Struggling with FPS

Eisprinzessin

Hi there.

Im really struggling hard with FPS since the Apache Update. I barely can reach more then 35 FPS in the AH64 or the HIND (and it even looks by far not so good like sturmovik or ACC as example which i play smooth) with following settings:

PD 1.0
SS in Steam VR at 38% locked on 45 FPS

I mean, it looks okayish, but the FPS is a pain really...

Any tips what i can to?

System:

128 GB Ram
Intel I9-10900 @ 3.7
GeForce RTX3080
HP Reverb G2

A couple of month ago i remember getting 45 fps most of the time with not touching the settings (came back now to DCS cause of the AH)

VR.jpg

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

lt depends on what is causing your bottleneck , my guess is CPU, invest in FPSVR (its a few dollars) to get a read on it but i would guess its CPU ...  if thats a K series CPU i would strongly recommend over clocking it assuming you have a good cooling solution ... in the mean time turn MSAA down to x2  I have a guide here which might help:

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Appreciate Speed-of-Heat's concerns about CPU limitations, one option is to test this stuff out on an empty caucasus map and at least get your GPU tuned.  

No way you're gonna be able to drive MSAAx4 with that GPU.  I would suggest turning that off altogether, run Steam resolution back up to 100% and take her for a spin.  

• Forest visibility should about match vis range, you can back off a little on that.  Maybe a lot
  • Might gain a little by backing off on "resolution" 

That said, your settings aren't very aggressive, other than the MSAA thing.  You should be able to hold at least 45fps down low to the ground, probably quite a bit more if you get rid of it.

Now the question is, do you want anti-aliasing, and if so, how bad do you want it?  

You can try post-processing.  Check out ReShade (there's a thread below) and you could try SMAA or FXAA.  Neither one is great, but they don't cost many milliseconds. 

If you absolutely must reduce resolution to be able to fly with the settings you need, start dialing down Steam resolution until it starts working.  

If you still find yourself below 80%, check out one of the fholger scaling mods, like the VR Performance Toolkit.   It should handle scaling a bit better than WMR and may give you a better picture.  

I'm not a huge fan of downscaling just so you can run MSAA -- I think it causes a blurry mess -- but then I'm up at 15000 feet trying to spot stuff on the deck.  I'm sure you have different needs, but perhaps this approach might at least clarify things for you. 

ETA: Oh yeah the OpenXR mod.  Now that would make sense with MSAA.  

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Im running my i9-10900 @ 5.0ghz with no thermal issues never gets over 70c. And yes msaa x2. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

With the AH-64 you should see an immediate improvement in FPS if you turn the preload radius down to 100000 and turn your Textures and Terrain Textures down to medium.

I saw a big jump in FPS by just turning the textures from High to Medium and haven't really noticed any significant difference in visual clarity.

I recommend just trying those simple settings changes first before doing anything else.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Im running my i9-10900 @ 5.0ghz with no thermal issues never gets over 70c. And yes msaa x2. 

i9-10900K is mine.

Can i ask you a dump question? How do you overclock?

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

There’s a lot of different programs to overclock the cpu I not sure what’s the most popular one maybe this one for intel

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html

or this one 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

maybe YouTube it there zillion of videos. I personally use my Alienware Command Center to overclock my cpu and use Msi afterburner “free program “ for my gpu.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

4 hours ago, Eisprinzessin said:

I have only High and Low in the settings menue for Terrain Text. ...

Yes, sorry, I forgot there's only those two options for Terrain Textures, but for the Textures only option above it, there's the medium option, which helps a lot.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

16 hours ago, Burt said:

There’s a lot of different programs to overclock the cpu I not sure what’s the most popular one maybe this one for intel

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html

OK, after test the Programm tells me that theres no overclocking possible on my system. 😞

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:

Well then if it doesn’t have a K at the end

i9-10900K or KF then maybe your right it can’t be overclocked. It should Turbo boost to 5.2 GHz if you run the rig at a high performance power level I believe. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/199328/intel-core-i910900-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

mine is a i9-10900KF and is able to overclock.

Start Date April 2020 

Here’s some info on the turbo boost it’s enabled by default maybe your somehow got disable. Also in your power settings maybe try to select High Performance mode then retest. Notice how I say maybe… I’m not really a tech savvy myself.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032427/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Start Date April 2020 

turn off MSAA and put your sliders to min except for preload radius, which you can max out.  Anisotropic to 8x, 16 does nothing better. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

SS is Supersampling. You can reduce it to lessen the pixels drawn or rais it up to get sharper image in cost of performance. 

You can lock your fps in the settingspage of Steam VR.

Specs:

There is just no way you should be getting this bad performance. I was using a 3080 for a while and running svr at 100%, pd 1.0.

Mdaa x4 will tank any performance. Just turn that off and see how u get on. That alone will make a big difference. 

Other than that, I cant recommend highly enough the openxr route. Check the thread and follow the guide and it's pretty simple. U get more control, plus fsr and should get some more appreciable gains. 

Edited by TED

Yes, i will try it next week. I have installed the shaders for 2.7.9. Is there a newer version for 2.7.11?

Looks good and brought me some fps. I caped to 30 fps now, (60 in general) but it looks a bit flickering. Have to test more.

Specs:

You may have something running in the background that is unnecessary. Try making sure Auto updates and Notifications are all disabled while running the sim/vr.

Start Date April 2020 

In your NVidia Control Panel what is your pre-rendered frame setting on ? If it’s on 1 maybe try setting to 3 - restart and retest.

just a thought as I going to experiment with this alittle later because I heard are running it at 3 and I have always had it 1

it wouldn’t hurt to try to see if it eliminates some of the flickering.

Start Date April 2020 

Dump all the reshades and start over with a clean dcs bin folder that's all original. 

See how your performance is then with msaa off and svr res at 90 % and pd in dcs to 1.0

Do a simple sp test mission on map of your choice. Then just use that as test reference bench. 

After that I'd install openxr and follow the guide so u bypass steamvr opening at all. 

Make sure nothing else unecesary is open on your pc and minimise any open Windows and check your Internet speed. If u can run ethernet, do it. If u on WiFi the make sure its fast and preferably 5ghz. This i learnt the hard way as ibwas using a poor 2.5 GHz broadband WiFi and it struggled. 

Finally Google dcs optimization for pc nvidia. Lots of good adjustments you can make in Windows settings and nvcp. 

I'm absolutely sure you can be getting a solid 45fps and smooth in apache with high dcs settings. 

Edited by TED

Make sure Steam doesnt have your res set at some super-high number.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Ted , very true about testing internet speed. On a Sunday afternoon in my neighborhood my speed goes down and start to get alittle more stutters here and there. I tested 1 day as I usually get 980ish download and 30 ish upload “ Gigablast connection “ my wife was losing her walking dead show and I was stuttering. When tested them I was getting 280ish and terrible long uploads. So yes a stable internet is most definitely crucial !

Start Date April 2020