AH-64D Flight School (w/ video tutorials)

bradmick

6Dec22 Edit: Added individual links to the videos in addition to the playlist. Added Autorotation video.

4Dec22 Edit: Added playlist to YouTube videos covering these topics and removed broken track files.

Playlist:

Individual videos:

Ground Taxi

Hover

Level Acceleration Takeoff

Rolling Takeoff

Limited Power Takeoff

VMC Approach

Rolling Landing

Deceleration to an OGE Hover

Navigation and Trim

Terrain Flight

Simulated Single Engine Fly-Away

Power On Autorotation

Climbs, Descents and Turns

Performance Page

Flight Controls:

Pitch Attitudes and NVS Techniques:

Things to Avoid and Maneuvering

Slope Landing:

(Out of Date) To LMC or Not to LMC...

What you should be doing...

(Out of Date) My method of using the trim...

Note: Normally I fly central position trimmer, but I completely forgot that I had swtiched to Instant Trim to try out and talk about for a comparison video...So in this video I'm using Instant Trim and my brain definitely didn't like it. Oh well, nothing like doing it live, amiright?

Points and Routes:

Note: Allergies are real, apologies for the raspiness of my voice at points.

Hovering Turns, Force Trim Use, Hold Modes Enabled vs. Active

LMC Redux

Note: With the new patch, the TADS now operates like in the real thing, this video is more of an addendum to my previous video: To LMC or Not to LMC... than an outright replacement. More a reinforcement of the technique presented in the previous video.

Datalink Setup

Edited by bradmick
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 22

Moved from Force Trim

-------------------------------

I’m a big fan of the central position trimmer. It mirrors actual force trim procedures with one caveat: you don’t recenter the stick in the aircraft. But the procedure is the same.

1. Press and hold the force trim interrupt

2. Move the flight control to the desired position

3. Let go of the force trim interrupt while simultaneously letting go of the stick to center the joystick.

Alternatively:

1. Move the flight control to the desired position

2. Perform a short press and release of the force trim button then immediately let go of the flight controls to center the stick

The other thing to work on is making “millimeter movements” on the flight controls. You’ll want to make large movements to set the initial fight control positions, and then use “pressure/counter-pressure” with your fingertips to maintain position. If you’re finding yourself fighting the trim. Then perform a short press of the force trim release button to adjust the flight control reference point. 

the other thing to remember with the central position trimmer is that it WILL lock out the axis trimmed until you recenter, so if you keep pressing the pedal or holding the cyclic in position, you won’t be able to fly at all until you center the controls. 

In summary, the mantra:

Interrupt (the the force trim), set (the flight control in the desired position), release (the force trim and flight control to center)

interrupt, set, release.

Hope it helps! New pilots to the Apache struggle hard with this too, so don’t feel bad.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

• bradmick changed the title to AH-64D Flight School (w/ Track Files)
  • Wags pinned this topic

For the Limited Power Takeoff I first pick the aircraft up to a hover, check my hover power and use that as my simulated power limit, which in this scenario was 70%.I apply forward cyclic as necessary to maintain a level VSI while accelerating the aircraft to max endurance rate of cimb approximately 70 knots) before committing to the climb and adjusting for 90 knots and 500fpm rate of climb. The purpose of this maneuver is to provide a means of taking off when operating in "High, Hot and Heavy" environments and the surface isn't suitable for a rolling takeoff.

For the Level Acceleration I again pick up to a hover, check my hover power 70% and then pull a minimum of 10% above my hover power while applying forward cyclic to maintain a level VSI. Around 55 to 60 knots I apply aft cyclic to initiate the climb while adjusting for a 500fpm rate of climb and 90 knots.

The level acceleration takeoff is the preferred takeoff as it commits to a level acceleration and ensures you remain out of the height/avoid region entirely.Accelerating to Vx (best angle of climb, ~55 kts) allows for an earlier commitment to the climb and thus aids in obstacle avoidance.If distance allows, accelerate to Vy (max endurance/rate of climb airspeed, ~70 kts to provide the best climb and power margin.

