Gun as a pilot: Shots way to short or too long. in short

Eisprinzessin
Go to solution Solved by Eisprinzessin,

Hi there:

My shots are so far away from the "cross" thats....hm...i dont get what i do wrong. Neither i take 800, 1500 or Auto ... there not even in the nearer surrounding of the crosshair.

Help qould be much appresciated, couse without hitting it is kinda no fun 🙂

I boresightet the HMD as required.

Recorded 2 Clips:

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Edit: (didn't read properly)

Depending on your speed and offset from your flight path you are aiming at - that may be how it is.

Try to observ if the bullets hit the spot where your crosshair were when you squeezed the trigger.

You may also try to shoot straight ahead in a dive. In this case the bullets should pretty much impact on the crosshair.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

HMD gunnery is a skill same as looking down iron sights and hitting targets at 50, 100 and 500 yards.  Remember, bullets inherit angular velocity from their firing platform, too, so you have to adjust your lead to compensate.  Also, setting your zero down from 1500 meters helps, too.  Try 800 for starters and you'll find less round impacting far above where you're aiming at up close.  Same as iron or holographic sights, when you set your zero you still have to compensate when you fire a rifle for the bullets arcing in flight.  Think of this like setting a zero at 50 yards--at 100 yards you have to aim lower because the bullets are arcing higher once they pass this point, but somewhere between 200 and 250 yards they cross back to zero again and beyond that you have to aim higher than what you're trying to hit because of bullet drop.

This article has some useful tables to illustrate my point:

https://unclezo.com/2020/11/25/the-mythical-50-200-yard-zero/

Edited by Mr_Blastman

I mean, I changed from auto to 800 and 1500 and nothing changed. Sure I have to compensate, but they are not even close to the cross hairs.

I watched cosmos video about it and tried to make as near as Jim with an absolut destructive result.

When ich shot in Front the bullets impact an the same way. Short like hell.

When I fire 80° right the bullets can be off because of speed and movement, sure. But not 50% short.

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

• Wags changed the title to Gun as a pilot: Shots way to short or too long. in short

I have to check tomorrow. But until now I didn't touch the flir. Shall I make a recording of my boresight process?

I mean there's not much what you can to wrong?

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:

OK, as i said already i did not touch the flir until now. I have the modul just since yesterday and made everything in the startup how it is mentioned in the videos from Casmo and Wags.

I fly in VR an dwith Track IR with the same result. Sometimes the shots are insanely wide, sometimes short. I think too that there is some boresight problem cause this deflection has nothing with the movement of the bird to do.

I make a short recording tomorrow from who i boresight.

Specs:

I'm also having some trouble with gunnery accuracy. 

Coming from the BS2 which has a literal sniper rifle from 3km away I thought the Apache's accuracy would at least be equivalent. My shots seem to hit ~50 meters in front of the sight at 2.7km

image.png

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

I'm also having some trouble with gunnery accuracy. 

Coming from the BS2 which has a literal sniper rifle from 3km away I thought the Apache's accuracy would at least be equivalent. My shots seem to hit ~50 meters in front of the sight at 2.7km

image.png

It's impossible for an Apache to match the accurracy of the Ka50 canon, the 2A42 doubled (at least) the barrel lenght and uses a larger ammo (113mm on the Apache, 165mm on the Ka50)

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

8 minutes ago, MikeDeltaWhiskey said:

I have the same issue, oddly if i pick any "Instant Action" AH-64D mission the Pilot Gun works flaweless, on point.....

…which would indicate a problem with the boresight alignment from a cold start indeed.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Oooookaaaaaayyyy

I wanted to make a clip this morning, showing my startup and afterwards the shooting problem. But it disapeared. The gun shots exatly where i'm aiming. 

AND: i swear by god, i did not do anything different like yesterday. the only difference was the map. yesterday nevada, today syria. but i dont think it has something to do with it.

I try more in the evening - then with VR (since i struggle there with fps since the last update).

Specs:

• ED Team

Its always best to make a short track replay showing potential issues. 

I would guess that wind played a factor in your different tests?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Good thing to check. I will look to wind settings in the ME after work, but i think it was set much wind. Im a noob and i can not handle winds 😉

No, i check more in the evening and let you know.

Specs:

• Solution

I think i fugured it out.

I had the HUD rendered for both eyes. This made 2 Crosshairs appearing for the Boresighting. I closed one eye and boresighted, which obvisiualy was an mistake.

I shwitched to left OR right rendering and it works. With both eyes you have to take the center between the 2 Crosshais (both eyes is most comfortable for me)

• Like 1

Specs:

This is why the real one only renders in one eye. 🙂 It's never going to be as accurate as the gun on the Ka-50, which is much longer, has a stiffer mount and uses more powerful ammo. The Apache saturates the target area with rounds, instead of sniping things like Ka-50 does.