George is not a very good pilot - is it just me?

CybrSlydr

Been letting George do the majority of my flying so I can learn the CP/G position - and he's very good at running us into the ground!

Any time we come across a draw or drainage, he'll follow with the radar altitude but when we reach the other side, he'll plow right into the side of the drainage, like he can't compensate for the change in terrain fast enough.

I observed that agressive altitude, heading and speed change at the same time short circuits his AI brain and he manages to put the heli in the ground. Happened to me once, after that I just do slow small changes.

I've been by passing him. I get myself where I want to be and then switch to the front seat. If I need to move I take control from the front and then give it back when I'm where I want to be.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

When you fly as the CPG (with George), did you use the same controller buttons for the CPG as you did when you flew as the Pilot?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

6 minutes ago, sobe said:

When you fly as the CPG (with George), did you use the same controller buttons for the CPG as you did when you flew as the Pilot?

I just use the command bit to tell him where/how to fly.  Flying below 300ft across any kind of valley is a recipe for certain doom.

George is an excellent pilot: try hovering for 15 minutes as a pilot!! What I have noticed is that George executes gradual commands perfectly. Suddenly going from 500 ft to 10 ft (speed 40 knots) in a single command causes him to crash, while he performs the descent perfectly passing to 400, 300, 200, 100, 50, 10 (always at 40 knots). I believe that, currently, the most interesting position is that of CPG as it's not possible to perform a decent hovering as a pilot. The Apache is famous for its ability to find hiding places to pop out of to shoot and then hide again. Now such a tactic from the pilot's position is really difficult (certainly not impossible, but very difficult).

A few tips with George.

• Make sure you master the command interface and understand what everything does. Sorry for the obvious point here but many issues with this bird are operator headspace and timing (player errors) not some flaw with the bird.  EG. You don't want to be moving forward at 70 knots and then mean to do a long press to gain altitude but hit a short press instead and crash into a tree) 
  • Make sure you give the pilot him enough height clearance. If you say 40' and there's a tree at 41 feet, he's going to run into it (Which is stupid..fix that ED!) So think through your commands since you are essentially the commander of that bird and you should be thinking through your directions anyway. (read: Pull finger out before issuing commands)
  • Most Important: if you he is in a hover and you want him to lose say 100', don't just mash the down command 5 times in a row. He will try to loose all 100' at once and get you into VRS. He is good at loosing 10-30 feet at a time ( bird weight, weather etc. factors impact this)
  • As a pilot the selecting targets and giving commands can be think without additional practice. The AI seems to be better with missiles than guns of rockets but that could be still me with eth parameters and also understanding everyone's constraints.  SO take your time with flying and giving orders and be deliberate and avoid haste (eg issue stand off) to work him onto targets. Live CPGs understand the difficulty of acquiring stuff with a pilot struggling to hover. Maybe the AI has the same issue?
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

we have tweaks coming for George in a future patch, especially the terrain and object avoidance when flying. 

Thank you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

He certainly can hold a hover better than any of us.

• Like 1

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

I've got to say, coming from the Gazelle where I loved jumping to the co-pilot seat and "autohovering", that George is a delight!

I really want to fly and fight single player - love the challenge - so was hoping to swap between front and back quick and easy.  Auto hover, target and fire. 

George is a treat as I'm using him like above.  Fly and hover into position with a good orientation to a target area, and then get him to tweak height and the like whilst I'm sorting targets.  Almost doesn't seem like cheating.

I haven't used him for main navigation, so wouldn't know about his capability to handle multiple commands and inputs though 😉 

• Wags locked this topic