VKB to Winwing

Hello all,

I have had a VKB gunfighter base for 2 years now with a Warthog grip and extension and the VKB base has been nothing short of a mess. Not mechanically but around the software. It's abysmal.  I am actually thinking about switching to a Super Libra base based on it's price/quality. 

Any recommendation why I should not? 🙂

Would appreciate some feedback/thoughts.

Thanks! 

E. 

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

The issue is exactly with that software and the fact that I have noise in the base that builds up apparently and through customer support the issue lies with the firmware and software itself. Every time I perform a "step" maneuver input on the stick it is seen as two very close spaced "step" input. The only way to avoid that is to update the firmware again. I have quite frankly enough of it 🙂 

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

On 3/24/2022 at 5:38 AM, AstroEma said:

Virpil has such a high cost compared to the WinWing...

Yes, I agree with you, I have ordered a set of flight stick, base, throttle, panel and mounts from Virpil recently, those gears cost me about EUR1000, I can't say it's cheap but well worth it.  Besides, Virpil's technical support is excellent and responsive.

Edited by vr2viv

8 hours ago, vr2viv said:

Yes, I agree with you, I have order a set of flight stick, base, throttle, panel and mounts from Virpil recently, those gears cost me about EUR1000, I can't say it's cheap but well worth it.  Besides, Virpil's technical support is excellent and responsive.

Agreed.

I’m a big fan of the virpil gear.  I can’t compare with the WW HOTAS, but I do have both of the WW panels.

I like the WW panels a lot.  They’re very tactile, and great value for money.  However, I also have a Virpil panel 2.  In comparison, the build quality is a good deal better than the WW panels.  Whether you believe that quality is worth nearly double the cost is down to the individual.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:58 AM, vr2viv said:

How about consider Virpil, I have thrown my VKB to the bin and bought a set of Virpil, happy life now.

Its funny how every manufacturer can have issues that pop up. I had all Virpil equipment for about 9 months but got tired of the cheap buttons and the software was a joke especially on the CM3 throttle. I have been running VKB flawlessly for a year and have been testing some of the Winwing gear these last few months. I had two Virpil sticks literally melt down due to internal shorts and the customer service was an abysmal. 

I have been extremely happy with the Winwing throttle's I have used thus far. The orion series is a great product for the price compared to others.

I have a nice mix: Virpil CM3 Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Pro with Ultimate Grip and 200 MM extension, and Crosswind Pedals with Damper Mod. I am so very happy with all three. Extremely pleased with my quality hardware. If I stick with it will be adding a Virpil Collective for the Apache. Still going through learning process and want to first make sure I can hang with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

14 hours ago, Dually said:

Its funny how every manufacturer can have issues that pop up. I had all Virpil equipment for about 9 months but got tired of the cheap buttons and the software was a joke especially on the CM3 throttle. I have been running VKB flawlessly for a year and have been testing some of the Winwing gear these last few months. I had two Virpil sticks literally melt down due to internal shorts and the customer service was an abysmal. 

I have been extremely happy with the Winwing throttle's I have used thus far. The orion series is a great product for the price compared to others.

No offence, could you please explain more details how bad is Virpil configurator, it is not perfect though but very good and flexible, and in actual use, it can make up for some deficiencies in the in-game settings.  Regarding to the cheap buttons, I have no idea about it as I never tear down a Virpil device, maybe I will try later on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vr2viv said:

No offence, could you please explain more details how bad is Virpil configurator, it is not perfect though but very good and flexible, and in actual use, it can make up for some deficiencies in the in-game settings.  Regarding to the cheap buttons, I have no idea about it as I never tear down a Virpil device, maybe I will try later on.

None taken and none intended. I struggled with compatibility and driver issues in the software, it also caused some blue screen crashes. I Removed and reinstalled multiple times, I also reinstalled windows with no change. As soon as I removed the software I stopped having issues and haven't had any since. All I was saying is that every manufacturer can have issues. Early Virpil products were good but as is the case with almost every product that moves from hand made to mass produced the quality degrades. I have owned 3 Virpil products and have opened several others over the years and the one thing we noticed is the lack of consistency. Two identical model sticks have had completely different country of origin parts. This makes me feel like Virpil was struggling to find a consistent vendor for its internal parts. This isn't unusual for mass produced products but Virpil doesn't sell product at a mass production price, they are still selling like they are a high end hand crafted products.

Please keep in mind that I haven't had a Virpil product for almost 2 years now, I think, and they may have fixed some of the issues I dealt with back then. I love my VKB MCG Ultimate, nothing beats the feel of metal in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Dually said:

Please keep in mind that I haven't had a Virpil product for almost 2 years now, I think, and they may have fixed some of the issues I dealt with back then. I love my VKB MCG Ultimate, nothing beats the feel of metal in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply, as I am struggling to buy a rudder pedals from Virpil or MFG, more likely Slaw Device, so would like to know more about your experience.  I have no idea about Virpil's earlier products as I'm new to Virpil, just received my Virpil gears about a month.  Luckily, I never have issue with Virpil configurator so far.