Worth it for a single offline player?

Steel Jaw

I would mainly fly this offline alone.  Given that I must choose between the role and AI plays a part, is it worth me getting this bird?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

14 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

I would mainly fly this offline alone.  Given that I must choose between the role and AI plays a part, is it worth me getting this bird?

I vote YES but remember it's a Beta and has lots o f bugs

• Like 1

I, too, exclusively play as SP and offline.  

For me, yes, it was worth it.  Looks great, surprisingly functional, and complex enough to give your noodle a good work out.

Works really well with the pre-release 5.2 version of Liberation as well.  Fun going orange smoke chasing with 16 hellfires.  lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

Fun going orange smoke chasing with 16 hellfires.  lol

But how are you doing this as a CP/G with George "flying" as I hear he's none too good.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

34 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

But how are you doing this as a CP/G with George "flying" as I hear he's none too good.

Depends on how involved I feel like being. lol

George is good at simple things.  So what I typically do is fly as the pilot to cold start the helo.  I'll take off and transition to forward flight at an appropriate altitude.  I'll then switch to the CP/G and tell George what heading/speed to fly.  That's when I'll start setting up the weapons as the CP/G.  

Once we get somewhere where we can blow <profanity> up, I tell George to hover and take up a good altitude and I just play plink-'em with Hellfires until they're gone, rinse/repeat.  Then I'll switch back to Pilot and fly back to base.

I do think there's more enjoyment to be had with a human along with you, but that's a hassle to me.

EDIT:  Was wrong, Cobra is 2-seat as well.  Whoops.  lol

Edited by CybrSlydr

Just now, Steel Jaw said:

He actually flies better than most, you just need to keep an eye on him, he doesn't seem to see trees. But I'm thinking you don't have to use him at all if you don't want.

I think most people exclusively SP are in the CPG seat.  More things you can't do in the back seat than the front seat.  That said...no amount of AI is gonna be able to replace a real person in a module like this or the F14.  It's designed from the ground-up as a coop experience; I think the Georges and Jesters are above and beyond tbh.  Just be glad they're there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

40 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Absolutely!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

I will be flying Solo / SP as the pilot 99%.  I may venture on line once competent.

Just scratched the surface so far but finding it challenging and fun.  Much prefer flying over riding "Shotgun" up front so will be using George as CPG.  Tried it out and seems pretty straight forward.  104th Maverick did a great video on using George as CPG so check it out (video is worth a 1000 words, eh?).

I use the Liberation campaigns for my gameplay with the Harrier/Hornet/Viper so the Apache will be great fun in those scenarios as well.  Just have to set it up with air superiority though.

Having said all that I'm glad I picked it up as a primarily Solo / SP player.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Well I am a single offline player only so I am sure hoping so. Going through the learning process currently remains to be seen how I will do with it in some campaigns or single missions. I am guessing I may end up switching between pilot and CP/G seats a lot. Will see how I get along with George.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Definitely playable in SP. Startup from the backseat, then jump in the front (press 2). George is ok for hovering and cruise, but I wouldn't trust him at lowish levels over bumpy terrain. I do all the manual flying from the front under 500' unless we're hovering in a battle position. 

George in the frontseat is functional but not great. No IFF and kinda frustrating in anything but simple training scenarios. Kick him to the back. 

In terms of an experience: MP with another human > SP CPG, george in the back > SP/MP pilot, george in the front

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

2 minutes ago, ruprecht said:

Definitely playable in SP. Startup from the backseat, then jump in the front (press 2). George is ok for hovering and cruise, but I wouldn't trust him at lowish levels over bumpy terrain. I do all the manual flying from the front under 500' unless we're hovering in a battle position. 

George in the frontseat is functional but not great. No IFF and kinda frustrating in anything but simple training scenarios. Kick him to the back. 

In terms of an experience: MP with another human > SP CPG, george in the back > SP/MP pilot, george in the front

What do you have to do to get control of flying the aircraft from the front seat?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I actually prefer to pilot and command George. I’ve been enjoying it immensely. I have ancient internet, so couldn’t multi if I wanted. I’m really looking forward to the AI updates and performance improvements.

• Like 2

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

What do you have to do to get control of flying the aircraft from the front seat?

There is a button mapping called "request controls" or something similar. 

• Like 1

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Yes absolutely, I have found there are many mission I have for the Hind and the KA-50 that other people have made and I go in and put the Apache in place of the helo's and it works great.

• Like 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Definitely worth it.  For starters, as a Hornet / viper guy you get a completely different perspective on the maps from a Helo viewpoint.  Using terrain tactically is a whole new mindset and you actually see so many little details in the maps you never even know are there from up high.

I can only compare to the shark as far as DCS helos go, It's WAY easier to startup and the weapons are like space age compared to that old birds setup.  Especially sensors.

I would prefer the sharks cannon though for anti armour. Until suppression is modelled in DCS, the AWS is a pain in the arse.  Makes a great noise though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

9 hours ago, Buschwick said:

I think most people exclusively SP are in the CPG seat.  More things you can't do in the back seat than the front seat.

This may be true, but there's one thing I can do a lot better from the back seat, and that's fly the bird. George is, in my opinion, better when used as a CPG - outside of LOAL Hellfire shots, he can operate the weapons quite effectively. He can't fly NOE effectively though, so it makes more sense for the player to be sat in the back.

Edited by Malakhit

10 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Just wait for the 14 day free trial and see for yourself. That's my plan. Hopefully it will be available sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I'm probably never gonna play this in multiplayer. If I venture into MP it will be in a Spit,P47, F86 or F16. No coop modules. 

I'm having great fun with this in singleplayer so far. I only fly as pilot and let George do his thing.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

12 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Yes it's worth getting for single player.

You can fly as pilot or CP/G and switch roles/seats in SP.

Typically you'd fly to the AO as the pilot, use IHADSS to guide/fire the gun or fire rockets.

Perhaps use AI George (CP/G) to spot potential targets but he doesn't IFF, so you'll want to view/repeat his TEDAC video on your MPD before engaging.

With Hellfires you have to 2 Options
• Remain as the pilot (hold steady hover, point nose at targets, Watch TEDAC video repeater, etc.) - while commanding AI George (CP/G) to search target areas and fire missile/gun.
• Switch to CP/G seat (TEDAC, spot/search, Lase, Fire Missile/Gun, etc) - while commanding AI George (pilot) to hover, reposition, adjust altitude, etc.

There's a little bit of skill required to sync your controls to/from the AI's when switching between seats but otherwise it works fairly well.

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

13 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Absolutely and 100%worth it for me. Also currently mainly flying SP / offline. A blast and pure fun to fly!

• Like 1