So, VR...

CybrSlydr

Got my GPU today and the G2 yesterday.  Got stuff set up - thankfully I'm not having nearly the issues some others are and mine's working pretty much flawlessly.

I did something today in DCS I've never been able to accomplish before - I completed a mid-air refuel!  Now, it did take about 15min to connect and disconnect numerous times, but I got all 12k lbs into my F16 in the mission I downloaded.

Doing it in VR was... SO FREAKING COOL.  I really think my HOTAS is in a bad position (high and forward of natural), but that VR...  Man, a little disconcerting seeing the boom coming through the canopy, but the ability to make those corrections so quickly and naturally was amazing.

Tried the AH-64 and a simple mission in the F-16 so far.  Just wish the cockpit wasn't quite so jittery (getting between 30-35fps with my 6800XT).  HUD and such is pretty good.  Also have to get used to moving my head instead of just my eyes, else text is nigh unreadable unless looking directly at it.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

Got my GPU today and the G2 yesterday.  Got stuff set up - thankfully I'm not having nearly the issues some others are and mine's working pretty much flawlessly.

I did something today in DCS I've never been able to accomplish before - I completed a mid-air refuel!  Now, it did take about 15min to connect and disconnect numerous times, but I got all 12k lbs into my F16 in the mission I downloaded.

Doing it in VR was... SO FREAKING COOL.  I really think my HOTAS is in a bad position (high and forward of natural), but that VR...  Man, a little disconcerting seeing the boom coming through the canopy, but the ability to make those corrections so quickly and naturally was amazing.

Tried the AH-64 and a simple mission in the F-16 so far.  Just wish the cockpit wasn't quite so jittery (getting between 30-35fps with my 6800XT).  HUD and such is pretty good.  Also have to get used to moving my head instead of just my eyes, else text is nigh unreadable unless looking directly at it.

Welcome! Check this thread out for helping to tune your PC to try and get 45 fps with motion smoothing to iron out your VR experience out. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330
  • Like 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

1 minute ago, CybrSlydr said:

Funny, that's the thread I've been referencing.  😄

Another poster a few days ago told me about that one too.

It's a lot of data but it has helped me for sure! It helps that I have similar specs to the OP, but it is some sound advice for everyone regardless. 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

Welcome to the wonderful world of VR! Warning: It can be addictive and harmful to your wallet...

:yes:

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

awesome to hear OP!  enjoy!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

8 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

It's amusing to me how easy it is to not think about it and just reach for something - even knowing it's VR.  The suspension of disbelief is impressive.

Or, when I'm sitting there waiting for them to finish refueling, how I keep trying to rest my elbow on the cockpit sill

OP you aren't going to hit 90fps but you should be able to hold at least 45.  

If you want, you can post up a screen shot of your settings and we can take a look for ya.  We'll also need your steam resolution settings and your pixel density.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

6 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

Or, when I'm sitting there waiting for them to finish refueling, how I keep trying to rest my elbow on the cockpit sill

Before I built my VR Pit I clean fell out of my office chair and ended up on the floor doing exactly that 🤣

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

@CybrSlydr

You have a 6800XT?  Couple of things --

• Check your Adrenaline settings, you want to set your minimum clock speed to within a couple hundred of maximum.  That won't affect your average framerate very much but it'll iron out a lot of spikes.  (See pic 1)  Screw the whales. 
  • You probably don't have quite enough stonk to run MSAA.  Not without giving up something else, like shadows.   

As an alternative, if you really want anti-aliasing, check out the ReShade suite of post processing effects.  Their SMAA effect definitely does something, it's in the general neighborhood of what MSAAx2 looks like at a third of the cost.  

