How to Remove TADS on the IHADSS?

609_Relentov
Go to solution Solved by Floydii,

The reason I asked in the first place is that I couldn't slew the crosshairs on the TEDAC unless I set the selected sight to TADS, which brought up the overlay.   Of course, once I hit the slave button to de-slave, I could just turn off the IHADSS and work with the TEDAC (which I would also do).  However, if I wanted to use the IHADSS again to look at a different area, that's where the TADS overlay was a pain, as I had to fight through that green layer to see stuff with the naked eye.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 609_Relentov said:

The reason I asked in the first place is that I couldn't slew the crosshairs on the TEDAC unless I set the selected sight to TADS, which brought up the overlay.   Of course, once I hit the slave button to de-slave, I could just turn off the IHADSS and work with the TEDAC (which I would also do).  However, if I wanted to use the IHADSS again to look at a different area, that's where the TADS overlay was a pain, as I had to fight through that green layer to see stuff with the naked eye.

Yep I can understand that.  It seems a little odd to me that you'd swap back to IHADSS to slew the TADS to a different area when that's what the thumb force button already does.  Just back out to a wide angle and then slew, but hey, if it works for you and you blow stuff up then that's perfect.  Though it's confusing to me because every time you want to swap back to the IHADSS to look around you have to fiddle with the brightness again, because it controls both the IHADSS and the TEDAC brightness.  So you look at what you want, then have to bring the brightness back up on your TEDAC to see.  Sorry, I guess it just confuses me and seems like a really convoluted and unnecessary way of doing it.  It seems far more efficient to pick the one that's right for the situation, and stick with it. 

Edited by Grizzley78

15 hours ago, Grizzley78 said:

Removing the TADS overlay from the CPG view, A BETTER GUIDE.

pressit.png

It removes the TADS overlay alright but it also stops you from you being able to slew the TADS around. So....?

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

17 hours ago, Grizzley78 said:

Turning on NVS, dimming the TADS, and turning the NVS off does nothing but... Turn down the TADS brightness while you fiddle with a completely unrelated switch.  The two have nothing to do with each other and are completely different sensors.

Then, if you actually NEED your TADS on your IHADSS you'll hit the button and then wonder...

'Why can't I get my TADS on my IHADSS?"

Because you left it on and dimmed it to 0 so you can see the TADS symbology but not the video feed.

Just do it right.  If you don't want TADS or NVS on your IHADSS, don't turn it on. 

If it's on and you don't want it on, turn it off.

If it's day and you don't need the TADS on your IHADSS, take off your IHADSS and use the TEDAC.

My gosh, people.

Lol, cool story.

The process works to remove the video from the HMD for the CPG. The reason you might want to do this is during the daytime when the TADS image isn't really usable and you want to be able to sight select TADS while slaved to GHS to drop the TADS onto opportune targets. At night, it's a different story, but the option is there.

4 hours ago, cavalier889 said:

Umm....

Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't get it. The TEDAC RHG Sight Select Switch has no "push" since it's just a 4 way hat. Push it what direction with what effect? Clarify please...

I'm not sure what he's on about either.

• Like 2

In the daytime, my preferred method is to just

turn down the video brightness on the HDU

1. Select HMD as sight, so that the brightness rocker controls the HMD video brightness and not the TEDAC display
2. TEDAC BRT down a few times
3. TADS as sight
4. (ACQ -> GHS)

That way you can still look around and slave to your view, but also not be having trouble seeing through the green image. Unfortunately I don't have VR so I can't just ignore it. Of course this also disables NVS overlay. So either you have to add the brightness back, use NVG or deal with the video or use another method.

Alternative ways

HDU off when using TADS

Sure that works, but then you can't precisely slave to your head, only the rough area. You also have to bind an extra button to your hotas or take your hands off to find the I key on your keyboard. Of course you can just select wide FOV and use the slew controls, but that's slow, imprecise and you don't know exactly where the TADS is looking and it's just awkward.

Select HMD

Sure it gets rid of the video, but no TADS control, in particular no slaving to head either.

Turn TADS intensity (LVL) to 0

Advertised by Mr Wagner himself, the most useless option. Because it just turns the TEDAC screen AND the video overlay off. HMD as sight is faster and you get at least something useful. On the bright side, you get to slew your TADS around blindly.

I think that's all the ways to get the video to disappear aside from shutting down the TADS completely (WPN -> UTIL -> TADS).

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, Grizzley78 said:

Turning on NVS, dimming the TADS, and turning the NVS off does nothing but... Turn down the TADS brightness while you fiddle with a completely unrelated switch.  The two have nothing to do with each other and are completely different sensors.

