Night Refuel & Nose Illumination

Zodiacc

Yes, we can safely approach a tanker with NVG.However AFAIK pilots do not use NVG while refueling (maybe in combat zone).Therefore we have nose illumination which supposed to help us to see the boom as the manual says, but it is not functional.

I just want to fly properly with my good old hog which is 10+ years old module.....

15 hours ago, Zodiacc said:

Yes, we can safely approach a tanker with NVG.However AFAIK pilots do not use NVG while refueling (maybe in combat zone).Therefore we have nose illumination which supposed to help us to see the boom as the manual says, but it is not functional.

I just want to fly properly with my good old hog which is 10+ years old module.....

It's there and working, it's just REALLY hard to see under typical room conditions.  In VR with an Odyssey+, which uses OLED's, I preferred night AAR with no NVG's because the nose lighting seemed adequate.  In the G2, which uses backlit LED's, it's almost impossible without NVG's. 

In any case, I thought I recalled reading in the flight manual that NVG's were allowed in all phases if the tanker lights were compatible

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 10:55 AM, jaylw314 said:

It's there and working, it's just REALLY hard to see under typical room conditions.  In VR with an Odyssey+, which uses OLED's, I preferred night AAR with no NVG's because the nose lighting seemed adequate.  In the G2, which uses backlit LED's, it's almost impossible without NVG's. 

In any case, I thought I recalled reading in the flight manual that NVG's were allowed in all phases if the tanker lights were compatible

And the KC-135s aren’t.

One missing thing is the lighting on the tanker.  Underbody, underwing, and floodlight brighten things up irl.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, jaylw314 said:

Inside the G2 I only manage AAR without NVG's when I crank up the gamma.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png