Ka-50 vs Apache what do you prefer?

Madgun

Ka-50 vs Apache what do you prefer?   

275 members have voted

1. 1. Ka-50 vs Apache what do you prefer?

• Kamov Ka-50
    • Boeing Apache AH-64D

Just now, Hobel said:

Ah okay. But now he comes again

Eventualy 🙂

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

I think as George is refined and enhanced and gains the ability to actively seek and report threats the advantages of the dual-seat configuration in the Apache will become apparent.  The KA-50 is airwolf to me but... my SA suffers immensely when I am fixating on the SHKVAL trying to find and engage targets.  The extra eyes in the front seat frees me up in the back seat to pay better attention the environment and potential air threats or other situations that may arise.

3 hours ago, kotor633 said:

I find typing on the MFDs too cumbersome.

I took the madman route and bound my entire keyboard to the apache keyboard as the pilot. It's pretty handy, and as pilot, you don't really need the keyboard for controls, HOTAS is enough.

I like the Ka-50. It's a really cool aircraft.

64 all day long though. Every day. Twice on Saturdays. 

edit: Part of this is simply aesthetics. I MUCH prefer the two front wheels, one tail wheel helo design to the two rear wheel, one front wheel design. But also the aircraft is more effective at its job. And night ops. 

Edited by S. Low

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

50/50 at the moment, I like the Apache to fly and it carries 16 Hellfires which is awesome, but its easier to hover in the KA and lock targets, and you get to do it all yourself....  I know George does this for you in the Apache but I like using the tads to find and lock a target myself rather than just pointing George in a directly and he does it all for you.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:04 PM, Coole28 said:

Doesn’t have fixed landing gear or chin mounted cannon tumors sticking out of it.

I like Apache fixed undercarriage, you can bang the ground when NOE without consequences.

I like how fixed undercarriage looks, Apache or Mi-28, like a heavy duty machine.

Both Apache and Ka-50 are lot of fun. Sometimes I'm wondering Ka-50 FM, which was created many years ago, may be a bit too optimistic when it comes to stability in autopilot modes, even considering double rotor configuration, but who knows.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed this thread.

KA-50 is easy to learn. AH 64 is a bit hard and difficult to control but with practice, it will be easier. In the long run, 64 has more features Radar, FLIR, Night ops etc. I like all the choppers in the DCS. The only chopper I don't like is Gazelle due to its flight model.

For me, Ka-50 is like I am wheeling on a sports bike, while Apache is like I am learning to cycle 🙂

Edited by sniperwolfpk5
  • Like 1

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

• 2 months later...

I do not get it... why ED limit us to use only the pilot seat in [a multi-crew module] Multiplayer when you don't have a friend to fly with you. For me, it's more OP to use George/Petrovitch/Jester as gunner that you being in the gunner seat looking for targets.

I like the AH-64 a lot, but... I can't wait to fly the Ka-50 III

Edited by ofcross

AH-64D is more in-depth Sim then KA-50. That is without a doubt. KA-50 is mainly a daylight VFR platform for combat. It's sensor and targeting are effective , but far lower the ApacheD. They are lower then Apache A. As DCS Apache does not feature AGM-65  as a munition, even though Apache has ability to carry it , according to all knowing Wiki. DCS KA-50 can carry more punch with larger KH  air-ground / surface missile. A single ship KA-50 can neutralize two Molnya Tarantul  missile corvettes. It takes two Vikhrs missiles , fired as a pair salvo to destroy an MBT. If M1A2 , LeClerq , Challenger 2, Leopard 2, take a single Vikhr hit, they still fight and still a threat . I have yet to advance to weapons in my Apache self training, but YT videos show players taking out T-80, T-72 , and T-90 with single 114K Helfire. Without Vikhrs KA-50 is essentially a close-in gun and rocket strafe platform. A rotary IL-2. Which is fun,provided there are no or minimal threats. At high near Vne speed, around 150 knots(285-290 KPH), it is vital that post engagement breaking turn be to the left and with low collective. Otherwise you risk rotor disk intersection.  Even in level high speed flight, rotor disks come awfully close to each other. If you exceed Vne , you may get overspeed warning for 1-3 seconds before your rotor mast comes apart. Otherwise KA-50 is far simpler and far quicker to learn then Apache. 

• Like 1

• ED Team

AGM-65s have never been capable of being fired from AH-64s. Never.

Wikipedia says a lot of things that are downright laughable and probably written on there by someone that played too much Gunship 2000 on an arcade console.

