trouble understanding the difference between acquisition source vs sight select

skypickle
Go to solution Solved by kgillers3,

Am I right to say that for the current laser Hellfires, the 'sight' can only be the TADS since lasing is involved when firing is involved? I mean HMD as 'sight' is only meaningful for guns and rockets right?

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

5 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

image.jpeg
Am I right to say that for the current laser Hellfires, the 'sight' can only be the TADS since lasing is involved when firing is involved? I mean HMD as 'sight' is only meaningful for guns and rockets right?

In the most practical sense, yes. The TADS and Laser can only be controlled by the front seater, and yeah autonomous Hellfire launches need the TADS as the sight. 

However….. it is possible for the pilot to WAS up MSL and fire them, with HMD as SIGHT. The likely use case is a remote LOAL LO/HI traj shot against a target illuminated by a third party. As pilot set your ACQ SOURCE to the JTAC provided grid location and set your traj to LO or HI. Get within constraints and fire. You get Hellfire time of flight and the usual messages in the left part of the HAD. Pretty useful for remote shots, without need to move to the front seat, and pretty satisfying to shoot a target from a defilade which you can’t even see. 

Edited by AvroLanc
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2022 at 5:28 PM, AvroLanc said:

As pilot set your ACQ SOURCE to the JTAC provided grid location and set your traj to LO or HI. Get within constraints and fire.

I'm finally getting my head around the process, really finding the CAQ useful when working with JTAC etc. I do have one question, its relating to using the SKR as ACQ SOURCE. Is this a valid way to engage with MSL when target is lased by another unit or is the correct way to created a point in the TSD?