Markings for self on F10 map

Bozon

Abstract: I am talking about the ability to place various marks on F10 map that are for the user only and are not sent over the internet.

The need:

We need the ability to plan a route in MP while in the mission - typically on the ground before takeoff, but also in the air, especially in planes like the Mosquito that actually have a navigator.

This is critical especially in warbirds and cold-war era servers. Since there is no nav computer much of the navigation is map-compass-watch style and require planning: timing, landmarks to spot en-route, etc. Cold war may use VOR/DME/TACAN (or the Soviet equivalents) and that also requires a bit of planning.

My focus is the Mosquito, and 0 altitude navigation in MP requires a certain amount of dead reckoning, and visual navigation that are very difficult with the current tools - i have to memorize my plan and visual check points and then move the F10 ruler to the next leg before I start it.

Suggested implementation:

The markers can be very basic: “leg” which is basically the current ruler, except we can keep a few of them on the map. “Point” which is a circle to indicate landmarks we need to observe or the target/ip point/etc. “tag” just a small box of text we can write a few numbers/words in them.

The markers are local-only and are are not shared with other players. Keep it simple.

Extra mile: Indicate the magnetic variation somewhere on F10 map. 

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!