Is there Rudder trim on the real Apache?

Rhinozherous
Go to solution Solved by Hiob,

The Apache is the first module where the "Rudder trimmer" option is more then a checkbox in special options.

I wondered if the Rudder in the real chopper is also trimmed to a new center position when using the Force Trim Release button?

Edited by Rhinozherous

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

there is a trim switch on the Pedals? never noticed that. I have a few hours in german helos, BO 105, R33 could not get more cause of health issiues...... 😞 never seen a trim funktion for the rudder there. Maybe we mean the same? you put the pedel in an direktion an it stays there, more or lees in RL 🙂

if not i would love to see some pictures if possible. Always nice to learn more 🙂

1 hour ago, Grennymaster said:

there is a trim switch on the Pedals? never noticed that. I have a few hours in german helos, BO 105, R33 could not get more cause of health issiues...... 😞 never seen a trim funktion for the rudder there. Maybe we mean the same? you put the pedel in an direktion an it stays there, more or lees in RL 🙂

if not i would love to see some pictures if possible. Always nice to learn more 🙂

Not actually a trim switch. They are called micro switches. The pedals are actuated by the AFCS depending on your demand on the collective to keep you in trim. 

So if you push the micro switches it set a new reference Datum for heading hold. If you let go (feet off) the AFCS maintains that heading depending on your collective setting. Over a certain IAS you would have to press the switches in order to maintain a coordinated turn. 

I believe the apache works that way too, but it's just not possible to implement Sim wise. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

1 minute ago, exil said:

Not actually a trim switch. They are called micro switches. The pedals are actuated by the AFCS depending on your demand on the collective to keep you in trim. 

So if you push the micro switches it set a new reference Datum for heading hold. If you let go (feet off) the AFCS maintains that heading depending on your collective setting. Over a certain IAS you would have to press the switches in order to maintain a coordinated turn. 

I believe the apache works that way too, but it's just not possible to implement Sim wise. 

The apache does not have switches on the pedals.  Force trim is via the force trim release on the cyclic which releases the pedals for retrimming and the cyclic simultaneously. 

Edited by kgillers3

2 hours ago, Grennymaster said:

Helos in generell dont have a trim on the Rudder as far as i know. the whole system is hydraulik so the pedals stay whre you left them. same ist with the Cyclic but this is with an magnetic break.

Errr…yes they do. The last 8 different types I have flown in the last 20 years all have had yaw trim. Only a couple of types I’ve been rated in in my career that didn’t have it. Most IFR certified types will have it integrated in the afcs.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

The apache does not have switches on the pedals.  Force trim is via the force trim release on the cyclic which releases the pedals for retrimming and the cyclic simultaneously. 

Yes. In DCS. I believe not in the real aircraft. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

1 hour ago, exil said:

Yes. In DCS. I believe not in the real aircraft. 

It has force trim options in game and in real life are both linked to the force trim release located on the hat on the top left of the cyclic. There maybe a check box in dcs to disable force trim on the pedals that I don't know for a fact. 

Edited by kgillers3

Why do people talk without having certain knowledge?

• Like 8

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

54 minutes ago, Devrim said:

Why do people talk without having certain knowledge?

Enlighten us then...

• Like 1

A trim feel system is incorporated in both the cyclic and pedals providing a control force gradient with control displacement from a selected trim position. A trim release switch allows momentary disengagement of the trim feel system.

That's what Ah-64 manual says. The trim release switch is the one on the cyclic, there are no other switches on the pedals themselves. 

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• ED Team

Please remember the trim options are there in special menu because of the different types of devices available to the public market. We have to make it as playable as possible, even though the device may not be like the real control set. 

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor einer Stunde schrieb TED:

Errr…yes they do. The last 8 different types I have flown in the last 20 years all have had yaw trim. Only a couple of types I’ve been rated in in my career that didn’t have it. Most IFR certified types will have it integrated in the afcs.  

i think i just cant write it as i meant it. as i did my lessons on the r33 i just put the pedal to where i whant and left it there. for me thats not a trim. for the sim i also have pedals that stay where i left them, got an damper installed. Means i dont have to push a button for holding an pedal position, wich for my understanding is trim.

my intention was not be be rude or something, just shared my understanding. Sry if i sad something wrong.

