OpenXR for Varjo AERO using OpenCompositeACC mod: works great, very smooth

peachmonkey

45 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Perhaps my rig isn’t as strong as yours, Don, I cannot get good fps via SteamVR at 100% on Aero’s Very High setting (that’s 3.6K horizontal pixels per eye) and typically needed around 80% downsampling for typical DCS use.  For me OpenXR visual is slightly ahead at 100% vs SteamVR at 80%, although I need to check out the latest SteamVR update at some point.  So I’m still going to be switching around between these two options.

Are you overclocking that 9900k on all cores? I have mine running at 5.1 GHz on all 8 cores. Hyperthreading disabled in bios.

Also my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3  I have overclocked to around 2050 MHz boosted.

Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames I have set to 3 in NVCP.

Game Mode on, HAGS on in Windows 11.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

30 minutes ago, dburne said:

Are you overclocking that 9900k on all cores? I have mine running at 5.1 GHz on all 8 cores. Hyperthreading disabled in bios.

Yep CPU is 5.0GHz all core. Don’t remember about my GPU but moderately OC also, however the BIOS has a thermal limit so it typically won’t go beyond 70C when pushed unlike the top-end version. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

24 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Yep CPU is 5.0GHz all core. Don’t remember about my GPU but moderately OC also, however the BIOS has a thermal limit so it typically won’t go beyond 70C when pushed unlike the top-end version. 

Could be just some  minor differences in our graphics settings who knows. My cpu core temps highest I see is around 74c.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Seems the Developer of Open XR Toolkit is now working on possibly getting eye tracking with fixed foveated rendering working with the Aero and DCS. If he pulls this off I will certainly be giving the Open XR Mod for DCS another try.

Don B

guys this looks amazing and the performance is great. Still having trouble with distortion or maybe barrel effect though. I can't seem to find a hedy.lua to delete in my saved games. Interestingly enough the debug tool says i am still using Reverb G2...any thoughts?

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

23 minutes ago, jasonstory44 said:

guys this looks amazing and the performance is great. Still having trouble with distortion or maybe barrel effect though. I can't seem to find a hedy.lua to delete in my saved games. Interestingly enough the debug tool says i am still using Reverb G2...any thoughts?

With the Open XR Mod it reports the Aero as a Reverb G2. 

Don B

Thanks dburne.  And I sorted out the swap of top and bottom to fix it. I was only doing one

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

• 2 weeks later...
En 7/4/2022 a las 14:43, dburne dijo:

Hello, we have exactly the same configuration, and activating this Game Mode on, HAGS on in Windows 11 all the games in general lowers my fps and raises latencies. Are you okay with that on? (Game Mode on, HAGS on)

12 hours ago, pastranario3 said:

Hello, we have exactly the same configuration, and activating this Game Mode on, HAGS on in Windows 11 all the games in general lowers my fps and raises latencies. Are you okay with that on? (Game Mode on, HAGS on)

Yeah been a few weeks since turning them on but they improved my experience a little so have just left them on. I did no scientific testing just seat of the pants feeling. I would note I also went back to Steam VR as well.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Question about the installation that confuses me: 

the OCXR_WMR_ACC ... the first post says to put the D3DCompiler_47.dll into a  \D3DCompiler_47 directory.  In the .zip though this dll is put into the main directory, not a  \D3DCompiler_47 directory...     Do we need to manually create this directory and place this dll in it or do we leave it as is in the .zip?

Thks 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Just open the zip and drag the contents (3 files and 1 folder) into the \bin folder that has DCS.exe file. It’s supposed to be that simple, remove them to uninstall if you don’t like the mod. 
You will need the original openVR_api.dll after uninstallation which can be obtained by simply running DCS repair. 

Edited by Supmua
  • Thanks 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

26 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Just open the zip and drag the contents (3 files and 1 folder) into the \bin folder that has DCS.exe file. It’s supposed to be that simple, remove them to uninstall if you don’t like the mod. 
You will need the original openVR_api.dll after uninstallation which can be obtained by simply running DCS repair. 

Have there been any improvements  made to this for the Aero? I tried it when first released and while I gained maybe 3-5 fps I felt I lost a little in image sharpness, so went back to Steam VR.

Don B

16 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have there been any improvements  made to this for the Aero? I tried it when first released and while I gained maybe 3-5 fps I felt I lost a little in image sharpness, so went back to Steam VR.

Not that I know of but you might gain a bit more performance with HAGS off.

If they fix the issue with Varjo’s OpenVR and DCS in the future I might not even use this since it would be OpenVR direct to headset without an extra OpenXR wrapper.

Edited by Supmua

16 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Not that I know of but you might gain a bit more performance with HAGS off.

If they fix the issue with Varjo’s OpenVR and DCS in the future I might not even use this since it would be OpenVR direct to headset without an extra OpenXR wrapper.

Ok thanks much -  since I am happy with what I have now think I will just stick with it. I so enjoy flying versus tweaking lol.

Don B

I tried this yesterday and it's a huge performance boost here... however for some reason my valve index controllers are not working using this mod. They are working fine in the Virtual Desktop as well as in DCS when I run it normally but as soon as I start it with OpenXR the gloves are not appearing in DCS and the controls don't show up in the DCS controls. Anybody encountered the same issue? Is anything else I need to do to make them working? 

