Yaw axis oversensitive ?

flo57100
Go to solution Solved by RodBorza,

Hello there !

I do not know if it is a bug, or something that is accurate on the real Apache, that's the yaw axis sensitivity,

It is now days I try to properly set my rudder pedals yaw axis, I tried everything, curves (I tried +40), dead zone (30  and +), and that's always the same result: the helicopter swings energitically its tail like a happy fish, which results in loss of control and crash everytime I give even a very small input on the pedals.

• Solution

Try to change the Pedals to No Spring FFB. 

And then, use curvature 0 and 90 on Y curvature. The solution is not set curves, because they get very sluggish at the start of input, and then they suddenly increase. The important thing is to reduce the rate at which movement occurs.

Then start changing curvature to your liking. Mine is set at 20 and 90 Y curvature.

And use collective very, very slowly. The torque onset on the Apache is much greater than other DCS helos.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

On 3/23/2022 at 4:01 PM, RodBorza said:

Try to change the Pedals to No Spring FFB. 

And then, use curvature 0 and 90 on Y curvature. The solution is not set curves, because they get very sluggish at the start of input, and then they suddenly increase. The important thing is to reduce the rate at which movement occurs.

Then start changing curvature to your liking. Mine is set at 20 and 90 Y curvature.

And use collective very, very slowly. The torque onset on the Apache is much greater than other DCS helos.

Using the "No spring FFB" option is bad advice if the OP is using pedals that return to center position when released. That trimmer option is for hardware that has no center detent and stays where you leave it when you let it go.

If you use this trimmer option with pedals that return to center when released, the pedals position in the sim won't stick to wherever they're trimmed and will return to the center of their axis, meaning you can't trim the pedals at all.

• Like 1

I agree to the last comment you must NOT use a no spring with a pedal that return to center alone. I perfectly fly with a 0/100/100/11 adjustment of my TPR pedals. For sure they are costly and very high quality specially the hall effect command is much less noisy around 0 position than usual potentiometers but they are a pleasure to fly with helos. Also don't use force trim to take off and be very light and accurate on all commands

• Like 1

16 hours ago, key_stroked said:

Also bad advice. 🙂

The manual specifically says to depress force trim up and hold it while you get enough torque to get weight off the wheels. After that it's much easier to stabilize the ascent.

What exactly does holding the trim do compared to just tapping it? The manual doesn't say.

27 minutes ago, Pixel of Life said:

What exactly does holding the trim do compared to just tapping it? The manual doesn't say.

In the apache, the stick is held in position with magnets at the desired location. holding the trim button turns them off so the stick can move freely. Letting go of the trim turns them back on with the new center position being where the button was released.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tech_op2000 said:

In the apache, the stick is held in position with magnets at the desired location. holding the trim button turns them off so the stick can move freely. Letting go of the trim turns them back on with the new center position being where the button was released.

Yes, I know that, but I was asking what the difference between holding and tapping is. In both cases the magnets are disengaged and re-engaged and the center point is reset to the current position. So why does the manual specifically call for holding the trim while you raise the collective, instead of tapping it when you reach the desired torque value? Is it just to make the controls easier to move since you're not fighting the magnets?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixel of Life said:

Yes, I know that, but I was asking what the difference between holding and tapping is.

I am flying with Logitech G940 (FFB), but I know from others using no-ffb ones, that as long as You're not using FFB, there's no difference really if You keep the trim or just tap it on no-ffb joystick. Even more, with currently implemented Flight Model I find more comfortable to not to keep trim while maneveuryng but tap it when I'll achieve stable flight.

And that is totally oposite to what I am used to do in Ka-50, MI-8 or Mi-24. Apache is just too sensitive with default axis settings so it provides better "machine feeling" to me when I have resistance on stick while establishing the stable flight.

Edited by Amarok_73
  • Like 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

14 hours ago, Pixel of Life said:

Yes, I know that, but I was asking what the difference between holding and tapping is. In both cases the magnets are disengaged and re-engaged and the center point is reset to the current position. So why does the manual specifically call for holding the trim while you raise the collective, instead of tapping it when you reach the desired torque value? Is it just to make the controls easier to move since you're not fighting the magnets?

that is correct. If you were to hold pressure against the stick, then tap it to center on a new spot, it would instantly change in force and cause a bit of a jerk of the control. If you held it before moving off its position, you would have no additional force fighting you as you move the stick. This would make it easier to move, and remove any force bumps you would get otherwise. 

• Like 1