Boeing vs. UX Design

Flagrum

UX Design - User Interface Design. Can Boeing even ...?

If I was to buy a new, would I consider Boeing as manufacturer/brand? NO. To me it seems apparent, that they can't design a proper user interface. My car would probably have nice cruise control ... but no accelerator pedal. You set the desired speed in a submenu of the board computer. The windshield wiper could only activated by the co-pil... from the passenger seat and navigation system would overlay 5 symbols of when/where/why to steer to. It would not provide a simple arrow, pointing into the right direction, but would provide just a steering cues that are unrelated to the actual orientation or direction of the car.

*sigh*

FA-18 - User Interface 6.5/10
AH-64 - User Interface: 5/10

F-16 - User Interface: 8.5/10
A-10  User Interface: 8/10

... sorry, just had to let go of some steam ... ^^

(note: not complaining about what ED did - AWESOME job on those aircraft! But Boeing needs to hire some UX experts ...)

the Militaries from around the world would beg to differ.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

12 hours ago, BuzzLine said:

Most of those airframes are 40-50 years old. Remember the computers of that time ! (for those who can 😉 )   We have the benefits of hindsight and decades of UI/UX research and testing.

Yes, but other manufacturers found better solutions to similar problems.

I mean, I get it, I am biased as I am more used to other interface concepts. And surely many design decisions were implemented with a sound reasoning behind it. But still, it's just the (accumulation) of little things that seem to make things unneccessarily difficult for the users at times ...

• Like 1

For exaample the AH-64D, in service since 1998, developed before. Our Apache In DCS its around 2005. Softwarewise this is like Windows 98, Windows NT 4. 

So there are alot of (overlapping) windows, tabs are used much later.

Regarding the timeframe  the software and the UI is not that bad. My cellphone or the VHS recorder had worse UI during that timeframe 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:17 PM, Flagrum said:

UX Design - User Interface Design. Can Boeing even ...?

If I was to buy a new, would I consider Boeing as manufacturer/brand?

None of the examples you mentioned were developed by Boeing. Both the AH-64 and the F/A-18 were inherited from McDonnell-Douglas after the merger.