Ka-50 vs Apache what do you prefer?

Madgun

Ka-50 vs Apache what do you prefer?   

275 members have voted

1. 1. Ka-50 vs Apache what do you prefer?

• Kamov Ka-50
    • Boeing Apache AH-64D

For now, Ka-50 for sure.  Transitioning from forward flight to a hover is cake in the coaxial Black Shark.  Transitioning to a hover in the Apache is an absolute battle to not simply fall out of the sky. We’ll see how that changes once we get the other trim modes implemented.

Plus the Black Shark is sleek and better looking imo.  Doesn’t have fixed landing gear or chin mounted cannon tumors sticking out of it.

• Like 7

The apache is awesome however, I find the ka50 to actually be quite a lot more effective on most day time missions, in single-player that is. 

Things I miss in the ah64 is not having as good of a gun as the ka, not feeling as nimble and as powerful as the ka, and not having any contrast lock (is the apache supposed to have this too?). 

Overall, that and the simplicity of the systems coupled with that fact that the ka50 is a single seat helo, make it more effective for me in practice. 

However that doesn't mean I'm not having fun in the apache, I freaking love flying that bird in combat, I especially like the mws system. 

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

2 minutes ago, Sobakopes said:

What's the point in a ka50 when we should have ka52 instead. 

I actually prefer single seat aircrafts in DCS, as I dont do multiplayer and the AI copilot is never really good …. So, the Ka-50 works better for me.

• Like 12

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

16 minutes ago, notproplayer3 said:

not feeling as nimble and as powerful as the ka, and not having any contrast lock (is the apache supposed to have this too?)

I think the Apache is a lot more agile than the default controls make it feel. Now that I'm comfortable with my setup, I can really throw it around pretty good. Lots of fun.

Yeah, the Apache has other "lock" or "track" modes on the TADS that aren't implemented yet.

30 minutes ago, Sobakopes said:

What's the point in a ka50 when we should have ka52 instead. 

What's the point in a Ka-52 when one person is enough to operate the thing?

For me it's still the Black Shark, but mainly because I know how to use it. Still very far from being confident in the AH-64, and I haven't even fired a shot with it yet.

• Like 6

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jester2138 said:

I think the Apache is a lot more agile than the default controls make it feel. Now that I'm comfortable with my setup, I can really throw it around pretty good. Lots of fun.

Yeah, the Apache has other "lock" or "track" modes on the TADS that aren't implemented yet.

Don't get me wrong, the apache feels perfect the way it is and I am also very happy about how it handles well, I just personally feel like the ka50 has the edge in tight maneuvers and in power too, mainly at high altitude with heavier loads, you can feel the apache has trouble hovering and taking off but the ka50 still handles like a dream. But handling is partly subjective anyway. 

Cool to know for the lock modes, I am having quite the trouble hitting moving vehicles with the agm atm.

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

I myself have not progressed far enough in my learning of the Apache to give a good comparison to the KA-50. My initial impression is yeah the KA-50 is easier to handle. Been a while since I have flown it though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 minutes ago, Malakhit said:

Not sure if you're expecting it to change or not, but I don't think it's likely to - an SME would surely have noticed if it were inaccurate. 🙂

For me, I'm going to have to go with the Hind over either. The Apache and Ka-50 are undoubtedly more capable but I feel like I'm having more fun with the "analog" Hind versus the "digital" Apache and Hokum.

I'm not expecting it to change except the trim reset which will help, I have no trouble flying it or hovering it but to me it acts very strange in some flight aspects and can suddenly kill you by falling out of the sky>

Still love having it, once MP dysnc is fixed and I can fly MP singularly from the front it will add another 50% more fun and feel like a good purchase.

• Like 1

I clicked on Apache, but Ka-50 is my first love. 😄

I love Ka-50's autopilot, route and hover modes, and I love Vihkrs. Very easy to operate. Only one problem is that it's very easy to burn the laser system.

Apache is another love for all of us. We've waited for it for years, and almost 13 years. Finally we get it. Probably I will not play any other modules a few years. 🙂

• Like 6

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I will continue with flying  Hornet campaigns off the Super Carrier but will be doing much more with the Apache for now with my training. I see myself getting good use out of both for quite some time. Who knows I may get motivated to get back to flying the KA-50 some as well. But yeah I have been waiting since Janes Longbow I and II for this Apache. I will get good use out of it if it kills me in learning it.

Thankfully I am retired which helps. 

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

I'm biased to the Apache, but I've had 13 years of solid fun with the DCS Black Shark, and I'll definitely be getting Black Shark 3.  Both aircraft have their own attractiveness and unique features.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

If we're talking about effectiveness, then it's not even remotely close. The Ka-50 is an overwhelmingly superior machine to the AH-64 as it currently exists in game. There is no situation in which the AH-64 would be preferable save for 1, I've been flying the Ka-50 since 2008 and need a change. As the AH-64 gets more complete, my opinion may change. With that said, I don't fly the Ka-50 much these days. It's just a little too easy to dominate ground forces and other choppers with it. At the moment I'm mostly playing with the Hind.

• Like 4

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.