Doing some progress.......

zero

If I remember correct - KA- 50 (early 32bit) was easier to fly. A simpler and sloppier joystick did work OK.

Maybe it is too much with axis tune, and HUD stuff today?

What works for me at moment(will change)

Axis tune - saturation Y = 75.  Some slight curvature at 8.   ( TM X52PRO).

Trim force UP set to easy to reach button without wiggling joystick too much - I use a thumb switch on throttle.

General use of trim: 

Wait a second until you have steady pressure on a new joystick position - then hit Trim force UP.  Hitting trim while wiggling around makes things worse.

Then IMPORTANT - release joystick to center pos!!  You are now flying at new trim.  Not release to center - joystick is locked.....

My hover is really bad, but getting better. First hours I used axis deflection indicator up left. But now I realized I focus on it too much. My hover and flight is better without it. Concentrating on horizon point, and not on HUD symbol do also help at my stage in training.

I found the weight on instant action menu flights are too high. I made a new mission with only fuel onboard.

Do the hover training over 5 feet with tailwheel unlocked. Skidding sideways at lower altitude and wheels will catch ground with a flip result.

When I am tired on hover training, I fly as a fixed wing with rolling takeoff and landing.  Tailwheel locked on both.

I can now hit the runway with POD symbol (Point of Death), and now more often POI (Point of Impact) with survival.

But my last landings was very good at speed 30 - 40 knots touch down and a nice roll out with tail wheel locked.

(I know it is not called HUD...... )

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

I’ve adapted as well. I never flew the KA-50 though. The only thing I’m concerned about is when the FCR comes, how am I going to be able to map all these buttons?!?

Otherwise, I mostly occupy the PLT position and order Georgie to use Hellfires. I’ve noticed George doesn’t use the gun very well. Especially while in motion, like he doesn’t know how to lead. In cases of that, I just do the gun and make him look like an idiot. However, I make myself look like an idiot being shot down, or forgetting the trigger safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

52 minutes ago, Eagle7907 said:

I’ve adapted as well. I never flew the KA-50 though. The only thing I’m concerned about is when the FCR comes, how am I going to be able to map all these buttons?!?

Otherwise, I mostly occupy the PLT position and order Georgie to use Hellfires. I’ve noticed George doesn’t use the gun very well. Especially while in motion, like he doesn’t know how to lead. In cases of that, I just do the gun and make him look like an idiot. However, I make myself look like an idiot being shot down, or forgetting the trigger safety.

If you are already shooting stuff you are way ahead of me. Still working on cold starts and taming this beast. I figure I need to know where to land and how to land where I want it to land before I progress any further.

I am being a bit methodical in  how I learn this thing but want to really nail down each step as I go. 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

If you are already shooting stuff you are way ahead of me. Still working on cold starts and taming this beast. I figure I need to know where to land and how to land where I want it to land before I progress any further.

I am being a bit methodical in  how I learn this thing but want to really nail down each step as I go. 

I'm the opposite. I started with the guns and then the night vision. And as soon as I could fly around and shoot stuff with that beautiful FLIR, the price of admission was justified. I've got the weapons going pretty good, George cooperates, and the flying is fast and low and tight.

Can't land worth s**t. :drinks_drunk:

• Like 3

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'm the opposite. I started with the guns and then the night vision. And as soon as I could fly around and shoot stuff with that beautiful FLIR, the price of admission was justified. I've got the weapons going pretty good, George cooperates, and the flying is fast and low and tight.

Can't land worth s**t. :drinks_drunk:

Lol - I will get there hopefully soon. Until I can land proper I ain't going any further. I am stubborn lol. Nice thing about it is I always start by doing cold start so I am learning that pretty good now.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, my hovering tends to be a bit unstable, but for the most part I can takeoff land and shoot during daylight. I’m terrified doing this in the dark.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

4 hours ago, zero said:

My hover is really bad, but getting better. First hours I used axis deflection indicator up left. But now I realized I focus on it too much. My hover and flight is better without it. Concentrating on horizon point, and not on HUD symbol do also help at my stage in training.

Yes! I couldn't stress this enough. Turning off that indicator was one of the best things I did. It allows you more to 'feel' where the trim is rather than constantly checking to see where your stick is positioned. It's very distracting.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

3 hours ago, dburne said:

We have a very different approach. I've flown it 90 minutes so far. Done two small missions. I get George to fire Hellfires.  But not rockets. And he sucks with the 30mm. So I do that. Don't know how to adjust the range. So just  follow the impact until you get it on targets. 

Managed to get it down on the H more or less in control.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

4 minutes ago, JOEM423 said:

Just Stick the Landing......🤣😂 Im in the same boat. Usually I just follow the FPM and then Slam on the brakes. 😂

I'll try to stick the landing. Right now I'm doing the increased decibel expletive style landing.

Get slow, get low, line everything up, trim as best as possible, and then the inevitable "F****************K!!!" 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!