micro freezes and stutter gone, after switch to Vista 32

mjolner

My system:

Was on XP SP3, now running Vista 32

Both installs are less than 3 months old.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

eVGA nForce 680i SLI

4GB XMS PC6400

GeForce 9800 GTX non SLI ( Latest WHQL )

Audigy X-Fi

Was getting acceptable frame rate of about 30+ but framerate would jump around alot and would stutter really bad in external view. In addition with my Track IR3 I would get real sluggish performance and it was hard to point and click the cockpit switches.

No matter what I tweaked, be it the lua water setting, or video card settings ( anti alias, filtering ) or simply going to full low settings I could not get rid of the problem. I even tried the affinity settings. Made no difference.

When I switched to Vista 32 everything changed. Runs smoothe as silk. 40+ average frames. The cockpit performance with TrackIR was like night and day, I can actually click and reposition the right switch on the first try. My general test is going to external view and slewing around over a city, and rotating up to the horizon, with Vista this test was much smoother and frame rate did not jump around.

I have pretty much everything set to high settings including, textures, scenes, visibility, shadows. heat blur on and I am running 4x antialiasing and 8x ansitropic filtering.

Now I honestly think that my XP install was the culprit. I have no idea what. But if you are having problems like I had with XP and a comparable system look into the possibility of really evaluating your (OS) install and do a decent house cleaning or maybe think about a re-installing your OS.

Cheers

Edited by mjolner

Now these guys are finally happy, huh??

bill-vs-hodgman-joke-image.jpg

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, GTX260, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.

Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4

BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH

More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.

I want to clarify that I do not think Vista is better than XP, I have a dual boot system and I mostly run XP.

But I did experience a significant performance increase and I do not know why and suspect that possibly a software related problem was effecting Black Shark on MY Xp install.

Who knows? So I am not advocating that anyone switch to Vista but look into software conflicts that may exist in XP.

Edited by mjolner

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically, I'm having the exact issue described in the first post using Windows Vista 32 and a 8800 GTX card.

TrackIR works swimmingly the first time I run Black Shark. Any time afterwards and TrackIR gets progressively sluggish.

I shouldn't have to reboot every time I want to play.

Funny, that is the same thing many people using Win98 said about XP when it first came out . And now look how many people are using that "bloatware".

Some things never change.;)

Out

LOL--I remember installing Win95 on my machine back in the day and my friend stuck with Win 3.11 saying it was better. This is the same dude who just asked me the other day "Ohhh, you are running Vista 64 now?" I've had Vista for the last 2 years!

Gigabyte|Q6600|8GB DDR3|GTX285|Win7 64|X-65

Im running a single core 3.2 overclocked to 4.0. When I,m playing off line I turn off all services before starting the sim. OS is XP and it runs smooth as silk. Memory is PC-6400 (Mushkin). I have not tried OCing that yet but it is on my to do list. My motherboard also provides for variations in the PCIE bus so I'll probably do some experimentation there also. I am running a Zalman heatpipe cooler on the old Prescott but it seems to be really stable at 4.0.

When I,m playing off line I turn off all services before starting the sim. OS is XP and it runs smooth as silk.

Can you please tell which services you turn off? I am tired of micro freezes and stutter on my relatively good PC: C2D E8500 + GF7950GT + WinXP SP3.

The suttering issue for me in windows XP seemed to be related to the page file configuration.

I changed the page file from system managed to a set min/max size and actually moved it to a partition other than the gaming partition. This fixed the stuttering issue in Winxp for me.

Can you please tell which services you turn off? I am tired of micro freezes and stutter on my relatively good PC: C2D E8500 + GF7950GT + WinXP SP3.

Go to the services feature in control panel and see which services are running when you are doing normal computing. The ones that are started shoud be set to automatic leave with that setting and then stop service, they will restart when you reboot. If I am playing offline I normally disable the network in control panel and then shut down all services that I can. After playing I then reboot and everything is back where it should be. I also have my swap files set rather than let windows manage them and they are on a different drive than my os. OS is on C drive and paging is on D drive. Most antivirus ,firewall, and disk defragmenters shuch as Diskeeper use system resources and are not needed if you disable your network connection. As you highlight each service it will give you a brief discription of what it does. As I stated before if they are set to automatic and you get into trouble just reboot to start them again. Hope this helps.

Edited by congo

Thank you Alpha, congo.

Looks like moving page file to another partition helped a bit. I cannot say the same about stopping services.

In my case it can be memory speed issue. The story is like this. I have upgraded MB, CPU and RAM. One of the RAM modules ( DDR2-1066) was bad and I am currently waiting for a replacement. Meanwhile I am using old, slow memory DDR2-667.

I am going to repeat tests when I get right memory modules.

Thanks again and happy flying.

qwertM3.