How to Remove TADS on the IHADSS?

609_Relentov
Go to solution Solved by Floydii,

Is there a way to tone down the bright green TADS overlay on the IHADSS when you set the sight select switch on the right grip in the CP/G cockpit to TADS?  Seems there is a brightness control in the pilot cockpit, but I didn't see anything like that in the CP/G cockpit, or I just missed it.

Thanks.

• Solution

Removing the TADS overlay from the CPG view, A guide:

1. select 'PLT NVS Swith mode - Norm' (you should see 'FLIR' in the top left of the HMD).

2. Use the 'BRT' rocker on the right of the TDU (centre display in the Gunner's seat) cycle it down to reduce the HMD TADS overlay brightness to 0

3. Switch 'PLT NVS Switch mode - Off'

4. you should now not have the TAD overlay on your HMD.

Enjoy.

Edited by Floydii
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 19

These "workarounds" show the missunderstanding of "sight" and "acquisition source"

on TEDAC RIGHT HANDGRIP you got the SIGHT SELECTOR switch.

It tells the aircraft what "sight" you want to use to look at something. (See my profile picture: I could get the aimpoint off that rifle and use the iron sight😄)

Switch it to HMD and you wont see the TADS overlay in the IHADSS.

If you use the PLT NVS, it switches to the "night navigation" IHADS symbology, the pilot uses to navigate NOE in darkness.

When sight is set to TADS and your ACQ is set to GHS, you tell the apache that you want to see the TADS, but your HEAD will give the direction where to look.

Only works after pressing the slave button. It always gets the TADS to the selected ACQ. When the TADS is not slaved to your HEAD, but sight TADS is selected, you see the overlay, but can move the TADS with the "thumb force controller" (TADS slew) on the right handgrip, as you would do using the TEDAC display in the middle.

Having the TADS (FLIR or DTV) on your IHADSS in daytime is like having a FLIR telescope on your right eye what would not shrink your field of view.

It's is absolutely incredible what this machine is capable off and it is so freaky fu***ng cool we finally got it!😍

Sounds a little to wise? In fact I had the same question yesterday. While messing around with it, I think I finally understood this army "sight and acquisition source" thing.

EDIT: just read the first post again. If you want to tune the picture, you use the same controls as you do using the TEDAC display. Selecting sight "TADS" but tune it down completely simply does not make sense, if you think about it. You tell the aircraft you want to see and aim with the TADS but make it invisible!

Like trying to aim that rifle without any sight on it!

Edited by Niehorst
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

55 минут назад, Shanks сказал:

I think turning down the level knob on the top left screen is the way to do it, saw it in a Casmo or wags video.

Thanks, I've already found everything myself. I'm just really tired. I sat in the helicopter for 14 hours, my thoughts are confused)

For a very long time I could not figure out how to adjust the buttons on the joystick for two cabins more conveniently.

GreyCat_SPb

I’m still trying to figure the procedures for the CP/G and using the IHADSS, TADS, etc.  I asked the original question because the only way I was able to slew the TADS cross-hairs was when I set the sight select switch to TADS (which had the overlay on the IHADSS as described). If I set the SSS to HMD, it wouldn’t slew.

I would just deal with the overlay until I de-slaved after setting the acquisition source to the GHS and looking at the target.  Then I would just turn off IHADSS while I looked at the TADS display and made the adjustments to put the cross-hairs on target.  So I just wanted to turn down the overlay so I could see the target in the IHADSS :).

I still have a ways to go, so I’m sure I’m not using all the controls right just yet :).

29 minutes ago, Niehorst said:

These "workarounds" show the missunderstanding of "sight" and "acquisition source"

No, it doesn't do that at all.

The OP asked how to turn down the TADS overlay on the IHADSS, and I explained how this is technically done.

Your point that you can use the TADS overlay while slaved to GHS  is valid, but is clearly isn't the only way to use it (otherwise there would be no option to alter the brightness).  dimming out the overlay is as much of a 'work around' as you choosing to use the left MPD to show the TSD when it defaults to the right MPD.

The option to hide the TADS overlay on the Gunner's monocle while the TADS is slaved to GHS, during daytime particularly, allows an uninterrupted view while still allowing the gunner to quickly drop the TADs onto a target they acquired while visually scanning. It also allows the gunner to look around while the TADS is not slaved without the visual competition of the scene outside the cockpit and the (different) TADS overlay - while still maintaining IHADDS symbology.

• Like 9

Check, but I think it's still a workaround because of the following fact:

One crew member observes the near surrounding (normally the pilot) with the IHADDS

The CP/G uses the TADS (on TEDAC display or IHADDS). So the CP/G can quickly throw the TADS on the pilots PHS by selecting it as ACQ.

