George freely search for targets?

Mr_Blastman

On 4/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, frostycab said:

From the IRL cockpit videos I've seen neither crew member seems to shoot any weapons on their own. It always appear to be a coordinated attack, where one will prepare the attack, but the other must consent to firing. Imagine flying along and suddenly a missile flies off your aircraft when you weren't expecting it, or George fires just as you decide to make a turn that would mask the laser.

I'd like to see George searching for targets autonomously, but only if he reports them back to you as the pilot, so that you can check his LOS and the TADS video to confirm that it's something you want to attack. For example, let's say you discover a SAM site. Without a degree of crew coordination George might spot the site and start lofting Hellfires at the launchers one after another while ignoring the radars.

It's not as simple as saying "Look around and if you see something shoot at it."

Yeah I do agree with you. This is why we should have an order "Shoot at will, open target". So George would never do that by himself unless told otherwise. I fell in few situation where I was having dozens of militant firing at us. I think George should be smart enough to start opening fire on targets of opportunity during intense situation if the pilot is super busy trying to get them out of hairy situations with AA guns, machine gunners and missiles flying around.

Both case (controlled by the pilot) and free fire (let George choose target) should be available in the late release of the AI.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:44 PM, Digitalvole said:

If you let George fire at will get ready for some blue on blue, happened to me today.

I’ve sent George to bed early, without any dinner! 🧐

??? How can this happen since you are the one assigning target? Collateral damage from close enemy being too close?

Edited by Frag

13 minutes ago, Frag said:

??? How can this happen since you are the one assigning target? Collateral damage from close enemy being too close?

It's very easy. When you select a traget from George's list you have no idea what is blue and what is red, and you only get the cued line of sight marker in your IHADSS or the target shown on the video display once you've selected it. If George is in free fire mode then you don't have time to get him to abort.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frostycab said:

It's very easy. When you select a traget from George's list you have no idea what is blue and what is red, and you only get the cued line of sight marker in your IHADSS or the target shown on the video display once you've selected it. If George is in free fire mode then you don't have time to get him to abort.

Holy hell I did not know this! I guess I was lucky enough only to have adversaries in my areas of attack! Thanks for the heads up! It could have turned pretty bad!

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:24 PM, A Hamburgler said:

I would also like to see a option where you can select multiple targets from the list at once so after he is done with one target he will go to the next. It could be as easy as doing a right long press on the target list instead of a right sort. If you do the right long the list will stay up so you can select other targets.

But yes I do agree there should be an option to engage all ground targets, air defenses, and so on. Just like in the communication menu for your wingman. 

I know I’m late to the party but YES, more independence. Both for the AI pilot (hover here, fly to waypoint, and so on), and the gunner. 🙂

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • ED Team
On 9/26/2022 at 11:51 AM, Hekktor said:

Imho this is the one most important thing for that bird to be of any use. At current state with him not even return fire on targets direct in front it is a horrible experience for me...

Do we have any timeframe of when this feature is planned for?

It is way more complex than you may think, but calling out targets is planned for later. 
Engaging targets is a different issue and has already been tweaked, with more tweaks to come during early access. 

In its current state I am not having any issue engaging with George, it is important not to rush him however, dont authorise the engagement straight away, let him settle on the target first you should have better results. 

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/26/2022 at 12:55 PM, BIGNEWY said:

It is way more complex than you may think, put calling out targets is planned for later. 
Engaging targets is a different issue and has already been tweaked, with more tweaks to come during early access. 

In its current state I am not having any issue engaging with George, it is important not to rush him however, dont authorise the engagement straight away, let him settle on the target first you should have better results. 

For me, George is currently still having huge problems with the 30mm GUN. Especially when both the Apache and the target are moving. Most of the time, Gerorg doesn't even fire.

and

The CPG is the one best at looking for enemies that aren't already known at the start of the mission.
Currently you have to spam the SLAVE command every 3-5 seconds when flying over unfamiliar territory, hoping not to miss a AAA lurking somewhere.
This is annoying and is an additional burden when flying.

I hope George can do this on his own soon.

Edited by Dagobert666

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I hope that :

George may have an option like "stay in alert" to report me all target automatically and engage it if i want or if i put him in full auto

- George may have an option that i can choose him which target aim first (armored / men / SA launcher etc)

- George may be able to spot incoming missile or bullets 

- George may speak more as jester when i make sh... or good piloting

Edited by jabbabzh

• 3 months later...

A halfway point could be that after you slave and the list pops up and stays up until all the targets are destroyed. Or george continues to engage until all the targets in the list are destroyed from the top down. You can direct fire by left selecting. Then when the list is destroyed or you lose contact you re slave to another point for another list. Maybe this is easy to achieve until they have time to deploy a full search mode?

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, BIGNEWY said:

It is way more complex than you may think, but calling out targets is planned for later. 

Hi @BIGNEWY,

would you mind asking Wags to put 'George Freely Looking for/Calling out targets' in his next Road-Map update please?  (Wherever it may fall on your 'planned for later' timeline)

If that list was expanded to everything you had planned, hopefully it would reduce the number of times you are asked about the same things.

Thanks again.

'52

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

• ED Team
12 hours ago, Gunslinger52 said:

Hi @BIGNEWY,

would you mind asking Wags to put 'George Freely Looking for/Calling out targets' in his next Road-Map update please?  (Wherever it may fall on your 'planned for later' timeline)

If that list was expanded to everything you had planned, hopefully it would reduce the number of times you are asked about the same things.

Thanks again.

'52

Hi, 

the main planned features are on the roadmap, basically the main goals of the project, tweaks and improvement for George will come over time, some of the work on the AI is linked to the Mi-24p and Petrovitch, when we have news to share we will share it. 

thank you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

I dislike AI so much I have offered to buy the game for a couple friends just to have a gunner. Unfortunately, they were not interested. Something has to happen because at the moment I find George so frustrating, I find it extremely unenjoyable to play. Don't get me wrong, I love the Apache. I just am really tired of George.

• Like 1

It's been 2 years now and still waiting for George to have the ability to call out targets or to be given a ROE free to fire command. There is a Wingman/Flight menu where I can give an order to attack armor or air defences and more with all the jets in the game. For now, Al George is sitting in the front reading magazines and eating potato chips waiting for me to put spot targets for him. I'm sure I'll make another post like this again in 1 years time.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

at least the thread here is labeled as "later in early access".

So it is planned before the Apache is finished. My guys are all pilots, nobody wants to be gunners. At the same time, babysitting George is very exhausting, especially in combat situations. Also, it is extremely immersion-destroying when you have to slave George every 5 seconds in transit flight so that you don't get destroyed by a surprise Shilka or Manpad.