• Like 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

AH-64D is more in-depth Sim then KA-50. That is without a doubt. KA-50 is mainly a daylight VFR platform for combat. It's sensor and targeting are effective , but far lower the ApacheD. They are lower then Apache A.

Not sure what the technology level of the aircraft has to do with the depth of simulation… The F-15C has fancy AMRAAMs but the WWII Spitfire is definitely simulated in more detail.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I truly Love both but the ease of which I can input new waypoints, targets, etc. into the Apache gives it the edge for me, it's extremely lethal when you get your head around it and use it correctly.

The Blacksharks waypoint system has always been a Pain in the ass for me to get my head around and I've jut never felt comfortable using it and it takes a lot of work to input information.

That said I do love being in complete control all of the systems  from one seat, it's a great aircraft.

Really it's a win win, both are awesome fun.

• Like 2

Intel Core i9 10850K@ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB 3600MHz CL16, MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus Motherboard

HP Reverb G2, Winwing Super Libra w/ x F-16EX, Super Taurus, KA-50 Collective, Combat & Take off Panels, StreamDeck XL, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals

On 6/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

As DCS Apache does not feature AGM-65  as a munition, even though Apache has ability to carry it , according to all knowing Wiki. 

And here i stop reading...

• Like 3

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

THE trolliest thread topic, in a forum rotten with trolls.  Bravo, sir... bravo.  I'm curious though; did you know that every self appointed civilian expert on military engineering would show up to wax poetic... or was that just surprise gravy on top?  Anyway, I love your work.  People of your caliber have made this forum what it is today.  Stay scummy! 

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

On 6/29/2022 at 8:32 PM, Talon441 said:

So far I love the KA-50 and prefer the solo flight. But so far I'm starting to have alot of trouble with it ranging from tutorial problems to it not flying correctly. Once that's fixed it'll be perfect.

that module is 10 years old, at least. I'm pretty sure they have stopped working on it. If its not flying correctly its you 🙂

• Like 1

To me the Apache is everything I wanted from an attack helicopter, it is more than I imagined it to be.... far far more than my limited imagination could have imagined!

How it integrates information not only between the co-pilot (George) and pilot, but for the wider combat arena and supporting assets is simply fabulous!

Put simply, I have a good imagination of how a good attack chopper should behave and do things, but never would I imagine the finer details that the real life designers put into this airframe over 20 or 30 years of development.. fabulous job on the AH-64D ED!!!..... just fabulous!

Whilst flying the Apache, Would I like to meet a KA-50 BS2 in a dark shadowed valley?.... No... I hope not, especially if the KA-50 pilot knows the power of the pedals.... no, I would rather avoid them!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

This afternoon I flew another mission in my liberation campaign, CAS which I usually take the hog or the Ka50 for but this time due to costs and availability I took the Apache. 

I started it up and did exactly these things: 

- loaded 16x Hellfire

- set QNH just to find me using radio altitude. 
- boresight the IHADSS

- set my right MFD or whatever they call it in the Apache to VID TADS and the left one to my weapons

- started and took off. 

I told George to look there and gave him weapons free and flew around at 50is knots. He rippled out half the ordenance within a minute or so, I did absolutely nothing. 

the reds were decimised, so George decided to start shooting into the other direction. When the first Abrams fell I pointed that brother killer in the front back to the bad guys, he killed another 2 or 3 BTR‘s or BMP‘s then he did a last shot that killed a Zu23.

All these tanks and AAA were hidden in or next to forest and trees or bushes, I or another human CPG would never have found them without getting way into enemy fire range and/or following tracers back. 

In a single player environment this helicopter is one of the most boring modules I purchased, no point in flying it in a combat mission at all. You don‘t use the gun against a Shilka and with the Hellfires in LOBL you are already basically in its range anyway so you can just spray around some bullets as well, just for the action. 

ATM and in single player it‘s a completely pointless module. It‘s certainly different with a human CPG without super powers but a brain with a naturally built in IFF. 

in comparison I did a Ka50 flight on one of my squadron‘s servers with a persistent campaign running. I planned my flight across the countryside in the ABRIS, typed in the final target coordinates and paced through the valleys to avoid the Migs above. On my way there I shot down two Hinds, one with a Vikhr and one with the gun, then sneeked in on an SA-2 site with Zu23 and SA15 protection, searched the Tor hidden behind the trees, once a clear line I fired a first Vikhr through the forest, then popped up quickly in autohover for the AAA, then used the gun for precision HE sniper shots at the Sa2 missiles and supporting trucks. Mission complete, fully myself and with a lot of fun… 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Let‘s give the Apache another 3 years and a competent human CPG.. 

• Like 2