Was there a change to the BLG-66 bombs?

Hodo

Last night I decided to do some air to ground work with the Mirage.  I was able to use mk82 slicks without any issue and found they were a little more accurate.  I was hitting truck groups from 18kft.  But when I went to use the BLG-66 cluster bombs I did a 30deg dive on target and released at 10kft... The bombs not only fell way short but also they exploded in reverse... The bombs almost looked like they flew backwards at the ground missing my target by a good mile.  

Same target as with the slicks, same approach direction same weather same aircraft no change other than landing and rearming while running.  

CCIP is pretty much the same on every aircraft in DCS.  I can drop mk20 rockeyes off a F-18 in CCIP and they hit where the pip is or at least close.  Same for the Harrier... And the MiG-29, Su-27/33 J-11a, and Su-25T.  CCRP is pretty much level bombing.   

Even when I retested at below 10kft with a shallow dive to line up the target the bombs still went the opposite direction.  

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

CCIP is pretty much the same on every aircraft in DCS.  I can drop mk20 rockeyes off a F-18 in CCIP and they hit where the pip is or at least close.  Same for the Harrier... And the MiG-29, Su-27/33 J-11a, and Su-25T.  CCRP is pretty much level bombing.   

Even when I retested at below 10kft with a shallow dive to line up the target the bombs still went the opposite direction.  

I'm sorry, but the Mirage is NOT the F-18 or Harrier, or.... Just read the manual or ask in the Razbam Discord. CCPI in the Mirage is not meant for dive bombing.
(Razbam Discord: https://discord.gg/34FshcbZ)

uitzmotnrbedbe.jpg

Edited by felixx75

I retested last night from a drop at 5kft AGL, 2.5kft AGL at a speed between 350kts to 400kts IAS.  Both times I was within the manuals perimeters and the bomblets exploded in reverse order last bomb to first.  Each getting further from the target.  At 2.5kft the distance was 500m from target out to 900m with a 40m spread.

Don't believe me try it for yourself.

Just tested this out (dropped within parameters) they are currently dropping way short. Looks like something is wrong with the bombs the way they decelerate.

I've been flying the Mirage for years using these bombs and something has definitely changed.

Funny people keep giving advice without testing it, took all of 5 mins.

• Like 1

I just did some tests and can conform this,the BLG-66 does fall short after the update,something must has been changed(at least the explosion animation)

450kts and 300ft level bombing

8 BLG-66 and 20m interval

Time I pulled the trigger :

123.png

All bombs fell short:

234.png

Track Replay:

BLG-66 fall short test 2.trk

Edited by Akiazusa
  • Like 1

Kyoto Animation forever!

5 hours ago, Sweeney302 said:

Funny people keep giving advice without testing it, took all of 5 mins.

Funny people keep answering without reading (and thus understanding) the question. You are not helping here.

The OP asked about issues dropping BLG-66 while dive bombing from 10000 feet AGL.

Since this is completely outside specification, there wasn't any test required : yes BLG-66 should never dropped in dive bombing and yes this will lead to being completely off-target and scattering will be useless.

Now if bombs fall short in normal bombing profile, this is another problem.

Edited by Kercheiz
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Akiazusa said:

I just did some tests and can conform this,the BLG-66 does fall short after the update,something must has been changed(at least the explosion animation)

Thanks this is exactly what I found as well.

Which answers the OP's question:

Was there a change to the BLG-66

There was definitely a change to BLG-66 FM, I can confirm.

Now, doing CCIP with BLG66 at any altitude of 2.5kft or more has never worked in DCS, has never worked IRL, is fully out of conditions of use from the manual, and it will not change.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:35 AM, Akiazusa said:

450kts and 300ft level bombing

8 BLG-66 and 20m interval

Time I pulled the trigger :

123.png

All bombs fell short:

234.png

Track Replay:

BLG-66 fall short test 2.trk 112.78 kB · 4 downloads

Can you please file a bug report with your tracks in the bugs sections?

regards,

Snappy

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 9:52 PM, Hodo said:

Last night I decided to do some air to ground work with the Mirage.  I was able to use mk82 slicks without any issue and found they were a little more accurate.  I was hitting truck groups from 18kft.  But when I went to use the BLG-66 cluster bombs I did a 30deg dive on target and released at 10kft... The bombs not only fell way short but also they exploded in reverse... The bombs almost looked like they flew backwards at the ground missing my target by a good mile.  

Same target as with the slicks, same approach direction same weather same aircraft no change other than landing and rearming while running.  

I'm late, but it's working great right now !

• Like 3

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 1 month later...