Full throttle... why not?

M1Combat

Is there some reason why we shouldn't just crank the throttles all the way up all the time?  I could see if fuel use was a concern at some point where you might turn them down as much as you can and still maintain whatever flight envelope you need...  but in general...  Why not just crank them to 11?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Are you talking about the power levers or the collective?  

IIRC, the helo works on a "best RPM" principle - there's a specific RPM the computers are trying to keep.  By increasing the collective pitch of the rotors, you induce drag on the powertrain.

The more pitch on the rotors, the more resistance the powertrain is subjected to.  That's what the over-torqueing is.  The engines have to work too hard to maintain the constant RPM for the amount of pitch on the rotor blades.

So, you collectively pitch the rotors down enough that you maintain lift/motion while not over-torqueing the powertrain.

Edited by CybrSlydr

It's a simulator, you can crank them up to a thousand if you like and you can crash as many times as you like but I bet you wouldn't strap yourself in a real aircraft and do those things.  That's the only difference, your life's at stake in one and not the other.  It's not meant to put that much stress on the tranny or other very important parts on the aircraft involved in keeping the helicopter airborne. 😉 

I'm asking why :).  I know what the recommendation is :).

I'm asking why this is the correct thing to do.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

To much work trying to fly and control the rotor rpm manually and if it isn't done right <profanity> will break and you will land.  Maybe soft or maybe hard.  Try to fly the Bell 47 in a simulator which doesn't have a governor and you have to keep the rotor rpm in the green, you'll see.  And yes, that is pretty much "11" when at the Fly position.  Hope that makes sense....

"Fly" is effectively full power, governed by the aircraft systems to maintain rotor rpm. The only reason you'd lockout your throttles is to nurse the throttles manually in the event of a governor failure or similar, and at that point you're taking on the role of the governor.

• Like 1

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

I changed the "ignore detent" setting in options then found myself blowing up the engines constantly when rolling the throttle on full.. I found the reason in the manual which is explained above, that it gives you ability to set speed as a backup using the levers...

• Like 1