How will FCR work?

razorseal

Can someone tell me how the FCR will work?

Will I have like a 360 radar GMT map that looks similar to the F18's? select targets and send off a radar guided hellfire to it like I would shoot a AIM120 or something?

I know it's in the works and won't be anytime soon, but I'm just curious on how it'll look, and how we'll work missiles to target with it.

I assume it'd be less work than laser ranging, finding targets, tracking etc. I'm not sure...

and can it be used for other things besides like a GMT and shooting stuff down? does it have an air mode or anything?

Curiosity killed the cat.

This ancient McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) promo video could give you an idea of what to expect from the FCR:

can it be used for other things besides like a GMT and shooting stuff down? does it have an air mode or anything?

Yes, it has air-to-air mode and also a terrain profiling mode. It also has capability to insert symbols for detected radar objects on the IHADSS or TADS, making it easier to locate them visually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, arneh said:

This ancient McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) promo video could give you an idea of what to expect from the FCR:

Yes, it has air-to-air mode and also a terrain profiling mode. It also has capability to insert symbols for detected radar objects on the IHADSS or TADS, making it easier to locate them visually.

After trying to figure if my computer was acting up, or the video was messed up, i got to the FCR page and now have a good idea of what's going on.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, f1rst said:

Could FCR be rotated to the left\right side, or it's fixed in front position?

Depends on the mode. In the most widely used GTM mode the scan is a 90 degree sector straight ahead (45 either side of centreline). The scan size can be narrowed and moved left and right within those limits. In ATM ('air to air') mode it's a 360 degree scan with a blanked off bit towards the tail.

• Like 1