Just now, Grennymaster said:

i think i just cant write it as i meant it. as i did my lessons on the r33 i just put the pedal to where i whant and left it there. for me thats not a trim. for the sim i also have pedals that stay where i left them, got an damper installed. Means i dont have to push a button for holding an pedal position, wich for my understanding is trim.

my intention was not be be rude or something, just shared my understanding. Sry if i sad something wrong.

How'd you do the damper mod? do you like it? 

Gerade eben schrieb kgillers3:

How'd you do the damper mod? do you like it? 

i got the V3 version of the MFD crosswind pedals, they are provided with threadet wholes for a damper. You can buy one from MFD, he sales a damper kit for them. I got an Steeringdamper from my old motorcycle installed. Works very good. gives you a lot better Feeling 🙂

• Like 1

i got the V3 version of the MFD crosswind pedals, they are provided with threadet wholes for a damper. You can buy one from MFD, he sales a damper kit for them. I got an Steeringdamper from my old motorcycle installed. Works very good. gives you a lot better Feeling 🙂

I want to go that route for dcs, just haven't dove down that road yet. I'm a bit concerned about fixed wing but i'm sure I could figure out a nice middle ground. 

vor 7 Minuten schrieb kgillers3:

I want to go that route for dcs, just haven't dove down that road yet. I'm a bit concerned about fixed wing but i'm sure I could figure out a nice middle ground. 

with the MFD you can detatch the Spring that centers the padels very easy 🙂 so can switch between Helo an fixed wing in a few secs

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please remember the trim options are there in special menu because of the different types of devices available to the public market. We have to make it as playable as possible, even though the device may not be like the real control set. 

Very true, especially FFB pedals are even more of a rarity than FFB joysticks 🙂

5 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

My pedals (Slav Device) have a damper and a spring that is relatively easy to remove, so I just take it out for helicopter flying and install it back for aircraft. A "damper+no spring" combo is great for helicopters but not very practical for flying fixed wing. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

with the MFD you can detatch the Spring that centers the padels very easy 🙂 so can switch between Helo an fixed wing in a few secs

preciate it, I'll keep it in mind. 

Just now, some1 said:

My pedals (Slav Device) have a damper and a spring that is relatively easy to remove, so I just take it out for helicopter flying and install it back for aircraft. A "damper+no spring" combo is great for helicopters but not very practical for flying fixed wing. 

Yeah, I've been meaning to work it out for a while, with the hind/huey I just lock my heel into the floor and do it that way, idk, i'll figure something out. 

thanks for your input @some1 and @Grennymaster

57 minutes ago, Grennymaster said:

Yeah I have the damper mod on my Crosswind Pedals and use the lighter spring.

I probably should detach the spring and give it a try with the Apache. With the lighter spring I may not need to completely detach it just loosed it up some. I am lazy though and when I go back to some Hornet flying or WWII flying I will need to reinstall the spring. Certainly may give it a try with the Apache here soon to see how I like it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, kgillers3 said:

The damper just gives a bit resistance and "weight" to the feel. You can use it without spring and without damper for choppers. I am using a damper, but it is tuned almost to its lowest resistance. I made a quick release for the centering spring, so that I can the MFGs with spring for fixed wing and without for whirly birds.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

21 minutes ago, Hiob said:

The damper just gives a bit resistance and "weight" to the feel. You can use it without spring and without damper for choppers. I am using a damper, but it is tuned almost to its lowest resistance. I made a quick release for the centering spring, so that I can the MFGs with spring for fixed wing and without for whirly birds.

That’s a good idea, appreciate all the input from you guys. I’m at fault for derailing the subject, I’ll probably go down that route. Thanks again, sorry for derailing the subject @mods