Apache missing maps?

Floyd1212

Can someone provide a brief rundown of how the scales work for the maps?  Specifically for the Chart style underlay?

What is the difference between using the up/down arrows at R1 & R2 vs pulling up the Scale options on the map page?

Why do I sometimes get no map image at some scales from the controls at the top right, but then I select a different scale from the list and the map shows up?

I can't tell if this is something not implemented in AE, or a bug, or I'm simply not understanding how to use it.

image.png

• Like 1

The arrows you've marked show the scale across the whole of the displayed TSD. Above this you can see the size of each of the background grid squares drawn on the display, in this case 5km.

As for the map being blank, it means there is no photographic background chart suitable for displaying at that map scale. It shares this limitation with other aircraft with moving maps such as the A-10C

The scale option on the left allow you to choose which of the background charts you want to use at the selected TSD scale in your case 25km. (I think!) Again, it comes down to whether or not there is a suitable photographic chart image available for that scale.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, flyingscotsman said:

I find that I have maps working with the a/c running and route pre-planned on Caucuses, Nellis & Marianas. But nothing on Persian Gulf. Is that right?

No, the charts available depend on the available data/scale for each theater, for the PG, "charts" are only available @ 50 NM / 1:500K and above.

Below that scale, you will need to manually select the 1:500K scale or switch to the digital elevation or satellite maps.

Screen_220322_120853.jpg

TSD @10 NM range, using 1:500K Chart

TSD 10 NM scale using 1-500K scale, PG, Screen_220322_123011.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just throwing this out, but be sure your IMUs are ready to go as well. I think when they are inaccurate, it prevents any charts from displaying since the position accuracy isn’t reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Ramsey & Malakhit, Thanks for the info, Yep I missed understanding that at some point, but it makes sense. 

It's the same in real life, we used to deploy from UK to other NATO allies, and they'd give us their maps, unlike our Ordnance Survey, they would miss out 'secret information', like the names and locations of the bases we were going to visit. (This is 40 years back in the 70's when there was no GPS or Mobile phones). So we departed Treviso where the Herc's left us and drove up to Villafranca, 'somwhere on the other side of  Verona'  but the map just had the base as a swamp, some local tracks that looked like roads, were'nt on the map, so it was easy to miscount the numbers to the right turn.... We flagged down the local police car and asked them for assistance. They were a bit suspicious at first....40 guys with green Landrovers and some 3 ton trucks....with british markings....yep that's probably terrorists. But they grudgingly showed us the way to the right road.  We were later shown a more 'trusted' map, it had all the swampy bits marked, SECRET area!!! That helped a lot...not 🙂

Yep dialling down the scale is progress lol