Differential braking..?

RobdeVries

Hi there,

Small question(s) while learning to control the BS. While taxiing I noticed that there is no differential braking, only the (Crtl-)W braking and Park Brake (PB)?

I have a CH Rudder and it would be nice to use the toe brake(s)

Another one related: the castoring front wheel, why does it castor to the left (or right) when standing stationary with either engine on/off and collective fully down. Does it have some kind of brake to stop the front wheel from castoring? Or do I use the PB for that.

Bit silly questions I guess but I'm a longtime MS FS9/FSX flyer so these little sim details matter to me :music_whistling:

Thanks in advance,

Rob

The nosewheel is steerable and therefore isn't castoring, but will self centre I believe.. Not sure though. The reason you'll notice it turn and if you switch to an external view you'll see your rudder has turned too is because of the autopilot. It seems to want to turn you onto heading even while you are on the ground...

At least that's my take on what you're seeing...

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

The nosewheel is castering and not steerable.

So why does it turn if you are stationary? Is that a bug?

My experiences of castoring nosewheels have always seen them stay perfectly still unless I am moving....

So why does it turn if you are stationary? Is that a bug?

Nope, that's a feature. Selforienting gears are little obstacle for non-centered pedals. The reason why it turns even when you're stationary is that your pedals are not trimmed in the neutral. Even with parking brakes ON, pedal input is able to turn the nose gear. Tested IRL with Ka-32 which has even 2 nose selforienting gears.

And yes, there is no differential braking on the real thing.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

• ED Team
Nope, that's a feature. Selforienting gears are little obstacle for non-centered pedals. The reason why it turns even when you're stationary is that your pedals are not trimmed in the neutral. Even with parking brakes ON, pedal input is able to turn the nose gear. Tested IRL with Ka-32 which has even 2 nose selforienting gears.

Really, didnt know this! This bugged me like hell when trying to film the KA-50 standing still without the wheel turning :D :P

So how can it be castoring if pedal input has an effect on it? Lost in translation maybe?

Must've misread it then, I assumed (yes I know assumptions) that it was meant it was linked directly and not indirectly through the differential torque. Still stuck in plank mode and forget the helicopter intricacies at times!