You should be able to run SMAA and a couple of other effects, if you want, without difficulty.  But if even that is kicking your GPU's butt, try VR Toolkit.  Hit me up for settings.  It has a lot of features (anti-aliasing, contrast, color saturation, sharpening) and does it all in one pass, only costs you about 1.3ms which is noice

ReShade is hours of fun.  Easy install, works right out of the box with SVR, it even puts an icon on your Steam dashboard to bring up settings (see pic 2).  Check "Performance Mode" to activate the effects you have chosen.  Uncheck "Performance Mode" to tweak the effect.  Uncheck the effects to turn them off.  

amd_tuning.PNG

predication.PNG

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Click "advanced control" to get at voltage and clock speed settings

Spikes are probably coming from your clock settings, but, yes fpsVR does cause stutters.  

I've got a mission in DCS running in the F-16, doing VR, and am in Syria.

My SteamVR thing is saying I'm constantly at 22.4ish MS in 3rd person (F2 view), the bar is solid red with an occasional pink/magenta one.  I'm at about 19.0 +/- 0.2ms in first person view (F1).the bar is solid red with an occasional orange/magenta one.

Edited by CybrSlydr

It must be just Syria and the number of units.  I did a quick mission with a single EWR that I use for testing with the F-16 on Caucuses and the in-game FPS is telling me I'm getting between 45 and 60fps.
SteamVR is getting me about 15.4ms.

da2eab11d5b0f2a333b6929d44ecfa32.jpg

If you click "advanced control" it'll give you editable numbers.  Adrenaline isnt  exactly user friendly but that's where you need to go. 19ms ain't bad, it's the spikes that are killing you

Yeah you can turn fpsVR off, pull up the steam console (right controller, button with three lines)

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaMike said:

If you click "advanced control" it'll give you editable numbers.  Adrenaline isnt  exactly user friendly but that's where you need to go. 19ms ain't bad, it's the spikes that are killing you

Yeah you can turn fpsVR off, pull up the steam console (right controller, button with three lines)

Well, looking at Performance Monitor in task manager, I'm almost completely maxed out in my 32GB RAM.  That might be why - need to look at my Liberation settings and see if I can get that down a bit.  VRam is also pretty pegged, though the GPU is only at around 70% and CPU at 24%.

With the alleged rasterization performance of the next gen of GPUs, it looks like I may have jumped into the one right before they were truly capable of 4k and good FPS by default.

Edited by CybrSlydr

So, I've been thinking.

I think I'm going to return the G2.

The 6800XT just isn't up to the G2s needs for performance. I mean, it's acceptable, but I also have a slight issue with the headset.

The center clarity is great - and VR is a pretty awesome situation. But...

The edge clarity is very lacking. It feels like the center 35% is great but it's progressively worse as you go to the edge.

I move my eyes far more than my head, and that being the case, the edge clarity is a big issue for me. Especially using the F16 and Apache - it's very difficult to boresight the head sight on the Apache because of the FOV and lack of edge clarity.

The FOV is also a bit lacking for what I'd hoped.

The one thing that I DO really like is the 1:1 head tracking. To that end, I think I might just return the headset and go with a TrackIR or something like that.

Unless you folks know of another headset that can resolve my issues I listed above.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I started the return process for the G2 today.  Could take a few days before HP gets back to me and lets me know if they approve the return.  

The off-center lack of clarity is really the biggest issue.  And my 6800XT just quite isn't up to snuff when it comes to a DCS Liberation campaign at keeping a consistently smooth framerate.

I'm going to order TrackIR instead.

4 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

I started the return process for the G2 today.  Could take a few days before HP gets back to me and lets me know if they approve the return.  

The off-center lack of clarity is really the biggest issue.  And my 6800XT just quite isn't up to snuff when it comes to a DCS Liberation campaign at keeping a consistently smooth framerate.

I'm going to order TrackIR instead.

Have you used TrackIR or similar before to compare?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

2 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Have you used TrackIR or similar before to compare?

I have not, no.  Never used it before.

But one of the things I enjoyed about the headset the most was the head tracking.  Freeing up the trim hat switch on my Cougar is also pretty nice.

Edited by CybrSlydr