OpenXR for Varjo AERO using OpenCompositeACC mod: works great, very smooth

peachmonkey

2 minutes ago, fastf1nger said:

Is the tutorial on the 1st page still up to date?
I´m a little bit confused after reading the last 8 pages 😉

Always wondering that too 🙂

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

7 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Always wondering that too 🙂

hey, guys, @Brainfreeze, @fastf1nger

i'll update the first page to reflect the changes, however they are minimal and non-impacting. The overall approach is pretty much the same, except for an updated .dll and the .ini files, however the files referenced in the first page still work with the current DCS releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we still need to use the "cross eyed" tool from ED? I cloned left to right (I'm right eye dominant) but swapping "Top and Bottom" puts me way too high in the cockpit. I don't notice any issue without the swap. Just received my Aero today so still trying to get everything dialled in. It's a very different beast to the G2!

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

32 minutes ago, zildac said:

Do we still need to use the "cross eyed" tool from ED? I cloned left to right (I'm right eye dominant) but swapping "Top and Bottom" puts me way too high in the cockpit. I don't notice any issue without the swap. Just received my Aero today so still trying to get everything dialled in. It's a very different beast to the G2!

if the in-game picture doesn't skew when you tilt your head then no need to run it. 

The 'position' of your head using OpenXR does put you way above everything. I need to 'recenter' my VR view using Num5 every time I launch the game. Recenter has nothing to do with the cross-eyes WMR tool.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I keep getting this error when launching DCS.

Reading through the OpenComposite guide it it mentions this about DCS:

* These games use an old version of D3DCompiler_47.dll that is incompatible with some OpenXR Runtimes. If you experience an error with OpenComposite resulting in a -2 error code then find the D3DCompiler_47.dll in the game install dir and rename to D3DCompiler_47.dll_orig. This will then use the one from your system path that should be the latest version if your system is up to date.

I tried using the original D3DCompiler_47.dll, the one that came with OCXR_WMR_ACC versions 0.6.1 and 0.6.3 as well as deleting D3DCompiler_47.dll from my DCS\bin folder as the guide mentions, but no dice.

image.png

Resolved! Was chatting on the Varjo discord and someone suggested doing a full DCS repair and checking the "Search for extra files after repair" checkbox. I completely missed that option during the couple of full repairs I did. I must have had some VR shaders or something, and I know I had something to modify the NVGs in VR in there, that I must not have properly cleaned out. Everything is working well, can easily swap back and forth between Steam OpenVR and Varjo OpenXR with ease. Thanks for taking the time to look at this with me!

Edited by da_drake

Rig: i9 10900K | 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3600MHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition | ROG STRIX Z-490-I | 2x 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & Base w/ 200mm Curved Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gladiator NXT Standard Left | VPC ACE Flight Pedals | VPC Control Panel 1 & 2 | 3x BlackHog B-Explorers | DOF Reality P3 | SimShaker JetPad FSE | Varjo Aero

Hangar: F-86F | F-5E | A-4E* | AJS-37 | F-14A/B | F/A-18C | AV-8B | F-15C | P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | AH-64D | SA342 Gazelle | UH-1H | UH-60L* | Mi-24P | Christian Eagle II

Gentlemen, I've got a question. Does this method of running Varjo through the hacked/programmed OpenXR make reprojection possible for the Aero? 
No

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I tried it as described in the top most post. Works perfectly.

But as we dont have motion reprojection, how do you guys get a smooth experience. If I roll the jet around I see the horizon split off with double vision. My system can achive 60 fps steady. Motion reprojection on or off does not help either.

I tried it as described in the top most post. Works perfectly.
But as we dont have motion reprojection, how do you guys get a smooth experience. If I roll the jet around I see the horizon split off with double vision. My system can achive 60 fps steady. Motion reprojection on or off does not help either.
Have you tried enabling vsync in VB?

Yes VSync is on. But when I roll the aircraft the image gets blurry and splits apart between both eyes.

Edit: The first post also tells not to activate Vsync, but I tried it anyway without success.

image.png

Edited by darkman222

I have pretty good luck with vsync on locked at 45 fps. Long as I have my settings where I can maintain 45 fps. My image certainly does not get blurry or split apart when I roll the aircraft. Can't explain why yours does though.

I would note I am running through native Steam VR though. I tried the Open XR Mod for a bit though and don't recall having that with it either.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Yes VSync is on. But when I roll the aircraft the image gets blurry and splits apart between both eyes.

Edit: The first post also tells not to activate Vsync, but I tried it anyway without success.

image.png

I just don't get the splitting images with my setup and I play regularly although mostly Harrier and Apache these days.  The cockpit can exhibit slight motion blur (because no motion smoothing) if you move your body side to side quickly on an x axis, but I don't really do that when I roll.