The Rolling Takeoff provides the crew the ability to takeoff in a "High, Hot and Heavy" environment when surface conditions are suitable for the takeoff.For training, a power limit of 10% below hover power (60% in this case since hover torque is 70% was used. First the stabilator is set to zero to minimize drag on the airframe.

The collective was increased to 30% torque prior to displacing the cyclic forward and then progressively increased until the simulated power limit was reached. As the aircraft took off, more forward cyclic was applied to maintain a level VSI while accelerating the aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Roll-On Landing:

The purpose of this maneuver is to allow crews to land the aircraft when operating in a "High, Hot and Heavy" enviroment and terminating to a hover is not an option. It also provides crews a means of landing when surface conditions are poor (sand, dust, snow), where the goal is to be on the ground before the cloud envelops the aircraft, which typically occurs once below ETL (16 to 24 knots) when the downwash is no longer "behind" the aircraft.

I begin the maneuver at 700ft AGL at 90kts, while turning to base begin a smooth, progressive descending and decelerating turn. A shallow approach angle is preferred (300 to 500fpm). Maintain your LOS on the intended point of touchdown, and place the flight path vector slightly above it to ensure you don't under arc. On final, verify the suitablity of the surface for landing, the tail wheel is locked, light off and the parking brake released, handle in. Smoothly and progressive decelerate the aircraft and touchdown at or above ETL (16 to 24 knots) or calculated Velocity Safe Dual Engine (VSDE). I tend to carry a bit more airspeed as a techinque until the last 50 or so feet of the approach and allow the tail wheel to contact first and then gently cushion the mains. You can also adjust for a 40 knot attitude (the helicopter hover and "at rest" attitude) for a perfect 3 point touch down. Once the aircraft is on the ground, reduce the collective to settle the aircraft, and then smoothly increase collective to ensure the TQ is > 30% dual engine and apply aft cyclic to aerodynamically brake. Use pedals to control the heading and lateral cyclic to control the roll attitude of the aircraft. If needed, use the toe brakes to assist in stopping the helicopter. Once the aircraft has stop, neutralize the flight controls and lower the collective to the full down position. 

Edited by bradmick
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

VMC Approach to an IGE Hover

The purpose of this maneuver is to transition from forward flight to a 5 foot stabilized hover.

I begin the maneuver at 900 feet and 90 knots, during the base turn I descend to 700ft and 70 knots and work to maintain 70 knots and 700 feet until i've intercepted by desired approach angle. Once I intercept my desired approach angle I place my LOS on the intended point of touchdown and lower the collective to establish a rate of descent while also applying aft cyclic to prevent the nose from pitching down. I maintain an approximate 600 to 700 fpm rate of descent and gradually reduce it 500 FPM while smoothly decelerating the helicopter. At approximately 150 feet I transition from a decelerative attitude to a maintenance attitude and drive the aircraft "forward and down" at 24 knots (the top end of ETL). At 50 feet visibility with the intended point of landing is lost and side to side references are used to assist in maintaining the approach angle. The PNVS can also be used to "look through" the aircraft and assist with maintianing the approach angle. Hover torque is smoothly applied as the aircraft approaches 10 feet to assist in arresting the descent, because of inertia the helicopter will settle slightly and a slight amount of aft cyclic is applied to slow the aircraft. The combination of aft cyclic and increasing the collective assists in aerodynamically braking the helicopter.

Things to think about:

- The flight path vector is controlled vertically with collective and laterally with cyclic.

- If the transition from a decelerating attitude to a maintenance attitude isn't made at approximately 150 feet, expect to terminate at a high OGE hover...however you likely won't have the proper power applied to support this and likely settle with power. Always think "forward and down".

Edited by bradmick
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as i recall it the track files are going to break after updates. especially if there are changes to the flight model. I can't count the times where i crashed in the track file but in reality never crashed. They don't always work as you would expect...

I think making these track files is going to cost you a lot of time and the track files might become unusable quite fast. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, I've finally gotten around to making some short videos to cover the material above since the track files keep breaking. They're short, simple and to the point. I'm not a fancy video maker. As I get time I'll add more lessons to the list. Find the link below:

Enjoy!

