Maps!

Jarhead0331

Will there be maps included with the printed version of the manual, by any chance? I recently flew the familiarization mission in the campaign and the region is entirely foreign to me. I'll definitely require something for reference. If there will not be printed reference materials of this kind, can anyone point me in the direction of a good map of the region that corresponds to the region in the game. Preferably, with stations, airbases, FARPS, etc...

Thanks

Problem is, there are two "map" versions currently active in Black Shark.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game engine and the F10 view use a grid system and geographic representation that is flat because it is old code from LockOn days. Flat, and no difference between geographic and magnetic north poles, no deviation or variation.

The new mission editor already uses curved grids in preparation for a later curved earth surface representation to be introduced with some later DCS module.

Therefore we now have the error or "bug", that if one reads a track from the editor map and flies that course over ground in the game engine, he will end way off from where he wanted to go.

To your question:

The best maps for navigation in BS are currently screenshots of the F10 view, since what you see there is what you fly over in the game engine.

For LockOn there were those maps at quite useable resolution done by community members. For the partly new BS world this work remains to be done.

Any reallife map of the region will lead to grave navigational errors.

Edited by Woodstock

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

Jabo I dont think considering the realativly small area in the Sim and the typical distances the KA50 flies that earth curvature or map projection induced errors would be that significant.(though there for sure)

What is significant is Magnetic variation. Any Heading you measure from the In game map is TRUE. The KA50 nav systems are magnetic. So once you get your TRUE heading from the Map you need to apply the 5deg East variation to that to get the magnetic heading you need to fly in the KA50.

Given MAGVAR in Kuban is 5deg East (manual pg 2-51) then you simply take 5 degrees off the measured heading. "Variation East magnetic least"

So lets say you measure the track on the map yopu want to fly as 240deg True. To fly this ground track in the SIM you wouls need to fly (240-5) = 235Magnetic.

Will there be maps included with the printed version of the manual, by any chance? I recently flew the familiarization mission in the campaign and the region is entirely foreign to me. I'll definitely require something for reference. If there will not be printed reference materials of this kind, can anyone point me in the direction of a good map of the region that corresponds to the region in the game. Preferably, with stations, airbases, FARPS, etc...

Thanks

Hi,

I don't know if this will help but what I did is I went on google maps and looked up Maikop City and then printed maps of the entire region the game is in with City Names and all, then just fill in the Farps as needed. :book:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

There is large map (ex Soviet military topographic I think) archive on this site

maps.poehali.org/en/

I must say that I am impressed by level of details and precision of the terrain applied in DCS BS.

To check precision of the coordinates I randomly picked an area near Krasnodar, and measured coordinates of bridge east of Severskaya. First I took bridge coordinates from downloaded map from this site (scale 1:100 000). I measured that bridge coordinates are N 44052’22’’ E 038043’32’’. Then I simply measured coordinates of the same bridge on the map in DCS BS, and coordinates were N 44052’20’’ E 038043’32’’. As you can see, difference is insignificant. I am also posting you pictures of the same area taken from DCS and original map to see similarity between them (note the bridge east od Severskaya).

FARPS are not marked on those maps, but if you print them, you can do it your self.

Of course, you will find many differences between terrain in BS and on the original map, but for general orientation (and more than that) I am planning to print and use those, just to add bigger realism to the whole thing.

Maps.thumb.jpg.fbd90019d336aecc496437665645aa72.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...

I really would like a Grid map used in F10 view, if it were doable in the Abris, they would be nice. But, if in real life it uses no grid in Aris, and it needs to be kept real, then that is something we have to live with I supose. But, we really need a gridded map. I added the grid map idea to the Wish list.

Anyone know how to hack Lua files, make it so F10 has grids maps, and make it so it can be used by all pilots in multiplayer?

Thanx..

:helpsmilie:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR