Worth it for a single offline player?

Steel Jaw

Just my two cents on the matter:

It’s doable in singleplayer, if you really want to fly the Apache and are worried about not having a second crew member.  Everything is in place for you to be able to fly and engage targets (if you don’t mind breaking immersion by switching seats), but if you are just looking for an attack helicopter for dedicated singleplayer use there is a better option.

There really isn’t any reason to pick the AH-64 over the Ka-50 for dedicated singleplayer use, unless you have some special attachment to the Apache (or have some special aversion to Russian aircraft).  The Ka-50 is designed specifically for single pilot operations and has a lot of integrated systems to reduce pilot workload.  The weapons and systems are comparable between the two modules, but you’ll get a more “full” experience flying the Ka-50 in singleplayer, being able to do everything by yourself that would require the help from the AI to do in the Apache.  It’s also a faster and far more stable bird to fly.

The main advantages of the AH-64 as a module come from it’s multicrew capability and ability to interact with other aircraft, both of which are null if you are only going to do singleplayer.  The IHADSS is a pretty cool system (if you have VR or TrackIR to fully utilize it) and the CMWS has definitely saved my hide more than once, but it’s not enough to overcome the advantages of the Ka-50 for singleplayer use in my opinion.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Interesting...I have the Ka50 but havent flown it in years, maybe time to dust it off.

Yeah same here. But it is the Apache man. I so loved both Longbow I and II, no way was I not going to add the Apache to my arsenal. And come hell or high water, I am going to learn this puppy lol. I can see myself going back and forth some between Pilot and CPG, but I can also see myself letting the CPG handle the weapons. Either way once I truly learn this thing I envision myself eventually having a lot of fun with it. I have a long way to go yet though. George is going to be my buddy.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team
15 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

I would mainly fly this offline alone.  Given that I must choose between the role and AI plays a part, is it worth me getting this bird?

I fly mostly single player in my spare time and not having any issues completing missions, I can swap between seats, and use all weapons.

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I too am having a blast in SP. Sorted out my controls for both seats and have enjoyed doing either or swapping seats in simple missions so far. 

I tend to disagree with those that suggest it was designed for MP, a lot of work has gone into making it work in SP and sure there is more the AI could do and better but as a starting point it is very playable and lots of fun. I personally find the Apache more rewarding to fly and the weapons more intuitive than the Ka-50 and just more fun but that could be just me.

For sure the ultimate experience maybe in multiplayer but for many of us our DCS time is more ad-hoc and instant action and the ability to pause or stop mid go is a pre requisite that some of the more dedicated players may not really grasp. It would be fascinating to see what the average playing time across all players is.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Coole28 said:

Just my two cents on the matter:

It’s doable in singleplayer, if you really want to fly the Apache and are worried about not having a second crew member.  Everything is in place for you to be able to fly and engage targets (if you don’t mind breaking immersion by switching seats), but if you are just looking for an attack helicopter for dedicated singleplayer use there is a better option.

There really isn’t any reason to pick the AH-64 over the Ka-50 for dedicated singleplayer use, unless you have some special attachment to the Apache (or have some special aversion to Russian aircraft).  The Ka-50 is designed specifically for single pilot operations and has a lot of integrated systems to reduce pilot workload.  The weapons and systems are comparable between the two modules, but you’ll get a more “full” experience flying the Ka-50 in singleplayer, being able to do everything by yourself that would require the help from the AI to do in the Apache.  It’s also a faster and far more stable bird to fly.

The main advantages of the AH-64 as a module come from it’s multicrew capability and ability to interact with other aircraft, both of which are null if you are only going to do singleplayer.  The IHADSS is a pretty cool system (if you have VR or TrackIR to fully utilize it) and the CMWS has definitely saved my hide more than once, but it’s not enough to overcome the advantages of the Ka-50 for singleplayer use in my opinion.  

All good points similar with lasr guided missiles , but when the RLWR with audio cues and the FCR with L flavor hellfires is implemented , I believe it will be more versatile than KA50. AS is I just love it for the cool factor 

29 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I fly mostly single player in my spare time and not having any issues completing missions, I can swap between seats, and use all weapons.

Came here to say exactly this.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I will agree with many others here I fly single player mostly, and this module is going to be a good one, after I get over the learning curve, and a few more patches.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.