External fuel tank weight still present after tanks removed (NOW with track file)

Grimm

I made a nice track file and then had issues saving it...apologies.  

To recreate:

1) Load 4 external tanks and 100% fuel from the Mission Editor.  
2) Startup
3) Use ground crew menu to select empty loadout.
4) Attempt to takeoff.

Thank you!

Edited by Grimm
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NineLine said:

How are you determining the weight is still there? In the rearm it doesnt show it, and to me it doesnt seem as heavy.

Yeah, it doesn't show the weight we're perceiving in the rearm menu. I can barely take off.  It behaves just as if it was grossly overweight.  Not enough power for vertical takeoff.  If I remove the tanks via the mission editor instead of the ground crew menu, there is no issue.

I'll have to see if I can get one of the other guys to produce a track file or make a video.  Standby.

Edited by Grimm

@NineLine

Please note torque indications.

First I load 4 fuel tanks via mission editor, hot start from ground
1:30 - hover power test (insufficient power, high torque)
1:45 - remove external tanks with ground crew
2:50 - hover power test (insufficient power, high torque)
3:30 - remove tanks via mission editor
4:45 - hover power test (good power, normal torque)

Edited by Grimm
  • Thanks 1

@NineLine

Very short track file, but I was dumb and made it a cold start. At least it verifies its not just on hot starts 😄

EDIT

Made 2 more tracks, 1 with a hot start and 1 clean from the ME.
You can see that originally starting with the 4 tanks and then removing I still require near 100% for my hover check, whereas when I get a clean bird from the ME its roughly 60%

Also, excuse the sloppiness, I don't fly rotaries often 😞

AH64 ext tanks.trk

AH64 ext tanks2 - Hot start.trk AH64 no XT-tanks - Hot start.trk

Edited by Tinuzz
Aditional info and attachements
  • Thanks 2

• Grimm changed the title to External fuel tank weight still present after tanks removed (NOW with track file)

I've noticed the same thing and came here to see if it's an known issue...

In my case, I re-armed to 4x ext aux tanks, I jettisoned two of the tanks, noticed I still couldn't generate enough lift before over-torque, then jettisoned the last two tanks, still can't generate enough lift for vertical or rolling takeoff.

I was sitting idle on the ground when I jett'd both sets of tanks and didn't notice any kind of physics response (suspension rebound, etc.) or anything like you do when they load them during a rearm.

EDIT:

Tested with possible workarounds.

- spawned Cold and Hot with full internal fuel and 4x ext tanks, pulled pitch to about 97-102% torque to start picking up, get to about 12 ft and unable to maintain vertical climb.

Land, jettison all four tanks, and try to pick up again--same performance noted

Land, open rearm dialogue, "remove payload" from all four stations,and try to pick up again--same performance noted

Land, rearm with all HE Rocket pods (trying to replace ghost payload?), try to pick up again--same performance noted

exited mission, re-launched hot with all HE Rocket pods--no issues picking up, pitching a bit ETL, climbing at about 90% tq

ApacheFuelTanksHot.trk

Edited by UncleReiben
Made a clean test with trk file
  • Thanks 2