAM site. Without a degree of crew coordination George might spot the site and start lofting Hellfires at the launchers one after another while ignoring the radars.

It's not as simple as saying "Look around and if you see something shoot at it."

• Like 1