Lot of crabbing with no wind

Frag

Hi guys,

I did notice that the Apache commonly hold a crabbing stance even with 0 wind configured in the editor. Is it normal?

I would say that a bit of crabbing should take place when we change direction, but it should correct itself with the air flow after few hundred meters. Am I missing something or it is normal to have the chopper behaving this way even with no wind?

• ED Team

please include a short track replay example so we can take a look. But the aircraft will naturally want to crab, you can trim nose tail or trim aerodynamically.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

please include a short track replay example so we can take a look. But the aircraft will naturally want to crab, you can trim nose tail or trim aerodynamically.  

No track yet but here’s brad’s opinion on the matter. I also quoted his post in the bug reports section under a similar post about crabbing. 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/296438-advice-on-aerodynamic-trim/?do=findComment&comment=4924727

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Note that in order for the Tail Rotor to keep You on a steady heading, You need to add left pedal, which will push You sideways, which again requires some left cyclic.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

You're unaware of translating tendency it sounds like. The aircraft will always push you right naturally because the anti-torque rotor is blowing air to the left. The main rotor is moving air mostly down but also in a counterclockwise swirl due to its circular motion, whereas the anti-torque is always blowing air to the left; since both are not entirely opposite forces they don't completely cancel out. The rotors are on different planes after all. Only the torque of the main rotor gets canceled out (when properly trimmed), the translation and lift are separate forces that are not canceled out.

Edited by GOAE

13 minutes ago, GOAE said:

You're unaware of translating tendency it sounds like. The aircraft will always push you left naturally because the anti-torque rotor is blowing air to the right. The main rotor is moving air mostly down but also in a counterclockwise swirl due to its circular motion, whereas the anti-torque is always blowing air to the right; since both are not entirely opposite forces they don't completely cancel out. The rotors are on different planes after all. Only the torque of the main rotor gets canceled out (when properly trimmed), the translation and lift are separate forces that are not canceled out.

While explanation is correct, TR is blowing to the left