Cheers!

7700K GTX1080 32GB Rift-S

20 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok thanks much -  since I am happy with what I have now think I will just stick with it. I so enjoy flying versus tweaking lol.

Yeah stick with what works best for you.  I’m pretty much open to anything that would improve current visuals or performance, and if something better comes along then I’m up for that too. 

DCS crashes if I enable FSR and then lower the resolution in the openxr menu below 100% (which by my understanding you need to do for it to actually apply upscaling?) anyone else having this issue? just got my aero today and the image looks amazing I'm just trying to cut down on the ghosting

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

The newest OpenXR Toolkit (1.1.0) supports OpenXR resolution override for the Varjo now.  It's in the last tab in the setting window, I've been using around 90% rendering (of 3.6k horizontal pixel using Very High mode) and couldn't really tell the diff in visuals but this allows me to maintain constant 45+ fps in Apache hotstart Syria now.  I suggest avoid using FSR or NIS as that degrades visual quality and use the resolution override instead.  It also adds CPU bound indicator which pops up when that happens, very useful.

What's even better is eye-tracking or dynamic foveated rendering which works perfectly in MSFS, unfortunately not in DCS.

• Like 1

well even if I wanted to fsr and nis crashes DCS for me for some reason, I'll try dipping the resolution override down a little and see where it lands me. My real issue is I think I have a bit of the dreaded smear/ghosting going on with my HMD, gonna play around with it for the night and reach out varjo about a possible RMA 

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

31 minutes ago, DavePastry said:

well even if I wanted to fsr and nis crashes DCS for me for some reason, I'll try dipping the resolution override down a little and see where it lands me. My real issue is I think I have a bit of the dreaded smear/ghosting going on with my HMD, gonna play around with it for the night and reach out varjo about a possible RMA 

If you are seeing visual issues with DCS but not other games then the problem is DCS, which has some known issues with the Aero.  I didn't crash with FSR or NIS adjustments, btw.

Not sure if you've done this already, but I recommend the following.

1. Delete everything related to Reshade within the bin folder, known incompatibility with OpenXR route.

2. Force DCS to run in SteamVR mode, otherwise it'll use Varjo's OpenVR which is currently not working well with DCS.  Add the force option to DSC.exe app (Target box in Properties window), "\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR

3. Use WMR Crosseye alignment tool and flip both L and R eyes (top<>bottom), this will correct distortion and visual artifacts.  

Edited by Supmua

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

The newest OpenXR Toolkit (1.1.0) supports OpenXR resolution override for the Varjo now.  It's in the last tab in the setting window, I've been using around 90% rendering (of 3.6k horizontal pixel using Very High mode) and couldn't really tell the diff in visuals but this allows me to maintain constant 45+ fps in Apache hotstart Syria now.  I suggest avoid using FSR or NIS as that degrades visual quality and use the resolution override instead.  It also adds CPU bound indicator which pops up when that happens, very useful.

What's even better is eye-tracking or dynamic foveated rendering which works perfectly in MSFS, unfortunately not in DCS.

Man oh man it would be so sweet if it did. I did not realize he had released that yet for MSFS, I will have to do a quick flight and check that out. Can't take much time away from my Apache learning process though. I am a determined individual when it comes to the Apache.

Don B

9 minutes ago, dburne said:

Man oh man it would be so sweet if it did. I did not realize he had released that yet for MSFS, I will have to do a quick flight and check that out. Can't take much time away from my Apache learning process though. I am a determined individual when it comes to the Apache.

Fixed foveated gave 1-2ms frametime reduction in DCS, not too bad but when you glance to the side or up/down it's jaggy.  I'd definitely use dynamic FR if they can make it work with DCS since it helps reduce my GPU overhead.  Now the only map that still crushes my fps is Marianas.

4 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Fixed foveated gave 1-2ms frametime reduction in DCS, not too bad but when you glance to the side or up/down it's jaggy.  I'd definitely use dynamic FR if they can make it work with DCS since it helps reduce my GPU overhead.  Now the only map that still crushes my fps is Marianas.

Yeah Marianas are gorgeous but brutal on performance.

Don B

Anybody got the new universal branch of this mod to work with the Aero?  It doesn’t seem to work for me and would start in 2D only. The older version still works fine. 

I managed to get the universal mod to work, had to edit the .ini file and disable some settings (and also Varjo reset, I think).  Now when running crosseye tool, it showed my Aero as Oculus Rift CV1, lol.  Interestingly though, you don't really need to run the crosseye tool with the Aero now as the default setting seems spot on.

Here is the zip containing the files for people who do not want the headache, just drag and drop into the bin folder that contains DCS.exe.

Suggested settings for Varjo Aero:

-DCS gamma 2.1

-OpenXR Toolkit: System: res 3360x2879 pixels per eye (this is the lowest res I've used without noticeable difference in visual quality vs default 3608 pixels, including shimmering)

-OpenXR Toolkit: Appearance: contrast 50.5, saturation 52.5, highlight 97 (this reduces blownout white on clouds retaining more definitions), shadow 0.5 (making it pop a little more)

**best map to test, Apache Hotstart runway Marianas, if your system can handle it**

EDIT: to remove yellow haze (personal pref), lower Red and Green in R G B section to 47 each, leave Blue at 50.

OpenXRDCS.zip

Edited by Supmua