Different version of engine exhaust IR deflector

Wizard_03

• ED Team
33 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

Are you all sure They look pretty bolt on too me. Literally just a 90 degree duct.

They require quite a lot of doing to install them.  It's not an add-on like the up-turned exhaust on the Huey, or the suppressors on the Mi-24/Mi-8.  It's an entirely different engine cowling assembly.  Having said that, I'm hoping the option will be available at some point as well, that way the other country liveries are more realistic.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

5 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

They require quite a lot of doing to install them.  It's not an add-on like the up-turned exhaust on the Huey, or the suppressors on the Mi-24/Mi-8.  It's an entirely different engine cowling assembly.  Having said that, I'm hoping the option will be available at some point as well.

Oh I see, Yeah I just hadn't noticed the upturned ones until ED released that teaser. They don't seem like they are integrated with any systems other then the cowling.

Do all D models have them?

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

Do all D models have them?

Only US Army Apaches as far as I know.  A lot of people think it's an E-model thing, but the upturned exhausts began to get fielded to the Apache fleet as early as 2007, which pre-dated the first AH-64E deliveries by 4 years.  In fact, the very first AH-64E's didn't have them initially.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 minute ago, Raptor9 said:

Only US Army Apaches as far as I know.  A lot of people think it's an E-model thing, but the upturned exhausts began to get fielded to the Apache fleet as early as 2007, which pre-dated the first AH-64E deliveries by 4 years.  In fact, the very first AH-64E's didn't have them initially.

Oh ok, well yeah I think we should have them optional in game if that's the case. I don't see how that would be unrealistic since the model is from 2005 to 2010. 

I know they probably make things safer from IR missiles but God are they ugly lol 

• Like 2

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

• Wizard_03 changed the title to Upturned Exhaust IR suppressors
  • ED Team
2 hours ago, Remco said:

I think we're all hoping for the ASPI to be optional, but I may be biased 😄

I think it would be cool to have the other, non-US liveries with the non-ASPI exhaust.  It also requires some doing for maintainers to install/un-install the FCR, but thankfully we are getting that as an option.  We'll just have to see what happens down the road and hope it turns in our favor.

• Like 3

DCS Rotor-Head

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not expert...  but while almost all pics of ROK  Apaches show the old style, I could have sworn I saw a new ROK Guardian that had the upturned exhaust type, in a video about a female South Korean gunship pilot!! then again, the Guardian is an E not a D anyway soooo... yea...

• Wags changed the title to Remove Upturned Exhaust IR suppressors

the ASPI was integrated mid-life to the AH-64D (2005?/OIF), it was added to suppress the IR signature from the exhaust by venting it up into the cool air from the rotors, reducing the overall heat signature.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

18 hours ago, joey45 said:

So we can't take them off then?

Not for the Block Modelled, by this block and year they were fully deployed and installed full time.

During initial fielding (2001-2003/04?) they took them off when the Apache's were back home and rotated them to ones deploying, especially to OIF,
Once the Army had enough they were mounted full time as it's not a simple process to install/uninstall. 

it doesn't simply bolt overtop of the existing exhaust, the whole rear assembly/cowling is removed and the ASPI Exhaust is installed in it's place.

The ASPI Exhaust is part of the ASE Upgrade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I was seeing weird stuff. Now educated 🙂

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]