AH64 a module hard to come in?

Eisprinzessin

Hi guys,

tbh i didnt want to buy the Apache since i have the HIND, BS, MI8 and so much more to fullfill in DCS but i am so curious about it since my last hours in the Apache are some days in the past when i flew it in Janes Apache Longbow.

I kinda know how to handle the hornet an the other stuff, the HINT and the other Helos.

Question: Is it hatd for me to find my way into the Apache with the combined knowledge of the Hornet and the Hind? I mean sure, i have to get the procedures but helps my knowlede?

Edited by BIGNEWY
removed 1.1
  • Like 1

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Uh...?

You know how to fly helos? Good.

You're happy with complex avionic suites? Good.

You should have no problem learning the AH-64.

Employment in combat is about tactics and understanding your strengths/weaknesses.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Refer to:

In short: you should be fine.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Depends if you use george or not, with 2 humans in same aircraft you have new thing to do (if you have F14 you have some advance here)

Helicopter are hard animal to tame and apache is easier than huey in terme of pilot skill but you get tons of systems.

For me isn't a easy module, but nothing is impossible and i really enjoy that difficulty. keep in minds apache need times. You cannont master it in 1 month 

5 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Are there similaraties in case of operating between the Hornet and the Apache?

1) Managing two MFDs (MPDs) for most of your workflow while flying.

2) Using helmet / eyepiece to assist in flying and targeting

3) Upfront display controlling radios

4) (eventually) radar

2 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Deedle-Deedle!

This basically 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

The Hornet itself IMO doesn't  confer on you any special abilities to fly the Apache and certainly is not required. Well I guess both airframes require you to mash buttons in a particular order so there is that. The 64 is fun!

1 hour ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Question: Is it hard for me to find my way into the Apache with the combined knowledge of the Hornet and the Hind? I mean sure, i have to get the procedures but helps my knowledge?

Are there similarities in case of operating between the Hornet and the Apache?

TL;DR:

It's not really similar to the Hornet or Hind, other than being complicated and requiring time and patience to learn.

Systems wise, it's closest relative would be the Ka-50 but details of operation are very different.

Detail

• The pilot position seems fairly straight forward with MFD performance pages, TSD map, WP/Route creation/editing, ADF(NDB), etc.

• Cyclic/collective control assignments/buttons for weapons are also fairly straight forward.

• Having flown other DCS helicopters you'll be ok, it took me approx. 2 hours to adjust to the Apache but obviously I'm still improving with more time/practice.

• The copilot/gunner position seems a lot harder to map as there's the TEDEC's LH and RH hand controllers to consider (another 2 joystick's worth of buttons and axes), so I'm still working on that one.

For now, I'm moving forward with the pilot seat and creating practice missions for flight/navigation, gun, rocket, and AI Hellfire - which should get me and my son upto speed on the Apache's basics. 

AH-64D Apache "Early Access" guide

The 361 page guide is available here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/AH64D_flight_manual_en/

... if you need any more detail.

Edited by Ramsay
spelling

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Make sure you go to settings, special tab, AH64 and adjust your joystick settings accordingly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |