6800XT low frames

Just got a 6800XT to replace my 1080 non-Ti and my framerates haven't improved at all.

Using DCS Liberation, playing in the new Syria map with an Apache, flying from Haifa, I'm getting FPS in the high teens and steady in the mid 20s.  This isn't any better than I had with my 1080.  Playing at 1440, AMD Adrenaline is re-installed.

Prior to installing the new GPU, I used DDU to delete all the nVidia stuff in safe mode, so there should be 0 driver conflicts.

image.png

I turned off the SSAA, SSAO, etc. and maxed out MSAA options as suggested in a vid I saw, but I'm still barely in the 30s in FPS from Haifa.

apache_syria.jpg

Edited by CybrSlydr

I recently updated from 2080 Super to 6900XT and got the same experiance of unexpected bad performance at the beginning.

Try:

- Delete content of C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2
- Delete content of C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo

They will be regenerated automatically

Also, if you have active scripts, rename the folder C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts to something else, to make sure that they are not loaded any more. Espacially the scripts seamed to me causing a drop of fps, feeling like a chain of micro stutters.

• Like 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

Glad to here that deleting the caches helped a bit.
Did you also deactivate the special graphic card options from Adrenalin software? There is some sharping, scaling etc. which was by default activated on mine. 
Please also post your ingame graphic settings to get a better feeling. Also, what is your CPU und RAM?
What I also recommend is to show the overlay metriks from Adrenalin and observe (post here) the load of gpu, cpu and ram while flying. are all maps affected?

• Like 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

• 1 month later...

It's DCS not your hardware  . Try another game see what you get  .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

The 6800XT is not a world wonder. It requires the rest of the hardware to fit and the system to be set up correctly. Heat must be removed properly, RAM must be fast, BIOS might be required to be adapted. And from a 1080 to a 6800XT you might (!) even have a power issue. 

and liberation probably requires a lot of CPU power.

Edited by Ephedrin

6900XT user here. Try setting a custom profile under performance/tuning tab in the adrenalin software. Use a max clock speed of whatever the rated max boost for your card is (2509mhz in my case) and then set a minimum either 100 or 200mhz less than that, I set my mine to 2400mhz Also pop your power to 115%, the 6900XT and 6800XT are crazy efficient and won't pull much over 250W which is roughly the same as a 1080 draws.

I also slightly undervolt mine to 1125mV and run the memory at 2150 with fast timings but I'd leave those for now.

Save the profile with a handy name for future reference.

If the profile is unstable the card will just revert back to default so no harm done.

The default adrenalin driver profiles are rubbish and if the GPU is not loaded to 100% gpu clock speeds can fluctuate between 800mhz and whatever the max rated boost hence the choppy experience and unstable frame rates you're experiencing. I had this issue both in DCS and XP11 until setting a custom profile.

It's quite a different driver setup compared to nVidia (which seems to have much more stable frequencies from lower GPU usage %) and takes some getting used to. I went from a 2080ti to the 6900XT and it's significantly quicker across the board once tuned properly.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MrNelz

Be aware that Liberation is typically very CPU heavy, due to the number of units involved.

It's could be that your CPU is limiting your frame rate.  Try instead using a very simple mission that you can self create in the mission editor and see if that's any better.

Another option (if you have a spare 5-6GB of RAM) is to run Liberation using the dedicated server, which offloads AI pathfinding and similar to a different CPU core.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.