Rudder Pedals

Hey Guys,

Just looking for some input as to what are the best pedals to use with the Apache considering I'm using Saitek Combat pedals now and they are a little rough on these middle-aged knees.  Anything really solidly built with very little force required?  I looked into a Virpil set that was recommended to me (spring can be removed) but 53 cm is a bit wider than I'd like (but if they're good enough, I can prob get it to work).  Thx. 

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Loved MFG crosswinds, love my Slaw Vipers (but they are discontinued now as the new product is being produced), and VKB makes a nice set of anti torque pedals...albeit minus toe brakes.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

6 hours ago, Invisibull said:

Hey Guys,

Just looking for some input as to what are the best pedals to use with the Apache considering I'm using Saitek Combat pedals now and they are a little rough on these middle-aged knees.  Anything really solidly built with very little force required?  I looked into a Virpil set that was recommended to me (spring can be removed) but 53 cm is a bit wider than I'd like (but if they're good enough, I can prob get it to work).  Thx. 

VKB t rudders

• Like 2

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

20 hours ago, Greyman said:

MFG Crosswinds will be worth a look.   

They have a centre tensioning spring that can easily be removed to adapt them for helicopter flying and they are solidly put together.

Are you saying that you can basically adjust the force required to get full deflection to almost zero?  I don't see the ability to remove the spring  mentioned in this video. thx. 

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

From the still on the video you have linked, you can see an adjustment knob just beneath the "M" of "MFG".  Just loosen that a bit and the bottom end of the spring it adjusts can be removed, altogether or left so loose that it has very little effect.

MFG Crosswind with "combat" pedal pads (heels on floor) and damper kit will be perfect for helicopters, as the hydraulic damper allow the pedal keep the last position.

https://mfg-sim.com/en/MFG -Blog/news/new-combat-footrests-hydraulic-damper-mods

Slaw Devices have RH ROTOR Rudder Pedals, that include brake pads (3 axes) and allow hydraulic damper installation.

Edited by Sokol1_br

21 hours ago, Invisibull said:

Are you saying that you can basically adjust the force required to get full deflection to almost zero?  I don't see the ability to remove the spring  mentioned in this video. thx. 

They actually come without the spring fitted.
Have a look here:

On 3/23/2022 at 4:17 PM, Greyman said:

From the still on the video you have linked, you can see an adjustment knob just beneath the "M" of "MFG".  Just loosen that a bit and the bottom end of the spring it adjusts can be removed, altogether or left so loose that it has very little effect.

Yep spring removal very quick and easy. Removed the spring on mine yesterday , I have Damper Mod on mine and wanted to remove the spring to use with the Apache. Works great for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 3/23/2022 at 2:44 PM, Invisibull said:

Yeah theres a knob and a spring that looks like you would pull it off of a screen door on the left side. This spring holds the cam in place via a loop at the end of the spring and all you need to do is take that knob off to remove ALL of the force on that spring. I wouldnt recommend taking it off completely because that cam is free floating without it and no way to bring it back into position. It CAN be relieved enough to where the damper even on its lowest setting can overcome the static friction of the spring. I absolutely LOVED my MFG crosswinds and kinda regret getting Slaw Device.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

be warned though, VKB T rudders only come with 1 axis...no toe brakes. Perfect for helicopters with skids or non cambered NWS aircraft like the Mi8/24.

My wallpaper and skins

On 3/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, Sokol1_br said:

And Mig-15, 17, 21, L-39, all British, Italian, Russian WW2 era planes (except i-16). 

That's great then you have two extra axis ( if you have toe-brakes) one can assign in them.

:thumbup:

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks for all the comments.  I ended up getting the Crosswinds and as rudder pedals they are exactly what I was looking for.  My problem now is that I find the travel of the toe brakes is about twice longer than I'm used to and pretty uncomfortable when taxiing.  Is this at all adjustable? 

1 hour ago, Invisibull said:

Thanks for all the comments.  I ended up getting the Crosswinds and as rudder pedals they are exactly what I was looking for.  My problem now is that I find the travel of the toe brakes is about twice longer than I'm used to and pretty uncomfortable when taxiing.  Is this at all adjustable? 

Angle of pedals is adjustable.

Don B

Just now, dburne said:

Angle of pedals is adjustable.

Thx, I've done that, but my issue is with how long the travel is to apply full brakes. 

3 minutes ago, Invisibull said:

Thx, I've done that, but my issue is with how long the travel is to apply full brakes. 

Why not just adjust that in DCS axis tune?

Don B

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

Why not just adjust that in DCS axis tune?

Thx again.  I've also done that, but I'd much prefer "feeling" when I've got full brakes applied like with my last set of pedals. 

4 hours ago, Invisibull said:

You could possibly make a new piece to replace the part that holds the spring end and restricts the pedal movement, then recalibrate in the MFG app.

3 hours ago, Invisibull said:

You could get the combat pedal set instead of the full foot pad included in the crosswinds kit. I placed mine in the full upright position and it felt like using the gas and brake pedal in my car...but less distance to travel.

My wallpaper and skins

13 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

You could get the combat pedal set instead of the full foot pad included in the crosswinds kit. I placed mine in the full upright position and it felt like using the gas and brake pedal in my car...but less distance to travel.

Unfortunately, I'm already using the combat pedals.  What angle is your knee when using the toe brakes?  Mine's around 45 degrees and I feel like to apply full brakes, my calves are having to flex way too much, making it very uncomfortable to hold the brakes down for any length of time.  I'd estimate the travel is about double of my saitek combat pedals, which I've had for like 12 yrs.  I only got the Crosswinds because I was getting a little knee pain from Apache'ing so much.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:11 AM, Invisibull said:

Unfortunately, I'm already using the combat pedals.  What angle is your knee when using the toe brakes?  Mine's around 45 degrees and I feel like to apply full brakes, my calves are having to flex way too much, making it very uncomfortable to hold the brakes down for any length of time.  I'd estimate the travel is about double of my saitek combat pedals, which I've had for like 12 yrs.  I only got the Crosswinds because I was getting a little knee pain from Apache'ing so much.

Well, I have a WheelStandPro Warthog setup with my joystick stuck right in between my thighs and my chair right up against the aft frame so my knees are at a comfortable 90 degree angle. Why you all stretched out? You normally wouldnt have leg room in a tiny cockpit like a helicopter or a military aircraft. An airliner, YES. Anything smaller than a CRJ 200 will start getting cramped up front. Im picturing you driving through downtown Dallas with the seat rest all the way down...

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins