Weather improvements status?

It's been a while since we got the new clouds (a year more or less). It was stated that soon after the launch, we would have improvements and fixes, but I haven't noticed any significant improvement regarding this matter and I can't remember any news letter in many months talking about this. I wonder if we could have some info about the developement status of this stuff...new clouds types, moving weather, humidity depiction, clouds woble fix, dawn/dusk lighting adjustments, fog implementation, etc.

I think the team has been performing quite well these last years, even now given the tough times, just would love to know something about all this, if possible.

Thanks and keep it up!

• Like 17

Take a look at my MODS here

+1

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

+1

I am also very surprised that there has been nothing new for a year. It sounded to me as if there would be timely updates. For example, the cloud quality in VR is still far from the 2D quality. Furthermore, the clouds in general are still very ... "blurry" and need more contrasts and details.

Edited by Germane
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think ED is working on this through their efforts to implement multicore and Vulkan API. Other improvements before and after that will hopefully come.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

I also really want dynamic weather with moving weather systems and the likes but honestly, the thing we need the most right now is to regain the ability to manually set the cloud layers. We're so limited at the moment by the small amount of weather presets we're actually allowed to pick from.

• Like 5

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

I've gone back to setting manual weather and not using any of the new cloud presets. You just get the one layer, but at least you can set it to an altitude that doesn't interfere with TGPs.

I'm also hoping for some updates to be able to have more control over the weather.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

On 3/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

It's been a while since we got the new clouds (a year more or less). It was stated that soon after the launch, we would have improvements and fixes, but I haven't noticed any significant improvement regarding this matter and I can't remember any news letter in many months talking about this. I wonder if we could have some info about the developement status of this stuff...new clouds types, moving weather, humidity depiction, clouds woble fix, dawn/dusk lighting adjustments, fog implementation, etc.

I think the team has been performing quite well these last years, even now given the tough times, just would love to know something about all this, if possible.

Thanks and keep it up!

Meanwhile the 2021 Newsletter show some points

Some clue was show on the 2022 and beyond video, with a moving weather front with rain (0:52).

and yes, ED has not show actually a new newsletter about your status.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Meanwhile the 2021 Newsletter show some points

Some clue was show on the 2022 and beyond video, with a moving weather front with rain (0:52).

and yes, ED has not show actually a new newsletter about your status.

that's the whole point of the thread...that was more than a year ago!

• Like 4

Take a look at my MODS here

It's wild to me an entire year later and things like Rain 3 still doesn't show rain, and the fog is still in whatever ... this is.

And over a year later from the roadmap of:

The wait is almost over, and the new clouds for DCS World will be introduced in the 1st quarter of 2021. In addition to being visually stunning, the new clouds will block visual and optical sensor line of sight and be synchronized online. We will initially release the new cloud system with an array of weather presets that will cater to most mission building scenarios. Later in the year, we will update the Weather Tool in the Mission Editor that will allow finer control of the clouds with a dynamic weather system based on a more advanced meteorological engine.

Still not a peep news wise on sensor blockage, dynamic system, nor fog.

Don't get me wrong folks, but a little clarification would be really appreciated.

I'm getting incredibly tired of seeing all of these videos from these youtubers and instagramers of versions of DCS that others appear to be playing now for months or even an entire year that nobody has access to. Why share these videos? It's irritating not to mention, false marketing.

Screen_220417_195913.png

Screen_220417_200025.png

Edited by XCNuse
  • Like 4

The weather isn't perfect, but come on...... it's got it's moments. I've literally stopped what I'm doing just to enjoy the weather while flying. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's done this.....

Weather1.jpg

Weather2.jpg

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

I would love to see a merger of style. 

Take IL2-Stalingrad's cloud formations, and combine them with DCS's cloud detail and lighting.    

IL2's cloud formations have wonderful adherence to actual cloud patterning, and how cells and pressure fronts will actually form clouds.  They're not just layers with textures.  They're not just a configuration of shapes.  They resemble a real, changing and dynamic pressure difference in how they stack and dissipate.  The issue is - they're soft on lighting and detail, so they can also resemble something out of a cartoon or rendering.  The variance, and the realistic shaping and stacking is there, however.

DCS's clouds have amazing detail and lighting.  They've got the shadows and the depths correct.  They've got the detailed look of real clouds when you zoom in to them. They properly cast/deflect light below them and their coloring in twilight is spot on.  Their issue is they're formulaic, flat, patterned and even when they're made to 'stack', it's not a 'formation', it's simply one fat layer approaching another, so you never truly have a thunderhead cumulonimbus, you never get true mackerel skies, with their spotting and also their lines and waves.  You get a fatter layer of stratus that piles up like a big leaf pile right below another strata, and formations don't really look like that.   

That's my wish.  I think if you took the formations of IL2-Stalingrad's clouds, and skinned those formations with DCS texturing and modeling, and DCS lighting, you'd have one helluva sky.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...