Operating at Night gets really Confusing!!!!

JOEM423

If Operating the Sensors wasnt hard enough during the day, Operating them gets really confusing when you throw PNVS, TADS, and IHAADS al together into the mix at Night!!!! I better watch the CasmoTV videos 20 more times!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL  🤣🤣🤣🤣

Keep up the great work fellas,

Joe

• Like 2

I did my first night op last night with some mates, by George was it straining to have my brain switching between eyes in VR from right eye PNVS outside, to left eye for in cockpit scan. Twas bloody rewarding to have my CPG slinging Hellfire’s while I focused solely on the hover, wish more servers online would start to introduce more night missions or at least dawn/sunset. 

• Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

LoL I'm still trying to hover this thing in the daytime with good weather, watch all the videos and just don't have the touch.

Edited by tusler
  • Like 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

1 hour ago, tusler said:

LoL I'm still trying to hover this thing in the daytime with good weather, watch all the videos and just don't have the touch.

Do you use an extension on your cyclic stick?

That's "the touch" you're missing! I'm using about 30cm. Stickbase ist almost on the ground. Spring tension set to a minimum.

Same thing as with the gazelle. If you have the right controller setup, they do exactly what you want!

• Like 4

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

3 hours ago, Scofflaw said:

I just did a whole night mission through the mountains. I found it really disorienting and unnerving, but quite enjoyable.  

I agree. The PNVS is very disorienting at night in VR. I hope flying more will help me get used to it. Regardless, it was still enjoyable. I landed with the PNVS because I forgot we have NVGs. It was a brutal landing but I made it. 😁

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

vor 15 Stunden schrieb pimp:

I agree. The PNVS is very disorienting at night in VR. I hope flying more will help me get used to it. Regardless, it was still enjoyable. I landed with the PNVS because I forgot we have NVGs. It was a brutal landing but I made it. 😁

Hope so too. I think we have to get used to the limited FOV and the missing depth perception in VR.

During the day I have no problem flying extremely low maintaining 80 knots and squeeze myself between every gap in a tree line. But at night with the PNVS I have the feeling to fly low but when I look at the altimeter... 50 ft. I also permanently have the feeling that things are closer than they actually are.

Maybe I will try it really slow next time 🙃

This chopper is a true master piece. Really glad ED made this possible.

• Like 1

I can't fly it at night yet. I'm running in VR and when I pull up the PNVS, everything in the PNVS is at a much lower FPS than everything else. The whole sim doesn't drop frames, just the PNVS display. It's weird and I don't have the computer-savy brain to figure it out.

1 hour ago, Jetguy06 said:

I can't fly it at night yet. I'm running in VR and when I pull up the PNVS, everything in the PNVS is at a much lower FPS than everything else. The whole sim doesn't drop frames, just the PNVS display. It's weird and I don't have the computer-savy brain to figure it out.

Do you mean when you move your head around the PNVS lags?  If so, that is accurate, the PNVS can traverse 60° per second or something like that, so if you whip your head around it won't be able to keep up.

23 hours ago, Niehorst said:

Do you use an extension on your cyclic stick?

That's "the touch" you're missing! I'm using about 30cm. Stickbase ist almost on the ground. Spring tension set to a minimum.

Same thing as with the gazelle. If you have the right controller setup, they do exactly what you want!

I'm sure an extension makes it easier, but it is definitely possible without. I have a Gladiator NXT, no extension, and hovering is ok. It took a few hours to develop the right feel for it, and I was ok with the other helos already, so if this is someone's first time it will probably take a chunk more time to get to some levels of competence.

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

I think the PNVS does 120°/sec. The TADS does half of that, when I'm right.

If you get the feeling it gets more "laggy", check your NVS selector switch.

Perhaps you used the TADS as PNVS

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

Like an IRL pilot friend said, you just have to power through it until you get accustomed.

One thing that I found to help me is to constantly play with brightness and contrast and FLIR gain to set overlay in way that give you best feeling. And, at least for first few minutes, avoid looking at brigthly lit areas, it will make you dizzy trying to decide which eye to focus on. After 10-15 minutes you should be all set

• ED Team

I mentioned in another post, the first night mission I did was very disorientating for me, its just something you get used to. 
I would do short simple flights first to get use to it. 

thanks

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm getting used to flying at night both in VR and 2D. The hard part is when you are try to look at something that's off to one side of the aircraft and relatively nearby. This is when disorientation can increase due to the sensor being located several feet in from of you.