Then, if you actually NEED your TADS on your IHADSS you'll hit the button and then wonder...

'Why can't I get my TADS on my IHADSS?"

Because you left it on and dimmed it to 0 so you can see the TADS symbology but not the video feed.

Just do it right.  If you don't want TADS or NVS on your IHADSS, don't turn it on. 

If it's on and you don't want it on, turn it off.

If it's day and you don't need the TADS on your IHADSS, take off your IHADSS and use the TEDAC.

My gosh, people.

To be fair I've started missions with it on and at that point I had no experience with it and had no idea how to turn it off or even on. 🙂

Edited by pii

On 3/27/2022 at 8:11 PM, MrReynolds said:

I've made a handy Macro for targetting with the IHADSS/TADS.  Obviously depends on your keybindings, but I toggle it on and off with:

Left MPD to weapons, then the aq button, then GHS as source, then eye piece down and finally slave so it looks around with my head.

On the toggle it's:

deslave, MPD weapons button (to make sure I'm on the right page) - , eye piece off, weapons page, aquisition button back to the WP/Target point that it would have been originally.

Can someone explain how make such a macro? I can't figure it out from the above. Do I need an extra software/addon to be able to push the relevant button to achieve the results discussed above?

13 hours ago, Fabou78 said:

Can someone explain how make such a macro? I can't figure it out from the above. Do I need an extra software/addon to be able to push the relevant button to achieve the results discussed above?

I use a very simple AutoHotKey script to switch between gunner and pilot sights as acquisition sources, when I play as a gunner.

+ represents the Shift key, 6 and 1 are the R6 and R1 buttons on the right MPD, where I keep the TDS display.

;up PHS
3Joy6 ::Send +{6}+{1}

;down GHS
3Joy8 ::Send +{6}+{2}

It's just about which string of keyboard buttons will particular joystic button "press", when you press it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On 3/27/2022 at 8:42 PM, Grizzley78 said:

Removing the TADS overlay from the CPG view, A BETTER GUIDE.

pressit.png

This should be the right way to toggle sights including FCR and Link in the future.  Ihadss can be switched back and forth from TADS and HMD while TEDAC remains on the TADS display that was acquired by GHS before switching. 

On 3/29/2022 at 5:16 PM, FalcoGer said:

In the daytime, my preferred method is to just

turn down the video brightness on the HDU

1. Select HMD as sight, so that the brightness rocker controls the HMD video brightness and not the TEDAC display
2. TEDAC BRT down a few times
3. TADS as sight
4. (ACQ -> GHS)

That way you can still look around and slave to your view, but also not be having trouble seeing through the green image. Unfortunately I don't have VR so I can't just ignore it. Of course this also disables NVS overlay. So either you have to add the brightness back, use NVG or deal with the video or use another method.

Alternative ways

HDU off when using TADS

Sure that works, but then you can't precisely slave to your head, only the rough area. You also have to bind an extra button to your hotas or take your hands off to find the I key on your keyboard. Of course you can just select wide FOV and use the slew controls, but that's slow, imprecise and you don't know exactly where the TADS is looking and it's just awkward.

Select HMD

Sure it gets rid of the video, but no TADS control, in particular no slaving to head either.

Turn TADS intensity (LVL) to 0

Advertised by Mr Wagner himself, the most useless option. Because it just turns the TEDAC screen AND the video overlay off. HMD as sight is faster and you get at least something useful. On the bright side, you get to slew your TADS around blindly.

I think that's all the ways to get the video to disappear aside from shutting down the TADS completely (WPN -> UTIL -> TADS).

After a bit of tweaking, this is how I use it now:

Look for targets out the window using HMD as sight with a spyglass zoom help.

Once targets are located, switch to TADS as sight, so you see its image in the helmet.

Set you HMD as ACQ source (GHS). This is where the key script comes in super handy. Set GHS as ACQ source without removing your view from the target and clicking around cockpit. I have this mapped to the joystick hat also for George AI. When it's not active for AI, it can still be useful.

Slave TADS to where you're looking, bringing it straight onto targets. Deslave. Use the thumb controller to fine-tune the aim.

Lase, store, attack. You can keep looking at the helmet image or turn it off and look down onto the TDU.

The whole thing from spotting the target to firing takes just a few seconds.

