Gunfighter MCG Ult Foldable Trigger Not Staying Programmed

DirtyMike0330

Another user, Maggit, had word-for-word the same problem as me but didn't get much help in his OP a couple years ago, so I am just going to copy-pasta it here because I am having the same issue: 

"I have programmed the foldable trigger so that it activates one button when folded up and different buttons on the way down when pressing. I use it mostly for Master Arm switches.

But sometimes when I start up the computer this trigger has lost all of this programming and only one button, when pressing down, works.

I have done other programming on the stick aswell, with the ministicks etc, but none of that is affected, only the foldable trigger.

I have updated the firmware/Black box but no change...

Does anyone have an explanation?"

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

I also see this from time to time on mine, and it's solved by recalibrating the device. For me it usually happens after I've done some changes in VKBDevCfg. When this occurs I recalibrate and use the "Set" function to write the config to the device. Not sure if the last step is necessary, but this usually solves it for me.

• Like 1

I don't have an explanation (other than "it's the firmware") but for me, this problem occurs when the joystick boots up with the flip trigger up. With the flip trigger down, there is no problem (for me). When it started up with the trigger up, I just flip the trigger down and restart the joystick by pulling the USB cable from the black box. Then, the programmed buttons work again. For me, there is no need to reprogram or rewrite configurations or recalibrate, I just have to make sure that the trigger is down on startup.
The last firmware I think didn't care about flip trigger up or down on startup was v2_06_8 XT (I think, not sure); I'm running v2_09_5 XT at the moment.

(Little disclaimer: I have the MCG Pro, not Ultimate, but I don't think the flip trigger is all that different, so it might be worth a try.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

3 minutes ago, ams999 said:

I don't have an explanation (other than "it's the firmware") but for me, this problem occurs when the joystick boots up with the flip trigger up. With the flip trigger down, there is no problem (for me). When it started up with the trigger up, I just flip the trigger down and restart the joystick by pulling the USB cable from the black box. Then, the programmed buttons work again. For me, there is no need to reprogram or rewrite configurations or recalibrate, I just have to make sure that the trigger is down on startup.
The last firmware I think didn't care about flip trigger up or down on startup was v2_06_8 XT (I think, not sure); I'm running v2_09_5 XT at the moment.

(Little disclaimer: I have the MCG Pro, not Ultimate, but I don't think the flip trigger is all that different, so it might be worth a try.)

I'll give this a try and see if I can recreate, thanks! 

2 hours ago, ams999 said:

Great find! I had not noticed that. This probably has something to do with the calibration procedure for the trigger. It's supposed to be down when starting the calibration and the GF does an auto calibration at start up, so having it up probably messes with that process.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ams999 said:

I was able to recreate this and you are 100% correct, thanks!

1 hour ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I was able to recreate this and you are 100% correct, thanks!

Good deal! Love my Ultimate Grip with foldable metal trigger. I too have a button press for up and for down, use it for the master arm in the Hornet. But yeah gotta include it in the calibration routine. Mine has been working great from day 1 and I got it when it was first released.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|