So we are trying to do a task designed for two crew member as one crew member, by using the IHADDS, let the TADS follow, but not be visible.

Perhaps we need Casmo here to get it right finally! 🧐

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

I usually use the PLT NVS switch method during daytime, it's not likely the pilot will use the PNVS for navigation anyway. That way, with the TADs out of my way in the CPG HDU, I can use the HDU for targeting the gun or what have you.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• Wags changed the title to How to Remove TADS on the IHADSS?
  • Wags pinned this topic

I’ve been wondering how to do this as well.

I’ll have to try it.

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

I don't even understand why it shows up on the monocle at all when you have the NVS mode switch set to off. Not being able to easily switch it off without losing the rest of the IHADSS symbology seems really clunky. I'm surprised this is how it works.

• Like 8

Because it allows you stay heads out and easily direct the TADS when it's your selected sight by setting your ACQ to GHS and pressing the SLAVE button. Also, in the real aircraft you can lower a smoked visor to improve the visibility of the HDU. It's not a bug, it's working exactly as intended. If you don't want it in your eye, you rotate it out of your eye and use the TEDAC.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bradmick said:

Because it allows you stay heads out and easily direct the TADS when it's your selected sight by setting your ACQ to GHS and pressing the SLAVE button. Also, in the real aircraft you can lower a smoked visor to improve the visibility of the HDU. It's not a bug, it's working exactly as intended. If you don't want it in your eye, you rotate it out of your eye and use the TEDAC.

Not talking about removing IHADS completely, just the TADS overlay. 

• Like 2

That’s what I mean, it’s there so you can also see the target in the HDU. At night I only use the HDU and turn the TEDAC off entirely, both in sim and real world. I’m 50/50 day time between hdu and tedac, depends on the sun angle.

Edited by bradmick

9 hours ago, bradmick said:

Heh.  That visor would be nice. 

I catch myself just looking straight up into a hopefully clear blue sky for the back ground.

Also, I use TrackIr  and there is a spot I can look up and right and center my TrackIr, then when I turn forward again the view is point down and left with the kevlar side protector as my background.  When I'm done jsut tap center again and I'm looking forward.

Or look down at the empty seat cushion.

I've also gotten good at just removing the IHADD and just putting what I want into my center of view and slave and generally gets close enough to put it in somewhere in view on TADS wide field.

But I've also just gotten more used to it and the brain eventually learns to untangle it.

Edited by [16AGR] CptTrips

I've made a handy Macro for targetting with the IHADSS/TADS.  Obviously depends on your keybindings, but I toggle it on and off with:

Left MPD to weapons, then the aq button, then GHS as source, then eye piece down and finally slave so it looks around with my head.

On the toggle it's:

deslave, MPD weapons button (to make sure I'm on the right page) - , eye piece off, weapons page, aquisition button back to the WP/Target point that it would have been originally.

All in just over half a second.

My next will be the same, but to hook to the pilot sight.   

Edited by MrReynolds
  • Like 1

Just spent a couple hours playing with the CPG seat while George flew me around the target range mission.

My solution to this is to bind a button on my throttle base to "show/hide" IHADSS.  If I am using the TADS as a sight during the day, I hide the IHADS.  When I want to use the IHADSS as a sight, i unhide it and select it as a sight.  Haven't played with it at night, but i suspect that using the TADS either in NVS Norm mode, or set as a sight slaved to the CPG HMD, is very convenient to have it in the monocle.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, Floydii said:

Removing the TADS overlay from the CPG view, A guide:

1. select 'PLT NVS Swith mode - Norm' (you should see 'FLIR' in the top left of the HMD).

2. Use the 'BRT' rocker on the right of the TDU (centre display in the Gunner's seat) cycle it down to reduce the HMD TADS overlay brightness to 0

3. Switch 'PLT NVS Switch mode - Off'

4. you should now not have the TAD overlay on your HMD.

Enjoy.

Removing the TADS overlay from the CPG view, A BETTER GUIDE.

pressit.png

• Thanks 1

Turning on NVS, dimming the TADS, and turning the NVS off does nothing but... Turn down the TADS brightness while you fiddle with a completely unrelated switch.  The two have nothing to do with each other and are completely different sensors.

Then, if you actually NEED your TADS on your IHADSS you'll hit the button and then wonder...

'Why can't I get my TADS on my IHADSS?"

Because you left it on and dimmed it to 0 so you can see the TADS symbology but not the video feed.

Just do it right.  If you don't want TADS or NVS on your IHADSS, don't turn it on. 

If it's on and you don't want it on, turn it off.

If it's day and you don't need the TADS on your IHADSS, take off your IHADSS and use the TEDAC.

My gosh, people.

Edited by Grizzley78
  • Like 3