V/R

Brad

Edited by bradmick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thank you! 👍

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

I am still a bit confused on the significance of the 'go/no-go' numbers. The 'required' numbers specify the necessary torque for IGE,OGE hover at the specified environmental params. The little box at the bottom left of the page tells me how much the aircraft can provide. The video stated that the 'go/no-go numbers are the torque required at a 5 foot hover. But I already know that from the 'required' number in the IGE column. 

So what is the use / meaning of the go/no-go row? Later in the video u were comparing the required IGE to the go/no-go OGE.What?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

• ED Team

The Go/No-Go torque values allow you to see what torques correspond with the Max Gross Weights. As seen in the video, if the aircraft weighed 21,730 lbs, it would take 100% torque to hover IGE. If the indicated torque value when attempting to hover IGE were to be 101%, or if you couldn't lift off the ground into a 5 foot IGE hover, than the actual aircraft gross weight is clearly exceeding the max allowable gross weight for dual-engine IGE hover.

Likewise, if you lift off the ground to a 5 foot IGE hover and the indicated torque is 82%, but the Go/No-Go torque for OGE is 80%, that is telling me that I do not have sufficient power to hover at 80 feet. But the OGE Go/No-Go torque allows me to determine that in IGE conditions prior to even attempting to climb to an OGE hover.

So in essence, the Go/No-Go torques let me know which torques should I expect to see at a 5 foot hover, if my actual gross weight is at either the IGE or OGE values in the MAX GWT window immediately below it. If I do a hover power check and my torques are above either of those values, I know I am overweight for hover operations at IGE or OGE altitudes respectively. Hence, Go/No-Go.

In contrast, the REQUIRED torques are predicting what torques I should expect at 5 feet and 80 feet respectively, based on the current pressure altitude, free air temperature, and current gross weight. If those torques are lower than the Go/No-Go torque values, that lets me know my power margins in case I need to take on more fuel and/or munitions. However, you would never want to actually match your REQUIRED and Go/No-Go torques, because that means you have no torque margins for maneuvering, and that is assuming that the environmental conditions won't get worse as the day progressed, or worse at your objective area.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

34 minutes ago, skypickle said:

I am still a bit confused on the significance of the 'go/no-go' numbers. The 'required' numbers specify the necessary torque for IGE,OGE hover at the specified environmental params. The little box at the bottom left of the page tells me how much the aircraft can provide. The video stated that the 'go/no-go numbers are the torque required at a 5 foot hover. But I already know that from the 'required' number in the IGE column. 

So what is the use / meaning of the go/no-go row? Later in the video u were comparing the required IGE to the go/no-go OGE.What?

Instead of thinking of the Go/NoGo numbers directly, think about what they represent.

If I tell you the max gross weight you can hover OGE is 18000lbs. How can you tell that your aircraft is above or below that weight, other than trying to hover OGE and seeing that the torque is limiting?

The thing about torque is that for a given set of environmental conditions, the torque will correlate to the gross weight of the aircraft, very predictably. So you can calculate what torque will represent a gross weight of 18000lbs at a given altitude (in this case 5ft). And then if we hover at 5 ft and see the torque is higher than that number, we can say that the gross weight is higher than the 18000lbs we used to calculate from.

Thats what Go/NoGo is, its a value that if you are above you can determine you are above the max GWT.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Torque = Weight and Weight = Torque. For a given set of conditions a given weight will equal a calculated torque and vice versa. The IGE value is greater than the OGE because the IGE is calculated at a 5 foot hover which places the helicopter firmly “in ground effect” where induced flow is interrupted by the ground thus reducing the required blade pitch angle, drag and torque. The OGE value is calculated at an 80 foot hover height. At this altitude the induced flow is allowed to fully (because the ground doesn’t interfere with it) develop and requires the pilot to apply more collective to achieve a given thrust. Go/no-go OGE tells you the maximum weight the helicopter can weigh (using torque) using maximum torque available, not to exceed 100% (when engine power available exceeds 100%).

Edited by bradmick

5 часов назад, admiki сказал:

I don't know about Ka-50, but only Mi-24 has it as far as I know. And that is only because it will actually move pedals.

Are you talking about heading hold part of SCAS? Just hold force trim release when moving around

on mi 24 and ka 50 I fly without a pedal trimer, for this I first turn it off in the settings and I wanted to do the same in Apache