The point is, do not use TADS to search for targets. Only move it around once you know where the targets are, to lase and store them. I find this way much faster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can try my mod : https://forum.dcs.world/topic/207154-3dmigoto-vr-mod-for-dcs-label-masking-color-enhancement-sharpen-fxaa-copypaste-of-radio-msg

pressing CTRL + i in game will toggle off/on the TADS mirroring (and also the PNVS...).

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 4/4/2022 at 11:05 PM, PlainSight said:

I use a very simple AutoHotKey script to switch between gunner and pilot sights as acquisition sources, when I play as a gunner.

+ represents the Shift key, 6 and 1 are the R6 and R1 buttons on the right MPD, where I keep the TDS display.

;up PHS
3Joy6 ::Send +{6}+{1}

;down GHS
3Joy8 ::Send +{6}+{2}

It's just about which string of keyboard buttons will particular joystic button "press", when you press it.

Thanks for your tips @PlainSight I am playing with a afterglow (nitendo switch) controller when CPG so I will read up AutoHotKey documentation and see if I can apply your trick to my controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Using ACQ GHS with TADS on, in bright daylight allows you to look(!) at a potential target as the CP/G and slave the TADS to your (CP/G) LOS. The second TADS display on the IHADSS is simply in the way, if zoomed in, even a total distraction, and if not slaved at the moment even more so!

To be able to point the TADS to a location with your HMD without the TADS being shown in the IHADSS would help immensely to acquire a potential target area, and if you flip the IHADSS away, you won't have the HMD reticle to aim at the area, won't see the waypoint marker, etc.

So the whole idea is to have SIGHT to TADS and ACQ source to GHS, while displaying the TADS image only on the TDU... If there is a way to do that, let me know. 

It seems there is no way to dial down the FLIR image on the IHADSS only in the CP/G seat... As for the argument with "when you need the TADS on the IHADSS", that would be at night, and "night" does not just "happen". You have the whole dusk to dial the TADS brightness and contrast back to what works best. Actually I am pretty sure you will adjust the settings multiple time during the transition from day to dusk to night.

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Am 27.3.2022 um 21:11 schrieb MrReynolds:

I've made a handy Macro for targetting with the IHADSS/TADS.  Obviously depends on your keybindings, but I toggle it on and off with:

Left MPD to weapons, then the aq button, then GHS as source, then eye piece down and finally slave so it looks around with my head.

On the toggle it's:

deslave, MPD weapons button (to make sure I'm on the right page) - , eye piece off, weapons page, aquisition button back to the WP/Target point that it would have been originally.

All in just over half a second.

My next will be the same, but to hook to the pilot sight.   

Cheater... 😉

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Am 6.4.2022 um 18:49 schrieb Archer_111:

This should be the right way to toggle sights including FCR and Link in the future.  Ihadss can be switched back and forth from TADS and HMD while TEDAC remains on the TADS display that was acquired by GHS before switching. 

So you select HMD look where the WP marker is, find the target area with eyeball mark one from that reference in about 3-5 seconds and switch the sight back to TADS which shows on the IHADSS now, is still max zoomed in, showing something different and blocks your view, then ACQ source to GHS (, can't do that before, as you need TADS selected as sight to have the GHS option and it reverts to FXD everytime you deselect TADS as sight). Now you slave, reacquire the target area visually, fighting with the zoomed in FLIR image in the IHADSS, deslave, flip the IHADDS aside and look at the TEDAC Display...

So why is this the "correct" procedure, again? Sounds horribly complex and not very practical, compared to: Select TADS as sight, ACQ source as GHS and switch the TADS image in the IHADSS off. Now, simply look at something with the HMD symbology in place, slave and de-slave, look down at the TEDAC and fine tune, zoom and search for targets as you wish. If necessary look up quickly at another area, press slave, de-slave and back to the TEDAC without the FLIR image ever getting in the way... 

• Like 1

Shagrat

• ED Team

Regardless of the time of day, ideally the best way to use GHS to cue the TADS to a target is to bring it to Wide or Medium FOV in FLIR (or just Wide FOV in DTV), and then place the crosshairs on target. In FLIR using Wide FOV with the TADS slaved to the ACQ GHS, the behavior is identical to using the TADS in NVS NORM, with the exception of weapons symbology being displayed instead of flight symbology.  You can now target without obstructions such as the cockpit or canopy rails interfering with line-of-sight.  Crews routinely use NVS NORM during daylight hours to "see through" their cockpit using the PNVS or TADS, despite it being labeled Night Vision System.

As for real-world applications of having the TADS sensor video always displayed on the HDU in such a manner when sight-selected to TADS, the idea is that you can continue to target and engage with your right eye while using your left, unaided eye to interact with cockpit controls/displays, look at your kneeboard packet, or even look outside and compare the two visual sources.

