George doesn't understand VRS

Tommyh

Had brought helicopter to a hover before switching to CPG seat. However pilot George started descending despite multiple commands to increase altitude. Eventually he landed and started tipping over. Noticed that as I increased his requested altitude it changed from radar to baro altitude which was lower than the helis baro altitude. not sure if this has something to do with it. I've tried uploading the track file but is larger than 5mb so forum won't let me. is there any other way to send it?

• Like 1

I’ve had this problem a few times now as well. The helicopter is likely kind of heavy, George is pulling too much collective, the rotor rpm drops, George doesn’t know how to fix it, and the  helicopter descends until it and the Earth intersect. As you accelerate through translational lift, the rotor rpm is able to recover due to the increased lift and George can climb again. Kind of frustrating but I think that’s what is happening.

I agree, I noticed the issue in the Scud Buster mission. I also noticed if i reduced fuel to around %50 George can maintain a hover. So yea, must be a weight issue. I've tried to save a track and upload it for devs but can't get Attack file because its over 5mb. 😞

• ED Team
8 hours ago, Tommyh said:

tried to recreate with limited success. In this track George starts descending again as he switches to baro altitude. However in the previous track file he also descended in R alt

george malfunction1.trk 1.12 MB · 1 download

Hi, thanks for the track, 

but its either the wrong one or not playing back correctly for me. 

Its important to handover to George when you are in a stable flight or hover, if you give him a more difficult handover it is going to be more challenging for him, also its important to consider the weight of the aircraft and fly / direct George accordingly. 

We have tweaks coming for George in future patches and the altitude hold mode which will help also. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I can confirm i handed over in a stable hover. I think the problem is that the elevation was about 4000 ft. George was climbing while I was increasing the R ALT however if you keep asking him to climb the value switches to Baro alt. In this case it was about 1500ft which is below the actual aircraft altitude. Therefore he goes from climbing on rad alt to trying to descend to match the baro alt despite being asked to climb.

Hope the explanation makes sense.

Best Regards,

Tom

First want to say what an impressive module the AH-74 is.

One thing – I'm still a little confused by the George hover issue – would love clarification by folks that know what they're doing!

I have encountered this issue many times in different conditions (including when ascending feels easy).  If I get in position and switch to George to hover he will slowly descend. If I request that he ascends (dialling in altitude in flight mode) he will accelerate his descent to ground level!

If I take back flight control I can get back to ascending (if I'm honest, I'm probably moving forward a little). From what I've read above am I right in thinking this is not 100% down to weight/external conditions and that there are some AI issues that will be tweaked down the line?

Any tips/advice for a learning pilot (first DVS rotor module) appreciated.

Thanks.

I can confirm, if I'm CPG and ask George to slow to 0 IAS. He pulls up, stops then we proceed to lose altitude and slam/bounce onto the deck. then we bounce back up and all is well, albeit some damage

Win 10 PRO 64bit

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero MB

Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHZ

EVGA GTX 980ti

32GB G.Skil Ripjaws DDR3 1866@1600mhz

Sound Blaster Recon 3D

Saitek X55 Rhino Stick

Trakir5 W/Pro clip :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Please include a track replay when it happens if possible. 

note the weight of the aircraft and the temperature and the wind state, they could all be factors. 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think it's best to think George as some sort of remote control rather than an AI. Asking George to do a full stop stationary hover at 1500 ft will certainly kill you. A good idea would be to avoid abrupt maneuvers, slow down slowly. Also, stationary hover at high altitude is something you probably shouldn't do as a pilot either.

2 hours ago, juanar10 said:

I think it's best to think George as some sort of remote control rather than an AI. Asking George to do a full stop stationary hover at 1500 ft will certainly kill you. A good idea would be to avoid abrupt maneuvers, slow down slowly. Also, stationary hover at high altitude is something you probably shouldn't do as a pilot either.

I've also had this issue.  Even when I've had him stable and all is fine, asking him to do a 180 induces a drop that he never recovers from.  

I was going to start a topic on this and see there is one. George constantly crashes the Apache when I am in the CPG seat. If I ask him to hover so I can search for targets he fails to control torque and nothing to stop a stall once it starts. He's crashed me at low alts and high alts at fast speeds and slow speeds it does not matter.

Also in Combat Mode when I've asked George to break right or left he likes to drive the Apache right into the ground.

Poor George needs to concept of how to manage his torque and have some understanding that the ground should be avoided.

And no, I don't have track files because I have anger issues and rage quit when ole George crashes me into the ground.

• Like 1

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*

• 1 year later...

I like to sit in the CPG seat and get George to chauffeur me around. Problem is when you're in the H/B mode and sliding around there's a high chance George will put the aircraft into VRS and you'll plummet to the ground.

George should avoid killing us both when following commands.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, BubiHUN said:

tracks doesnt work 

Not sure what you are talking about, they work fine.
Here you can see george going to hover mode, puts it in vrs and kills us.

George can't VRS 2.trk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I like anime girls, planes and planes with anime girls painted on them.

Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon and General Dynamics should take after Anaheim Electronics and sell brand new prototypes to mentally unstable civilians.

Looking for any sign of intelligence on this forum.

image.png

I've observed the same issue recently. Track attached:

CA AH-64D George VRS.trk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

5 hours ago, admiki said:

George will VRS if asked to get into hover while doing something else like turning, descending

Not necessarily. He also runs into a VRS when flying level and straight ahead while tryin' to get into hover. Just watch my track.

However, he should be able to avoid a VRS - even if he's descending and/or turning.

Edited by AstonMartinDBS
  • Like 2

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

20 minutes ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

Not necessarily. He also runs into a VRS when flying level and straight ahead while tryin' to get into hover. Just watch my track.

What did I just say? Dont get him slowing into hover and descending?

Either get him to get into hover and descend or descend and get him into hover. Not both at the same time

Screen_230507_221829.jpg

37 minutes ago, admiki said:

What did I just say? Dont get him slowing into hover and descending?

Either get him to get into hover and descend or descend and get him into hover. Not both at the same time

You didn't watch my track. I just asked george to get into hover and nothing else - and he ran into a VRS. I didn't command him to descend or turn. Roger?

• Like 1

[OS] Windows 11 Pro