MAP disappears on TSD

baksie
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

AM I doing something wrong? On my TSD the map only shows at scales 50, 75 and 100. Lower scale or higher scale map disappears

Intel I7-10700K, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe, MSI Z490 ACE, RAM:64GB DDR4 3600, WIN 10-64, 1080Ti😩

Waiting on a good RTX

AH-64D|AV-88|A10CII|F15E|F16CM|FA18C|F14B|NV|PG|Syria|Synia

That is due to not all DCS maps having map image files for all scales included. That is, ultimately, something for the map creators to do and not an Apache bug.

Edited by Shimmergloom667
  • Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

31 minutes ago, baksie said:

AM I doing something wrong? On my TSD the map only shows at scales 50, 75 and 100. Lower scale or higher scale map disappears

At lower ranges the system looks for matching high detail "charts" i.e. 1:100K, and if there isn't one, it'll default to a black background.

However, there's nothing stopping you manually selecting a lower detail chart that is in the system i.e. using 10 NM range with the 1:500K scale chart in the PG

TSD 10 NM scale using 1-500K scale, PG, Screen_220322_123011.jpg

You also have the option to select a "Digital Elevation" and "Satellite" map "Type", instead of the "Chart".

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/296268-apache-missing-maps/?do=findComment&comment=4923221

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I'm assuming this is a sim limitation (the fact that there are not charts available at all scales, whereas in the real world there might/should be?), but I wonder how the real aircraft handles in this situation? For me, it makes more sense as I keep zooming in for the closest available scale chart to keep showing, rather than showing a blank screen (e.g. to keep the 1:500k chart showing as you keep zooming in beyond that scale). Would be nice if that was selectable, perhaps as an option in the settings, to bridge the gap between reality and the limitations of the sim.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:30 AM, Ramsay said:

You also have the option to select a "Digital Elevation" and "Satellite" map "Type", instead of the "Chart".

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/296268-apache-missing-maps/?do=findComment&comment=4923221

The odd thing is I often prefer the satellite map for contrast reasons and being able to discern the text, yet I cannot zoom out beyond 25 before the satellite image disappears.  In F 10 I can zoom all the way out and this is fine.  Maybe a limitation of the real AH-64?

• Like 1

• ED Team
  • Solution

This is due to the terrains not having the correct digital map for the chosen scale. I have mentioned it to the team 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 3/28/2022 at 5:43 PM, BIGNEWY said:

This is due to the terrains not having the correct digital map for the chosen scale. I have mentioned it to the team 

thanks

Please Bignewy, the need of a rework of the map charts is a must. Not to asociate bigger scales to zoom on TSD, but having a proper scale map.
If im not wrong the maps should be free
There are places  in DCS that are just black when you go to a smaller scale. This happens on every map and its affecting all modules with moving maps.
The most recent ones the Hind and the Apache, were you need to go to a smaller scale than fixedwings
I latetly have to tell newcomers to helicopters that asked about "why my map just went black", that is because there are no charts on the maps

Please please you have the oportunity to fix this

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, Renko said:

Please Bignewy, the need of a rework of the map charts is a must. Not to asociate bigger scales to zoom on TSD, but having a proper scale map.
If im not wrong the maps should be free
There are places  in DCS that are just black when you go to a smaller scale. This happens on every map and its affecting all modules with moving maps.
The most recent ones the Hind and the Apache, were you need to go to a smaller scale than fixedwings
I latetly have to tell newcomers to helicopters that asked about "why my map just went black", that is because there are no charts on the maps

Please please you have the oportunity to fix this

Please bare in mind even in real aircraft when a map scale is not available it will also be blank, but as mentioned we are discussing it internally. 

thank you

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please bare in mind even in real aircraft when a map scale is not available it will also be blank, but as mentioned we are discussing it internally. 

thank you

Yes, I know. Of course I'm not asking for a 12K:1, just a reasonable one for helicopters. Plus that work will benefit all DCS modules with a moving map.

Thanks BN