As for landing or hovering at night, this is when the IHADDS symbology really comes into its own. You lose most of your external visual cues, but the Hover and Bob-Up symbology modes really help. It's worth learning to use them in daylight just so you know how to interpret them when you need to.

20 hours ago, Teeps said:

Do you mean when you move your head around the PNVS lags?  If so, that is accurate, the PNVS can traverse 60° per second or something like that, so if you whip your head around it won't be able to keep up.

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy day. No, I believe you're thinking of the TADS that traverses at 60 d/s. The PNVS traverses at about double that, 120 d/s or so. No, what I mean is, even with my head held straight forward, so the PNVS turret isn't traversing, everything in the PNVS is at a lower FPS. I'm just guessing off the top of my head, but I'd say in the PNVS is around 10-15 fps, while everything outside the PNVS is somewhere around 40 and smooth.

It's really weird because it's not a global FPS issue. It's not even left eye vs right eye. It's basically that my entire left eye is, let's say, at 45 FPS. But in my right eye, in the PNVS symbology (everything that's in IR), it's about 15 FPS. But also in my right eye, outside the IR PNVS symbology, it's 45 FPS again. I don't have the expertise to figure it out, but I know from watching plenty of videos since the release that the PNVS should be alot smoother and have what is basically real-world frame rates, or as close as you can get to that given your hardware.

• Like 2

mmh maybe check this option in graifk settings: "Res of cockpit displays" there are several options and options marked with every frame.

I am not sure but if i recall correctly it may influence how often MFDs etc are updated and the resolution of that, maybe this has an influence on the PNVIS

6 minutes ago, jayst0r said:

mmh maybe check this option in graifk settings: "Res of cockpit displays" there are several options and options marked with every frame.

I am not sure but if i recall correctly it may influence how often MFDs etc are updated and the resolution of that, maybe this has an influence on the PNVIS

I've seen that before too. My option is and has always been set to 512, but I might try it at a lower value and see how that goes. Let me get back inside real quick and I'll fire up a quick hot start mission and try it out. I'll report back in a bit.

Am 24.3.2022 um 03:51 schrieb Jetguy06:

It's really weird because it's not a global FPS issue. It's not even left eye vs right eye. It's basically that my entire left eye is, let's say, at 45 FPS. But in my right eye, in the PNVS symbology (everything that's in IR), it's about 15 FPS. But also in my right eye, outside the IR PNVS symbology, it's 45 FPS again. I don't have the expertise to figure it out, but I know from watching plenty of videos since the release that the PNVS should be alot smoother and have what is basically real-world frame rates, or as close as you can get to that given your hardware.

I also experienced this. I changed the MFD render resolution to something with "every frame" but havn't tested it since then. Maybe I ll check it out today and report back. If it is still a problem I will try to make a video that demonstrates the issue. But for that I have to figure out how to make good VR videos without having a second screen.

EDIT:

Don't know for sure if setting the MFD rendering to "every frame" solved it, but I no longer experienced the reduced frame rate of the PNVS in yesterdays night flight.

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, Wychmaster said:

I also experienced this. I changed the MFD render resolution to something with "every frame" but havn't tested it since then. Maybe I ll check it out today and report back. If it is still a problem I will try to make a video that demonstrates the issue. But for that I have to figure out how to make good VR videos without having a second screen.

EDIT:

Don't know for sure if setting the MFD rendering to "every frame" solved it, but I no longer experienced the reduced frame rate of the PNVS in yesterdays night flight.

The every frame option renders 60 fps for the FLIR / TADS / PNVS. It is the smoothest experience you can get (but more gpu-hungry). The normal options without the option "every frame" renders only at 30 fps (or less). This feels slightly sluggish but still ok on the MFD but with IHADS it is very noticeable.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

On 3/22/2022 at 4:26 AM, tusler said:

Set your rudder to +25 curve

Set your cyclic to +30 curves in both axis

and trim trim trim