Static capture of those parameters won't help much because that only shows one instant of who knows what, and how do other people know it correlates with whatever you're doing at that time.  Try using OpenXR toolkit with Advanced overlay to display CPU and GPU frametime numbers from within DCS if you are using OpenXR.  Or use fpsVR to do the same thing if you're using Steam's OpenVR mode.  Then capture a video while doing the roll then we can see exactly what happens while checking out those numbers in real-time.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Can someone please give me a quick help here, what exactly Vsync does? Sorry noob question: But we dont have motion reprojection, got it. Which is like motion smoothing I guess. So what does Vsync do? What am I looking for to achieve with Vsync?

It does reduce the frame rate to 45 fps and extrapolates the missing images to match 90 fps then?

My system can achieve 60 fps. So it should be sufficient to keep 45 fps.

3 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Can someone please give me a quick help here, what exactly Vsync does? Sorry noob question: But we dont have motion reprojection, got it. Which is like motion smoothing I guess. So what does Vsync do? What am I looking for to achieve with Vsync?

It does reduce the frame rate to 45 fps and extrapolates the missing images to match 90 fps then?

My system can achieve 60 fps. So it should be sufficient to keep 45 fps.

It does reduce the framerate to 45 fps in most cases. Likely all cases with the Aero lol. You can also lock it there in the analytics window-performance tab. Locked at 45 fps and I find my GPU runs a little cooler.

But no it does not interpolate any frames. I myself fly it this way and am happy with it. I would note also I use Steam VR rather than the Open XR Mod, but that does not really matter in this case.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Okay got it. As stated we dont have motion reprojection / motion smoothing, but the common practice is to lock the Aero to 45 fps to avoid juddering. Which is like irregular stutters.

But without motion smoothing fast movements will always get double images, blurred edges until we have a motion smoothing / projection equivalent OR a GPU that can deliver steady 90 fps steady.

Is that correct?

Yeah.  Unless you can maintain the same fps as the screen refresh rate you’ll never get perfect images.  For now don’t go crazy on the head movements when you fly and just look left right up down when you have to.

I don’t really lock fps if I play in OpexXR mode, the frame pacing is better than SteamVR.  I do get better images in SteamVR though but mostly because of Reshade not the api itself.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 2 weeks later...

In my case and with my system, i get better fps and frametimes when i disable OpenVR and only enable OpenXR in Vario Base. Enabling VSync and/or locking it to 30 or 45 doesn´t help in my case. Also reducing resolution to....lets say 3000 hoizontal in OpenXR Toolkitdoesn´t make a different for me, tried it back and forward. But will test this more 😉 Clarity is still amazing and performance is ok in most cases, just Marianas and some populated areas in South Atlantic will get stutters here and there....

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

• 2 weeks later...

Good Day Everyone-

Please forgive me if this issue has already been addressed.  I finally got OpenXR to work with DCS with OpenComposite.  The issue I have, which is a silly one, is now that I am not using SteamVR anymore, how the heck do I recenter what I am seeing in the Varjo?  The image is wayyy too high and I have to back up as well as look down to see the screen LOL.  Also, OpenVR is still popping up on the screen as well as the OpenXR menu, is it suppose to be like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

10900K | ROG Maximus XII Formula | NVidia GeForce RTX3090 | GSKill 64GB | DCS on 500GB NVMe | Varjo Aero

Edited by CoaCoaPuff

1 hour ago, CoaCoaPuff said:

Good Day Everyone-

Please forgive me if this issue has already been addressed.  I finally got OpenXR to work with DCS with OpenComposite.  The issue I have, which is a silly one, is now that I am not using SteamVR anymore, how the heck do I recenter what I am seeing in the Varjo?  The image is wayyy too high and I have to back up as well as look down to see the screen LOL.  Also, OpenVR is still popping up on the screen as well as the OpenXR menu, is it suppose to be like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

10900K | ROG Maximus XII Formula | NVidia GeForce RTX3090 | GSKill 64GB | DCS on 500GB NVMe | Varjo Aero

Same DCS recenter VR keybind -- hit it once and you're good to go.

Not sure what you mean by the OpenXR menu, but Aero uses SteamVR for tracking, so that's why you see the OpenVR pop-up.

53 minutes ago, CoaCoaPuff said:

Thanks BlackDog - that seems to work ONCE I am in the cockpit but when the game initially starts, the recenter VR keybind doesnt work.  Any ideas?

Try assigning the VR Recenter in the UI Layer rather than the plane module layer. 

• Like 1

Don B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2022 at 4:04 PM, peachmonkey said:

hey, guys, @Brainfreeze, @fastf1nger

i'll update the first page to reflect the changes, however they are minimal and non-impacting. The overall approach is pretty much the same, except for an updated .dll and the .ini files, however the files referenced in the first page still work with the current DCS releases.

Still have a nagging question:  You say " I recommend you navigate to the latest release page: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr " but all I see there is a link to a openvr_api.dll which you provide a link to yourself.  So not sure if there is anything on that release page that is useful to our process and needs to be downloaded ?

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

In short: replace openvr_api.dll with the one from Gitlab or the one I attached. It works for me. Located at: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin

Then create a shortcut and add in the "target" box:

--force_steam_VR

Now start DCS with that shortcut. Works for me with the Varjo Aero.

image.png

openvr_api.dll

Edited by darkman222
  • Thanks 1