As an alternative, you can simply turn off the TDU display and look down at the dark, blank screen as a black backdrop while using your HDU for TADS targeting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 4/28/2022 at 11:44 PM, shagrat said:

Using ACQ GHS with TADS on, in bright daylight allows you to look(!) at a potential target as the CP/G and slave the TADS to your (CP/G) LOS. The second TADS display on the IHADSS is simply in the way, if zoomed in, even a total distraction, and if not slaved at the moment even more so!

To be able to point the TADS to a location with your HMD without the TADS being shown in the IHADSS would help immensely to acquire a potential target area, and if you flip the IHADSS away, you won't have the HMD reticle to aim at the area, won't see the waypoint marker, etc.

So the whole idea is to have SIGHT to TADS and ACQ source to GHS, while displaying the TADS image only on the TDU... If there is a way to do that, let me know. 

It seems there is no way to dial down the FLIR image on the IHADSS only in the CP/G seat... As for the argument with "when you need the TADS on the IHADSS", that would be at night, and "night" does not just "happen". You have the whole dusk to dial the TADS brightness and contrast back to what works best. Actually I am pretty sure you will adjust the settings multiple time during the transition from day to dusk to night.

Uh, unless I'm grossly misreading you here, post #4 of this thread details exactly how to get what you're after.

• Like 1

Am 28.4.2022 um 19:21 schrieb Raptor9:

Regardless of the time of day, ideally the best way to use GHS to cue the TADS to a target is to bring it to Wide or Medium FOV in FLIR (or just Wide FOV in DTV), and then place the crosshairs on target. In FLIR using Wide FOV with the TADS slaved to the ACQ GHS, the behavior is identical to using the TADS in NVS NORM, with the exception of weapons symbology being displayed instead of flight symbology.  You can now target without obstructions such as the cockpit or canopy rails interfering with line-of-sight.  Crews routinely use NVS NORM during daylight hours to "see through" their cockpit using the PNVS or TADS, despite it being labeled Night Vision System.

As for real-world applications of having the TADS sensor video always displayed on the HDU in such a manner when sight-selected to TADS, the idea is that you can continue to target and engage with your right eye while using your left, unaided eye to interact with cockpit controls/displays, look at your kneeboard packet, or even look outside and compare the two visual sources.

As an alternative, you can simply turn off the TDU display and look down at the dark, blank screen as a black backdrop while using your HDU for TADS targeting.

Thanks that was the missing piece! You need to have the HMD selected and NVS on to have the rockers change the FLIR. I was trying with TADS selected as sight and it did affect both the TDU and the HDU.

So HMD must be the selected sight for the TEDAC rockers for brightness and contrast to affect the HDU.

Shagrat

OMG I have been struggling with this since I moved to the front seat over the weekend! I read this entire thread, and will have to read it again, one particular thing I haven't figured out and is not mentioned here is why does the TADS "TV" project as green on the HMD during the day? The rest of this,, wow! I guess I will get there in time,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 5 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, Floydii said:
Removing the TADS overlay from the CPG view, A guide:
1. select 'PLT NVS Swith mode - Norm' (you should see 'FLIR' in the top left of the HMD).
2. Use the 'BRT' rocker on the right of the TDU (centre display in the Gunner's seat) cycle it down to reduce the HMD TADS overlay brightness to 0
3. Switch 'PLT NVS Switch mode - Off'
4. you should now not have the TAD overlay on your HMD.
Enjoy.

Yeah tried it too. So it seems the only way to turn down the TADS image in the CPG IHADSS and not in the TEDAC is via the NVS (NORM or FIXED) mode using just the TEDAC BRT rocker. (Using the CON rocker only will leave some of the TADS image still visible when NVS is OFF.)

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

• 3 months later...
Am 31.1.2023 um 17:18 schrieb speckfire:

Just hit "I" on they keyboard. Why the complication?

Because it is nice to have the symbology, especially the gun-cross, to point the "line-of-sight" with your head, to slave the TADS while your view is not cluttered with the FLIR image, whereas hitting "I" removes the monocle with everything on it...

• Like 1

Shagrat

On 2/2/2023 at 6:41 PM, shagrat said:

Because it is nice to have the symbology, especially the gun-cross, to point the "line-of-sight" with your head, to slave the TADS while your view is not cluttered with the FLIR image, whereas hitting "I" removes the monocle with everything on it...

Is that realistic? Shouldn't this be reported to ED if it is?

Speed is life !!!