Anyone with maxed out ram in game / memory leak

Gruble

I have been using this program for a long time and seems to help especially in parts of the Syria map. Go to options and turn on both options to clean ram at 80 percent. It seems to help free up ram and keeps it from maxing out. Let me know if this helps anyone. It runs in the background but uses almost no resources. Have a great evening.

https://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

Edited by Gruble
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 8:15 AM, PLUTON said:

Explanations Mr DeltaMyke please!🤔

The concern is, that DCS is gonna have to fill the RAM back up again anyway.  Perhaps it's a question of trading performance for consistency or something. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, I will give this a try.

It might proves helpful since a well known trick in VR, is to alt-tab out of DCS and go back after a while (a minute or so) 

I will let you know if this helps

I don't think that's what throwing out the baby with the bath water means ;).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I have tried memcleaner for a few sessions and it seems all my stutters are gone !

This might  be a little bit soon to claim victory, and I should make some further investigations. 

So far the results are very promising. 

can anyone concur ?

Out of interest, how are you using this tool to clear memory?  During a mission, just prior to loading a new mission

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

19 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Out of interest, how are you using this tool to clear memory?  During a mission, just prior to loading a new mission

It runs in the background and constantly keeps it low, when I've run it Syria ram usage is around 18-20gb without it it's gobbled up almost all of the 32gb.

I don't generally use it at the moment as I've not tested to confirm it actually helps performance at all, like @DeltaMike pointed out above, if you clear the ram then you might just be needing to fill it back up again.  I don't know enough about memory allocation/usage to quantify how well this works, more testing needed 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Agreed. Would be useful to understand the method by which DCS releases the use of memory.

In theory, preloading lots of textures and keeping them within available RAM is a good thing, as it should reduce the number of new fetches of data from storage.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

FWIW I run memory cleaner right before launching DCS... and forget it.

I haven't checked the actual memory usage of my 32gb with and without memorycleaner. Right now,  the VR stutters that were plaguing my game after a while seems to be gone. I can play as much as I want without restarting / alt-tabing DCS.

One possible explanation could be related to some kind of memory leak that fills the RAM forcing the system to swap data on the hard drive.Since the RAM is prevented from being maxed out, there is no swap file on the HD and no VR stutters. I know it seems simplistic as an explanation, but it's plausible enough to me.

Edited by pixie

1 hour ago, PLUTON said:

I use this software as I said above
but since it works in the background why
I change missions my fps drop until I restart DCS?😩

That's related to running out of VRAM*, this tool only keeps the system ram clear.

*Reducing texture sizes, resolution, antialiasing and view distance will all help reduce vram usage, it's better with openxt compared to steamvr but still does happen.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.