Keybind to turn Stick & Collective input controls ON/OFF in the CP-G seat

HoneyBadger

Unlike the real CP/G seat in the Apache with its TEDAC control grips, the vast majority of us use our stick & throttle to control the TEDAC, and for obvious reason we don't have stick & collective inputs bound as we don't want to accidentally move the helicopter around while we're trying to line up a hellfire on a target. I think it would be good if we could have a keybind (that also supports toggle switches) to turn stick & throttle inputs on and off for those instances where we do want to fly the Apache from the CP/G seat.

• Like 1

So you're asking for an axis modifier that would work the same way that button modifiers do? If so then it already exists. 

On my Warthog throttle I've bound my flap switch to act as a modifier when in the Up position. With the switch on my buttons all change to my TEDAC bindings, and my stick axes switch over to TEDAC slew controls.

I'm still refining my setups, but you can see a picture of my bindings here. (Sorry, but I'm having trouble inserting images into my posts. I keep getting empty placeholders.) As you can see, the axis for my MAN TRK X and Y axes show the axis plus a button.

Edited by frostycab

7 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Unlike the real CP/G seat in the Apache with its TEDAC control grips, the vast majority of us use our stick & throttle to control the TEDAC, and for obvious reason we don't have stick & collective inputs bound as we don't want to accidentally move the helicopter around while we're trying to line up a hellfire on a target. I think it would be good if we could have a keybind (that also supports toggle switches) to turn stick & throttle inputs on and off for those instances where we do want to fly the Apache from the CP/G seat.

Isn't that how it works already? If George controls the helicopter then control inputs are already disabled, so you're not going to throw anything off by moving them. And if you take control from George then they are enabled again, but I assume you would always want to have them enabled too if you're in control.

So you can have the controls bound now, without causing any problems and only get actual control when doing the handoff command from George. Just try it if you haven't bound cyclic and collective already :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, arneh said:

Isn't that how it works already? If George controls the helicopter then control inputs are already disabled, so you're not going to throw anything off by moving them. And if you take control from George then they are enabled again, but I assume you would always want to have them enabled too if you're in control.

So you can have the controls bound now, without causing any problems and only get actual control when doing the handoff command from George. Just try it if you haven't bound cyclic and collective already 🙂

I think the issue here is that without using modifiers you can only assign an axis to one control at a time. So for example, if you want to fly from the front seat then obviously you'll want your cyclic and collective. However, if you give control back to the pilot you may want to use what *was* your cyclic to slew the TEDAC around. You can accomplish this using modifiers.

21 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

How can you "get control" from George when in CP/G position? Did I missed something in Waggs videos?

If you look down in the CPG position you'll see that the cyclic is stowed in a folded and locked position and neither the cyclic nor collective respond to inputs. Pressing (default) "C" will unfold it and unlock both it and the collective. You can then fly the aircraft from the front seat. Pressing C again will fold the cyclic away again and return aircraft control to George in the back seat.

What this means is that  you can have your HOTAS set up to run the TEDAC while George is flying. You can then switch on the modifier, which will get your HOTAS to control the aircraft and then take control away from George to fly yourself. You then hand back control to George, switch the modifier again and your HOTAS is bound to the TEDAC.

Edited by frostycab

1 hour ago, frostycab said:

If you look down in the CPG position you'll see that the cyclic is stowed in a folded and locked position and neither the cyclic nor collective respond to inputs. Pressing (default) "C" will unfold it and unlock both it and the collective. You can then fly the aircraft from the front seat. Pressing C again will fold the cyclic away again and return aircraft control to George in the back seat.

What this means is that  you can have your HOTAS set up to run the TEDAC while George is flying. You can then switch on the modifier, which will get your HOTAS to control the aircraft and then take control away from George to fly yourself. You then hand back control to George, switch the modifier again and your HOTAS is bound to the TEDAC.

Aha, great! Gonna try it just now

Thanks

Saca111

• Like 1