Can George "Remember" Target

dresoccer4

So in a crowded battlefield I'm assigned with attacking a single VIP target (a soft-skin truck). I'm the pilot and George is CPG who is manning the gun. As we approach the battlefield I tap up to get a large target list. I'm having to scroll way down and keep my eye on the TADS to try and find our VIP. I find him and tap "right" to confirm target. I hold "up" to let George he's free to fire. 

I fly in to begin the attack run and George fires off a burst and misses. I break away to the left and circle back around for a 2nd run. However as soon as TADS loses target lock, George himself seems to have forgotten who our VIP target was that we were just attacking. And I don't have time to scroll scroll through dozens of enemies again to find him in the middle of attacks runs. I want Goerge to continue attacking the same enemy until he is either destroyed or I change targets. 

Is this possible at the moment? I've had this scenario a couple times. Cheers

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• ED Team

Hi, 

once you are in a target area and George has selected a target you can use down long on the AI menu to have him search the same area again. 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

30 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

once you are in a target area and George has selected a target you can use down long on the AI menu to have him search the same area again. 

hi thanks for your response. however I'm not sure it answers my question. My question is about having George remember the same target for multiple runs.

In a saturated battlefield with many enemies it's not feasible to have to scroll through a massive target list when attempting to hit a single target with multiple attack runs. Does my explanation make sense?

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• ED Team

I see, currently once the selected target is destroyed he will need to acquire a new target from the AI menu. In the future he will search for targets but I am not sure currently if he will select targets himself or not. 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

17 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I see, currently once the selected target is destroyed he will need to acquire a new target from the AI menu. In the future he will search for targets but I am not sure currently if he will select targets himself or not. 

thanks

ok we're getting closer!

I'm wanting to know if George will remember a target if he loses it on the TADS. AKA If I'm circling on the battlefield doing multiple attack runs on the same target, will George remember the target without me having to re-select it each run

• Like 1

I hope this will get implemented. It is my experience so far that George will NOT re-aquire a lost target automatically. The George command down long, commands a re-search of the same area, but I’m unsure if the target select menu is designed to give the target closest to the designated point will appear in the top of the list…

If it does in fact work that way, that’s the next best thing really, to George auto reaquiring the target. Needs to be tested and confirmed though…

• Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

45 minutes ago, chrisofsweden said:

I hope this will get implemented. It is my experience so far that George will NOT re-aquire a lost target automatically. The George command down long, commands a re-search of the same area, but I’m unsure if the target select menu is designed to give the target closest to the designated point will appear in the top of the list…

If it does in fact work that way, that’s the next best thing really, to George auto reaquiring the target. Needs to be tested and confirmed though…

cool, thanks for confirming what I'm experiencing. Just trying to find out if I'm doing things right.

So if George loses a target on his TADS, then he immediately forgets what the current target is, even if we circle back around to face it again. As far as I'm aware long down just repopulates the list with highest priority first (SAM, AAA, etc).

So if I'm targeting a specific vehicle (sometimes out of dozens) then there is no way to have George re-acquire it. This makes things very difficult if trying to do multiple attack runs to take out a single enemy. In fact I'm not sure there's a way to do it at all currently? 

If anyone else has figured this out please chime in. 

14 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

cool, thanks for confirming what I'm experiencing. Just trying to find out if I'm doing things right.

So if George loses a target on his TADS, then he immediately forgets what the current target is, even if we circle back around to face it again. As far as I'm aware long down just repopulates the list with highest priority first (SAM, AAA, etc).

So if I'm targeting a specific vehicle (sometimes out of dozens) then there is no way to have George re-acquire it. This makes things very difficult if trying to do multiple attack runs to take out a single enemy. In fact I'm not sure there's a way to do it at all currently? 

If anyone else has figured this out please chime in. 

No, long down is as BigNewy posted above, "research last designated search spot". The sole purpose of this command (as far as I understand) is that you don't have to put your eyes on the target to re-search the same spot again.

In other regards it works just as the up-short-command. He will make a new search/scan of the last designated search spot and display the list again based on what he finds this time. If the previously "lased and stored" target (that was lost) is in the same spot, you could think it would be at the top of the list, but it might not, because at the previous search, you might have selected a target from the list that was farthest away from the search "point". I agree this needs further clarification.

However, there could/should be another way around this (if things work correctly). If you do a up short command, select a target from the target list, George should lase and store the target. If that's the case you could change acquisition source to that target point which would make George slave the TADS to it. But for now I believe George doesn't actually store the target as a point, and probably wouldn't acquire the target for weapons delivery again "automagically" either.

We're still in early early access and I'm confident George as CPG functionality will be fleshed out further to make it smoother to operate.

@BIGNEWYWhen performing George up short or down long commands, how is the list of targets sorted? By distance from designated "search at"-point, by threat level or type? Or perhaps both in some way?

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz

• ED Team
1 hour ago, chrisofsweden said:

When performing George up short or down long commands, how is the list of targets sorted? By distance from designated "search at"-point, by threat level or type? Or perhaps both in some way?

As I understand George first sorts by threat, SAMs go first, then distance from point which was designated for search

26 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

As I understand George first sorts by threat, SAMs go first, then distance from point which was designated for search

Thanks Big! I'm fairly certain I've seen a list result where a SAM unit has not been at the top of the target list... but until myself or someone else verifies this we'll leave it for now.

2 hours ago, chrisofsweden said:

No, long down is as BigNewy posted above, "research last designated search spot". The sole purpose of this command (as far as I understand) is that you don't have to put your eyes on the target to re-search the same spot again

17 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

As far as I'm aware long down just repopulates the list with highest priority first (SAM, AAA, etc).

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

so yeah looks like my first intuition was correct. Long down re-populates the previous picker-list with highest priority first. 

maybe in the future we can separate George from TADS so even if TADS loses a target, George will still remember until you've destroyed the target. 

• ED Team

Its planned to have george able to search for targets, and hopefully store targets also.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Its planned to have george able to search for targets, and hopefully store targets also.

fantastic! it's already fun as it is now, but adding that additional functionality will really make George and the Gang super lethal 

• ED Team

yeah we will keep tweaking based on feedback from you all and the AH-64D will get even better. 

thanks

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

he doesn't need to search the area again, as he just did that, he should know where the targets are by now, you need to be able to pull that list instantly and tell george now get that tank for instance. Also when he has a list of targets you should be able to select multiple targets in advance and then george should eliminate/ attack the targets in that order.

why would i need george, if i fly towards 20 infantry he needs to search 20 times. i can just take the gun and mow the 20 infantry down.

you need a human gunner to be effective, with george in its current state its not very effective.

Edited by DoctorVixen

4 hours ago, DoctorVixen said:

he doesn't need to search the area again, as he just did that, he should know where the targets are by now, you need to be able to pull that list instantly and tell george now get that tank for instance. Also when he has a list of targets you should be able to select multiple targets in advance and then george should eliminate/ attack the targets in that order.

why would i need george, if i fly towards 20 infantry he needs to search 20 times. i can just take the gun and mow the 20 infantry down.

you need a human gunner to be effective, with george in its current state its not very effective.

You do complain a lot for a module that is in early access.

Yes, George will get that capability, yes George has his bugs, yes we would all like to have fully functional helicopter. It will come.

• Like 1